This might sound crazy, but....

Thread: This might sound crazy, but....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This might sound crazy, but....

This might sound crazy, but has anyone thought of an antennae to boost the atomic sync signal in our homes? What is it 60K hertz? I can't imagine it would be that difficult. What do you think?
    "To Conquer the Sea is to Conquer the Soul"

Seiko

Re: This might sound crazy, but....

Quote Originally Posted by aafanatic View Post
    This might sound crazy, but has anyone thought of an antennae to boost the atomic sync signal in our homes? What is it 60K hertz? I can't imagine it would be that difficult. What do you think?
    Don't worry, it's been thought of before. People have made special contraptions to amplify the signals. Not sure how well they work, but I can't be bothered. It's like waiting for a kettle to boil.

I used to find my atomics would sync easily in the bathroom; not sure if that was true or not tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by aafanatic View Post
    If you're in SF proper, you normally shouldn't have any problem picking up signal from Colorado. However, if you're at sea, you may have to wait until you're in port or otherwise in range of a calibration source. Then again, it's a Casio which means were talking about a few seconds or so of deviation even without a current sync.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nothing like that is required since Casios' system is quite good. The important thing to remember is the signal is just radio waves, which are subject to many types of interference. Weather being a big factor, and isn't always evident. So before placing critical focus on the watch. A little studying of the technology behind the entire atomic system would answer your questions.
    Cheers...
    posted via BlackBerry Bold

The make passive cell phone repeaters to bring the signal inside. The same thing should work for the atomic signal, but the antenna has to be tuned to the precise frequency.

I remember back in 2004 I think it was when a member of this forum actually built a booster antenna to enhance his Antman and it worked. But he was quite knowledgble in radio technology. I can't fully remember what he did but I think it involved tin foil and a kitchen sink.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

yes the wwvb (north america) signal is 60khz, as is the uk signal and one of the japan signals. that frequency is typically considered longwave.

there are such things as parasitic elements that are genuinely capable of altering rf transmission without a physical connection to the driving component. those are a far cry for the cell phone booster stickers which are, by everything i know, somewhere between scam and placebo.

i happen to have a gw5500 that refuses to sync, and just this weekend started thinking about wiring up an antenna to connect to the watch (with back plate removed) for grins and giggles. the easiest way to go about this might be to find a used radio-sync wall clock and hack out the antenna from it.
    Last edited by a-Tom-ic; November 2nd, 2009 at 20:12.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Super fun Thanks all :thanks !! I can get mine to sync but it's always Japanese roulette. I don't need a perfectly synced watch anymore than I need an anti reflective stealth watch, or even the moon phase for that matter. It's all just fun with watches. I am going to look into making an antenna just for fun. I'll tell you if it works.
    Enjoy.
    "To Conquer the Sea is to Conquer the Soul"

Seiko

I am an expert in this field, but based on what I've studied all these years if you wanna get a good signal reception probably you need these things:

antenna + preamp (if signal's too weak) + bandpass filter + signal amplifier

The last 3 elements are usually analogue, but you can replace it with a DSP to consitute a digital filter if you've nerves of steel and a little bit of Einstein intuition.

However after you've extract the signal out you'll still need to decode it, but this is the watch job anyway. If you are looking for a way to boost signal reception I hope I helped you a little bit. Here is a link to help you out a little bit:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...vers/index.php

For the fun of it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information