Military Cloth GA-100MC Gang Arrives, Quick Review and Pic, Pic, Pic..
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Military Cloth GA-100MC Gang Arrives, Quick Review and Pic, Pic, Pic..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Military Cloth GA-100MC Gang Arrives, Quick Review and Pic, Pic, Pic..

I like hanging out on WUS forum. This is the first resource to know about the next to be released G's. And this is where I learn that there will be GA-100MC series release in July: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gsh...ml#post6503371 and Casio Releases G-SHOCK Watches with Color Variation, Based on GA-100 Model

The use of color stripe cloth for the band plus the play of the color on sub dial and bezel got me interested. I am a fan of using ZULU straps on my G-Shock, so I know immediately I must have one from this series. The GA-100MC series come in 4 color variants. At that time I thought that I'll get the blue/red one only.

Model Color
    GA-100MC-1A Black & Grey
    GA-100MC-1A4 Black & Orange
    GA-100MC-2A Blue & Red
    GA-100MC-3A Green & Black

Name:  1196179d1377030130-what-do-you-have-incoming-part-iii-uploadfromtaptalk1377030124904.jpg
Views: 8535
Size:  16.3 KB

Last week, I noticed that these models started to show up on Rakuten market website. Seems like these models are for international release. It won't come to US soon. Most of the sellers have them on 30% sale, so the price is around $108. I decided to take an order. Then it hit me.. what color? I'll get the blue one for sure. But the olive green is a new GA-100 color with attractive green/yellow band. The black/orange one is also yummy with the orange letters on the bezel. Which one.. which one.. So I decided to get all three colors. I ignored the black one because I think it looks just like a resin band.

The shipping is quick as usual for Rakuten order. I got the package on Friday. I'd like to share some pictures and thought. Let's read along.

They come in JDM box with lovely white pillows, Japanese manuals, and tourist warranty cards.

First is the green and blue pair. On the green one, the numbers in the digital display are same yellow color as the color of the sub dial frame. It has yellow hour hand while the blue has the white hand. The blue one has the white numbers.

Next, the green and black pair. Both has the same color for the hands (yellow for the hour hand, white for the minute hand). The display numbers of the black one are in white color. The sub dial frame color and letters of the black one are more to orange than the green one. Plus the orange letters on the black bezel instead of white on the olive green one.

And here is the feature, the straps are thick cloth in stripe pattern. The colors are not bright. They are more subdue, which are just right for the milliliter theme. The straps have leather pieces to hold the spring bars to be attached to the case (typical Casio style for the cloth bands). Thus the straps are not easily swapped as with ZULU adapters. They use two layers of the cloths which I measured to be about 2 mm thick in total. It is very high quality craftsmanship. The holes are burnt through neatly. The stitch is very well done. The band width is about 26-27 mm. Not sure where the straps were made but the buckles show Thailand. The caseback indicates that the watches were made in Thailand. Can I claim these are military grade straps?

The writing is getting long. I'll continue on the next reply with some more pics of the light and lume shots.
    Last edited by GShockMe; August 26th, 2013 at 19:58.

Re: Cloth Watchband GA-100MC Gang Arrives, Quick Review and Pic, Pic, Pic..

Today I'm wearing SUPRA GA-200SPR, so it becomes my reference watch. The cloth strap on SUPRA has different pattern than the GA-100MC. The strap is narrower (22 mm) and in two pieces. I'll use this SUPRA to compare the light shot.

When I see the yellow hand of the green and black/orange, I start to worry that the hand will be invisible in the orange LED light. I had the issue with the vanished red hour hand on the GA-100-1A4 (basic black one). It was so annoying that I sold the watch long time ago. But be afraid not, this yellow hand is no problem at night. It is very visible with the activated LED orange light. Too bad, that is not the case for SUPRA. The choice for the red hands looks cool during the day. But it is really really hard to find under the LED light. Note SUPRA is on the left in the picture. The green GA-100MC is on the right.

And the lume! I sold my GA-100 years ago. I don't really recall that the hour ticks have lume. But this find surprises me. I can see 12 rectangular shape lume for the hour marks. Can any GA-100 owner tell me if there is lume on your watch? Sadly, still no lume on the hands.

Sorry about the blurry pic. This is the best that I can do with my cellphone.

That's all folks! Here is my GA-100MC story. I'm impressed with the quality of the cloth straps. I'm still deciding which one to wear. But the blue one is my first candidate.

And I think GA-100MC will be my top choice over GA-200SPR SUPRA.

Last edited by GShockMe; August 26th, 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Typo, add details.

LUW

So instead of opening a "what model should I get" thread, you just buy all three ? Just like that?

I definitively like your thought process!
    nigelw and James142 like this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    So instead of opening a "what model should I get" thread, you just buy all three ? Just like that?
    (Edit) Well, I can always find an exemption.
    1. At $100 a pop, it is no where near buying three aviators or Frogmen.
    2. They are the same watch but different color. I don't think I'll resolve the color choice by asking the forum. You know what I mean.
    3. They are all cute. :p
    Last edited by GShockMe; August 26th, 2013 at 05:48.

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post

I definitively like your thought process!
    Gshockme; Like a BOSS
    James142 likes this.

thanks for sharing, I thought it's like those nato/zulu straps together with those adapters (end piece) like those retro Gshocks

that we can buy separately later to do some mod with other G's

disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    that we can buy separately later to do some mod with other G's
    Yeah.. The band swap can be done using the adaptors with many choices of ZULU. I've done that (and still do). But the interesting parts in the GA-100MC series are the color mix of the subdial, letters, and the bezel. Those are hard for weekend DIY.

Great pick ups, really digging the red/white/blue version.
    James142 likes this.

I like those straps very Retro looking, reminds me of the old snake belts that used to be all the rage , many years ago...!!!!

Update: wrist shots with the green GA-100MC-3A. This watch is very comfortable to wear.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1377530091938.jpg
Views: 12223
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1377530121874.jpg
Views: 12835
Size:  92.6 KB

My wrist size is about 6 3/4". The band end doesn't go all the way to the bezel. The length is just about the same as a resin band (10 1/8" with the last hole at 9 1/4"). Notice that there is still some gap between the 2nd strap keeper ring and the band. I guess the band end should be folded back as using the NATO band.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1377530305344.jpg
Views: 7805
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1377530278417.jpg
Views: 8157
Size:  95.5 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information