Military DW-5600MS with atomic and solar.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Military DW-5600MS with atomic and solar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Military DW-5600MS with atomic and solar.

Hi all. While I've owned a g-shock of some sort since the early '80's and when I was in the service I'd like to finally get one that has everything I'd want. I love the look of the DW-5600MS with the black buttons and negative display and red numerics. I also want the tough solar and atomic clock features. As I'm new at this and cannot find it I'm asking for help. Does this watch exist?

Re: Military DW-5600MS with atomic and solar.

GW-M5610BC could be close?

Relentless602 likes this.

It's close, but I prefer the red numerics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GW-3500B, G-9300, G-5600, GD-350-1, DW-6900B.

Quote Originally Posted by Wireguided View Post
    I love the look of the DW-5600MS with the black buttons and negative display and red numerics. I also want the tough solar and atomic clock features. As I'm new at this and cannot find it I'm asking for help. Does this watch exist?
    Short answer: no. Most of the solar/atomic 6900's have positive displays. If you want the "look" of a DW-5600MS, they don't make it in a solar or solar/atomic.

Longer answer: you might be able to come CLOSE with the GW-6900BC -- negative display, but you'll pay a lot more for it because of the composite link bracelet. Link to Casio site: http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Watches/G-Shock/GW6900BC-1/

Link to WUS thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-6900bc-arrives-278272.html

Of course, that one still has silver-colored buttons and a grayish-white display, rather than red-tinted. If you REALLY want to get the look you want, you'll probably have to build some sort of "Frankenwatch" with buttons from another model and/or some sort of colored film over the LCD.

You might also be able to come close with a now-hard-to-find, collectible or "limited run" and thus expensive GW-6900RD-4, and installing a black strap and bezel from a GW-6900-1. https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f17/387551d1297547716-burning-red-6900-7900-better-looking-gw-6900rd-4jf-b.jpg

On the other hand, there are a LOT of threads on this sub-forum discussing the legibility of negative vs. positive displays, and people generally agree that positive displays are usually easier to read at a glance, especially indoors. You might want to search for a couple of those threads and read through them before deciding to build your "dream watch" that could become a nightmare.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

It's close, but I prefer the red numerics.
    If you have the guts, you could alway open up the watch, disassemble the module and modify it with a red foil.

cheers
    phattbam likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

I think you guys are right. I'd need to kit-bash what I'd like. And I'll get the DW-5600MS to see how I like the red display before I spend a lot of money to build my dream watch. If I like it then I'll consider the build. I can give the 5600MS to my Godson as a gift.

Cal ..45, how would I go about doing that disassembly if I choose to?

Thank you all for the help.

how would I go about doing that disassembly if I choose to?
    Not sure about what sort of "red foil" you'll need -- a red-tinted polarizing film would be perfect, if you can find it. If not, I'm guessing you'll need some "normal" polarizing film and a small sheet of red-tinted plastic.

As for disassembly:

1) Watch this video and/or read this tutorial, both from the "Resources" sub-forum.

2) Remove the straps and case back from the watch.

3) Carefully remove the module and then do everything else shown in those links. (Sounds REALLY simple when I put it that way, but it's really not that difficult!)

Here is a good tutorial about changing the colour of an LCD. If you do this to an Inverted (negative) LCD, you will get red (depending on colour of the film) digits on black.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech View Post
    Here is a good tutorial....
    I'd love to read it too, but two computers and three browsers later, I'm still not seeing a link.
    Crater likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information