Military: Too Dark?
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Military: Too Dark?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Guys I’m active duty military and originally was looking for an analog field watch for my purposes as my job sometimes leaves me without a phone or in times were pulling a phone out just isn’t practical etc.

Well not really finding much in that category, I’ve started to consider digital watches and for tough military use the Casio G-Shocks seems to be very popular and are supposedly about as tough a watch as can be found anywhere in any variety.

Looking at the different types, I see they offer a subdued “military” version with a reversed display:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW5600M...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Looks great and more stealthy that the standard model. But, some are saying the display is dark and hard to read? Does anyone have any input on this? I am on my way to Afghanistan and want a solid and reliable watch for the job. Is this a good model?

Thanks!
    X-plorer and Aquatap like this.

Re: Military: Too Dark?

From what I've read, the MS series watches, with their red-tinted LCDs, are harder to read than other negative display Casios. I suspect the DW-5600BB-1 would be easier to read. Still, if ease of reading is important, a positive display version is the way to go.

This video shows the difference in display contrast between the DW-5600BB-1 and the DW-5600MS-1.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/digital/dw5600bb-1
    Servus likes this.

If you like the blacked out look, another option that wears a bit larger is the DW-6900BB-1. It has a front-mounted light button, which may be useful to you.

Name:  DW-6900BB-1 (P9230933).JPG
Views: 591
Size:  1.97 MB

https://www.casio.com/products/watch...ock/dw6900bb-1
    soulbridgemedia and Servus like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

https://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/wat.../GLS-5600CL-5/

Okay, I gotta throw out a vote for a GLS-5600 variant. I love the module for the dual stopwatches and other features. The CL line has NATO straps, which have really grown on me for comfort and durability. When worn with any sort of elastic cuffs, these don't bind or pinch at all, but rather become part of the sleeve.
    The WCL/double velcro models such as the GLS-5600V have a dual layered system designed for cold weather. They're a bit bulkier, and a little complicated to put on, but they'll ride all day, staying visible without getting in the way.

Name:  IMG_20180520_142526077.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  gls5600cloth.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  20171105_115632-1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  603.5 KB
    When there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    If you like the blacked out look, another option that wears a bit larger is the DW-6900BB-1. It has a front-mounted light button, which may be useful to you.

Name:  DW-6900BB-1 (P9230933).JPG
Views: 591
Size:  1.97 MB

https://www.casio.com/products/watch...ock/dw6900bb-1
    I’ve very small wrists so was hoping to go no smaller.

A square would be lower on my list because the buttons are smaller and harder to press.

A 6900 of some sort is a good way to go. Front light button and other buttons are easier to press with gloves on.

Solar/atomic is cool but not too applicable most of the time. I also wouldn’t necessarily get something expensive or hard to replace. Nothing wrong with a $45 DW-6900.

I’d certainly recommend a positive display.

I wouldn’t overthink it! Stay safe.

My vote goes to GW2310FB. Best all black stealth G that I know. Not too much bigger than squares but slightly thicker.

depends on your MOS, for "in country" night ops, the MS is great as it bright enough to see with the light at night without disrupting night vision or disturbing critters as it is red. but for normal ops wear, any G will do. the 56XX series is what i would recommend as it will slide under BDU or Dress sleeves. its low profile also helps while working in tight areas or less watch to grab if grappling. Ibe San even joked about it for the Zombie attacks~
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

May I suggest:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...ds=casio+gd350

I have one, and while my usage is no where near as noble as the OP's (I often do yard work extending into dusk), I find the display easy to read in dim light, the buttons large enough to use with gloves and the flash alert option useful (when appropriate for operations).

Also, thank you for your service.
    P.J.M. likes this.
    I be a living timepiece, the years showing on my face and felt in my bones.

Guys, THANK YOU for all the replies, well wishes, and help! Well I paid a visit to the BX this morning just to see what they had, and sure enough there was a DW5600E-1V tucked in the back of the display case. That was the only one, no MS in sight. I asked to try it on and it felt GREAT. It was at a fair price so I snagged it!

Got the date and time set to an atomic clock. Boy is this a swell watch!!

I’ll keep my eyes pealed for the MS and other versions mentioned here, but I really needed a watch badly and this one should be great for now. Glad to be a member here and proud to own my first Casio G-Shock!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information