military use?

Thread: military use?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question military use?

hey guys..my second post. just like to thank you guys for making me feel so welcome and the positive feedback on my watch.
    anyway when i was buying my cockpit series the guy at the shop said that g shocks were used in the military/special forces. can anybody tell me if this is true and what modifications (if any) that these watches would undergo. also what model. thanx for providing a great forum and i apologize if this question has been asked/answered before...:-D

Wink Re: military use?

Indeed G-Shock's are used a lot by millitaries, firemen and rescue workers. The reason for that is that they are relative cheap, reliable and are tough enough to do the job. Most used are basic DW-5600E's, DW-6600's and DW-6900's. A cockpit would not be adviced, because of the blinking parts. Although most of the millitaries don't modificate their watch, there is also a Mil-Shock available. It has a military watchband and stronger and thicker springbars.

http://www.countycomm.com/milshock.htm

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thumbs Up Re: military use?

As I've said before the crash, I was a professional marine (movie about the dutch marine corps here) for four years. G-shocks were definitely the most used watches there. They're reliable, tough as nails and cheaply replaceble. My G-shock survived my four years of service without a problem. It was subjected to desert heat and arctic cold, jumping out of planes and helicopters and a lot of other extremes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: military use?

cool video Pete... im not gonna ask what troubles you were all quelling in scotland tho... :-X

Nice Video Pete. Where have you all been? My sister was a chauffeur and administration sergeant. She served in Germany and Bosnia. I was a clinical laborant in a M.A.S.H. (121-LCVH-Cie) when I was in the ARMY. Most of the time I was actually a barkeeper of the compagnies bar, also serving the 131 LCVH-Cie. This Compangie was sent to Srebrenica at the beginning of 1994. I guess you know what happened there later .

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Too bad what happened there...

I have been on exercises in Germany, Norway, Great Brittain, the USA, the Dutch Antilles and on the UN mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea. I've always liked travelling and seeing other places and even more when getting paid to do so!

I missed the trip to Ethiopia in 1994. I had a week off when they asked for volunteers, so I missed that boat. I wouldn't have mind to serve a few months longer. It was well payed too (two army mates of me went, one of them joined the NAVY like you, after that (sorry, don't know his name any more).

Cheers,

Sjors

Steadily drifting more off-topic...
    I was there i '01-'02. And the pay was good; part of your UN salary is payed in USD and the dollar was high back then! B-)

Getting on topic again... That was the time G-Shock's in the U.S. were expensive for us. When the Euro was introduced the USD was higher then the Euro for a while. Now a Euro is $1,16 (just payed for an auction). I won a very interesting DW-9501 model. I don't know the color combination, but according to the colors it's probably a JP version.

Cheers,

Sjors

there are a lot of mixed info out there

i think only small amount of G-Shock were "issued" (purchased by government contract), on top of my head, i can only remember DW9050, DW6600 and DW6900. i have some contract # and units for DW9050 and DW6900.

of course, there maybe other government purchase contract there we don't know of / don't care to dig it up.

points here is that government did purchase G-Shock, but didn't specify if they are being using by the military

and also, i think soliders can bring their own watches. and from photo on magazine and newspaper, we can see plenty of G-Shocks. and plenty of G-Shocks are worn by LEO. to name a few besides the ones above, G100, DW004, G2300, G2310, DW5600E, etc.

and i am sure some DW5600C have fought wars at their times.

i think may military or LEO would prefer non-metal G for cost, weight and you don't want something flashy so EVERYBODY can see you.

to answer your question: yes

and regarding milshock, from my understanding, they were NEVER issued nor is there a government contract for purchase. its just an idea pitched to the government and they never picked it up. personally i think they are cool idea, but don't know if they worth the ticket price. :-D of course, that won't stop military personnel from spending their own money buying one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information