Mini-review : DW-5735, the "forgotten" anniversary model
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Mini-review : DW-5735, the "forgotten" anniversary model

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mini-review : DW-5735, the "forgotten" anniversary model

2018 has been an important year for Casio, namely the 35th anniversary of the G Shock.

As usual the market has been flooded with anniversary models, the most prominent and popular being the new stainless steel G shocks that have been very successful. More "traditional" rubber reissues have been overlooked and in particular the DW-5735 has been almost completely ignored.

From my side I have three traditional "round" (they are not really round, just the "bezel" is different) G shocks from the 80s, namely a DW-5400 (with original bezel) and two 5700, I must confess I always had a weak spot for this design...I also have a weak spot for gold G shocks, MIJ ones with steel case, therefore as soon as I could find a new one at very reasonable price (£130 including custom duties) I pulled the trigger and received it just in time for my birthday.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  2.57 MB

These are my thoughts:

1) Screen : the pixelated screen makes the watch. Besides the lovely dark gold colour it also has a sort of sunburst finish when hit directly by sunlight that I have never see in other LCDs, it's very difficult to take a clean picture but above you can see an hint of it, in real life it's much more prominent. It is the same screen that was used in the DW-5030D that came in my G Set and that is the reason why I decided to get this one as well, while I skipped the 5035 because it doesn't have this screen and besides the blue "project team tough" it is the same watch as my customised 5030D (with standard bezel and strap as I didn't like the translucent components it came with.

2) Building quality: the same as my GW5000, even the strap is the same and much better than the one of the 5030C and 5030D that were stiff plastic. That is interesting as I paid this watch half of what I paid the GW-5000, I understand the module is more basic but those interested in a "quality" G shock should not overlook this: £130 for a MIJ steel G shock is a bargain, I spent about $700 for the G set and 270 for the GW5000.

3) Module: more or less the standard one that comes with the 5600E, it has main timekeeping mode, alarm, 24 h countdown and 24 stopwatch. To be honest the only feature I feel lacking is the second timezone but even the original 240 didn't have it so no complaints here.

4) Style: like all new SS G shocks it's significantly bigger than the original, about 1 mm in all directions, in this case the diameter is about 45 mm, 14.5mm thick and a L2L of 51mm. The vintage ones fit my wrist better but however it's manageable. The caseback is engraved in a fashion somewhat similar to the 30th anniversary edition as well as the metallic loop, the dial is similar to the original 5700C but with few changes, namely alarm chronograph is in blue, all the writings on the bezel are gold (in the original protection and G shock were in white), Casio, 200 mt (actually WR20BAR) have moved from the bezel to the dial, start stop on the lower part of the screen as light and start stop pushers are swapped between the 691 and the 3421 modules etc...globally the watch still looks familiar.

Conclusion: after one year from the release the DW-5735 can still be found at discontinued prices on the net. Why isn't it more popular?

Edit. Posted few random pics of my vintage SS G shocks, in particular my 1985 5400 with a pair of 1985 Jordan 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by cuthbert; March 29th, 2019 at 16:05.
    fish70, Slm643, bratz and 19 others like this.

Re: Mini-review : DW-5735, the "forgotten" anniversary model

Thanks. That is a cool looking G!

Thanks for your review, love your collection and the pics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for review. Feels alarmingly like a #metoo moment. It shouldn’t. But it does.

I think the group of fans that liked the original 5700 were excited to see their return and snatched them up right away. I guess the round group is just significantly smaller than the square group.
    In the end there's no point in trying to ascertain why out why a given watch is unpopular. As long as it makes you happy that's all that matters.
    Dxnnis likes this.

I add a comparison between the 5735 and the GW5000...it is the first I noticed after two years the bezel is aging.

Name:  IMG_20190328_074832.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  1.72 MB
    GaryK30, Bozzy and Dav25 like this.

Another double post, sorry!

Been looking at this model for a while now--not a big fan of the "squares" but do like this round one.

I love it but no auto light and world time .

Got one, love it. A new screwback 5700 series to go with the vintage one with the Brazilian bezel.

Thought I was being clever and ordered a new 5700 bezel from PacParts to install on the vintage 5700, but it doesn’t fit.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information