Minimum level of toughness?

Thread: Minimum level of toughness?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Minimum level of toughness?

Hello all.
    This is my first post- I've learned whenever you really want to know about something you must join a forum and I have recently had to admit my passion for G-Shocks, after spending thousands of pounds on other watches. So, in the very near future I'm going out to get a second G, (currently wearing the ana-digi one with the black and orange nylon strap which covers up the back- I think its an AW-7900) and am drawn to a 5600 series as they seem far less in your face than other models. A quick question though. Just how tough are these slimmer, smaller models? Will they still take more punishment than my wrist and last forever?
    Cheers

Re: Minimum level of toughness?

The 5600's are just as tough as the rest except they might not have the same mud resistance as the Mudman watches.

Banned

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I don't need to wear a tank on my wrist, to have complete faith in my G. The only "fine" watch I can think of that could possibly rival a G-Shock is the Muhle Glaschutte Search and Rescue model, which is around 3,000 British Pounds. I wonder if anyone's ever done a comparison.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moved to main forum.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I use my DW-5600E a lot during outdoor activities. It has seen (salt) water, rocks, mud, snow and experienced both heat and freezing cold. Probably the Mudman is more resistant to mud and the Gulfman is more resistant to salt water, but the 5600 series are very tough too. I also don't mind wearing one of my 5600's to the office.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

the weakest part of the 5600's is certainly the crystal protection. the bezel simply stands not out so high compared to other models which might get the crystal easier scratched (or shattered in a worst case). side protection should be fine. I wouldn't worry about "mud" and salt" ressistance - both are more marketing gimmicks than anything else.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I owned an SAR Muhle. It is a cool watch. One of the toughest mechanicals.
    But no way it can compare to a G.
    It's apples and oranges mate.

Every G-Shock is equally tough.

The only differences are designs and price. Even the functions don't defer much. The only ones with added features in addition to normal ones are Gulfman, Riseman and Frogman.

And the mud/salt resistance thing is just marketing gimmick. Don't buy a G-Shock because of these. Buy something that you like.

the original G-Shock has triple 10 design concept: 10 yr battery life, 10BAR water resistant and survive a 10m fall.

i would imagine that's the minimal "toughness" for all G-Shocks. and i expect the smaller cased 5600 would perform equally, if not better, than the rest of the G-Shocks.

i wouldn't worry about the toughness of a G-Shock. It usually takes more than just a few knocks to break one. and if it breaks while its on your wrist, you'd better be happy the G-Shock took the blow, otherwise, it sure will left a mark on you

I've got a 5600 which was bought in 1988. It hasn't had a battery change, and although I've replaced the black bezel and strap, it is just as much fun and equally useful as when it was new.

So that's 22 years old and still totally wearable. It was my mountain biking watch for years too, so it didn't just sit in a drawer.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information