Modded GW-M5600BC - a positive experience
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Modded GW-M5600BC - a positive experience

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Modded GW-M5600BC - a positive experience

At the start of this week, I was lucky enough to spot and win a new GW-M5600BC on the bay, a mere 41 minutes after it had been posted. I bought it, not only because it was a bargain but also to see how I found the negative display and composite bracelet.

I quickly realised that neither were to my tastes. The negative display was clearer that I had expected but it was not for me. The bracelet added some heft to the watch but although comfortable, it didn't feel right. I suppose I expect a G to be on a strap.

So a plan hatched, why not swap the positive module from my GW-M5600 and put it in the GW-M5600BC case? The aim being to create a subtle, understated GW-M5600. In reverse, I thought that the red line on the GW-M5600 crystal might work well with the negative display, black and red being a popular combination.

I checked the forum and read that a couple of members have completed this mod before. Special thanks go to SSPARTAN for his previous posts which alleviated several concerns. The modules can indeed be swapped straight, as their built-in atomic syncing antennae are contained within the module and the solar panels are in the case, connecting with the module once it's seated correctly. All in all, it took me, including photography, about 40 minutes.

Now the pics.

Here are the GW-M5600BC and GW-M5600 side by side awaiting their surgery. Alongside is some silicon grease for the O ring seals, my Bergeon spring bar tool, a jeweller's Phillips screwdriver and some tweezers. In the end I didn't use the silicon grease, as both watches are new, I didn't disturb the seals and there was some grease on the back of the watch which would contact the case back when it was reapplied.

First job, take off the straps.

Here are the watches with the case backs removed and the rubber module protectors resting on them. With the aid of a very fine slotted screwdriver, I have prised up the modules at the 1 o'clock position, so they're free from the case, ready for extraction. I was mindful of Sjors' warning to be careful not to turn over the module and loose the case back spring used for the speaker.

Half way there! You can clearly see the wound wire on the atomic sync antenna at the 12 o'clock position. Also obvious is the “all clear” (AC) contact for battery reset after a battery change. As I swapped the modules over quickly, to avoid dust, I didn't have an opportunity to take a photograph of the case's inside but I could see the solar panels circuitry on the rear of the crystal.

The swap is complete, all that remains is to reattach the straps - but which strap to which model? In the end, I decided to keep the composite bracelet with the negative display. The spring bars on the composite bracelet are noticeably thinner than those from the regular strap, which I found slightly surprising, given that the bracelet is heavier. So if you are thinking of buying a separate composite bracelet, make sure it comes with the correct spring bars. While still not a huge fan of negative displays, the red and the black do combine well. There is almost an MIRB feel it.

Three Gs sharing a pillow, from left to right, the positive GW-M5600BC, my as yet unworn GW-5000-1JF and the negative GW-M5600 on composite bracelet. As you can see they're all synced. I manually synced both modded watches to make sure that function worked, as did all the buttons, sound and light. I'm not sure what to do with the negative GW-M5600 - it may appear in sales corner soon...

As this final shot shows, this GW-M5600BC “positivisation” does indeed result in a stylish G-Shock, similar in appearance to the much more expensive GW-5000-1JF. Of course the modded watch does not have the screw case back, the DLC coating , metal body or the 6th atomic band, but it is still a feature rich and stealthy watch.

I'm going to enjoy wearing it and I hope you enjoyed the photos.
    Last edited by dkpw; June 20th, 2010 at 14:47.
    mcnabbanov, dbk1ng and Quadka like this.
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

Re: Modded GW-M5600BC - a positive experience

Many thanks for the post and pics. This look is probably my favourite G design at the moment, and subtle improvements (especially at smaller prices) are always welcome!

Very nice. I m interested in the negative version with the composite strap if you are willing to part it. Where is the solar panel on these watches?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Very cool mod. Well done. Congrats! I even like the BC in its new version. Do you think it would be a good idea to put the composite bracelet on the 5000? This way it would be all upgraded to as high as it gets. I agree in principle that the composite on the 5600 series just doesn't look right. On the 6900 series it's better but it costs as much as the darn watch. Maybe for the sake of "ultimate premium" I'd bear it on the 5000.

Till

Nice Job on the mod, glad I was able to help
    Last edited by sspartan; June 18th, 2010 at 02:31.

Excellent work !

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    Very cool mod. Well done. Congrats! I even like the BC in its new version. Do you think it would be a good idea to put the composite bracelet on the 5000? This way it would be all upgraded to as high as it gets. I agree in principle that the composite on the 5600 series just doesn't look right. On the 6900 series it's better but it costs as much as the darn watch. Maybe for the sake of "ultimate premium" I'd bear it on the 5000.

Till
    The problem for me with the bracelet on the 5000 (I thought I would try my 5000 on one) is that the 5000 case & bezel etc. is just a little too grey to colour-match the bracelet. Some have put it on the bracelet though and are happy with the result.

I put a bracelet on my GW-6900 and it really makes the watch for me.

Hello there dkpw, thanks for sharing the pics and congrats on the positive result.

I'm curious, on the final pic with the 5000, is the difference in display contrast real or is it an artifact of the photo?

Cheers,
    Jops.

Great job~CheerS!

Hi guys,

thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the set of pics. It wasn't until I wore the modded watch outside that I fully appreciated its looks. Wow!

Thanks for the interest DonkeyKong - I may well put the negative mod on sales corner. I'll need to take some other photos before I do, so watch this space.

Thanks Till! Like Coler, I'm not sure about fitting the composite bracelet onto the GW-5000. I just couldn't get used to the bracelet full stop. I didn't know that it fits the GW-6900 - which is useful to know. I suspect that someone else will have the benefit of experimenting with my strap.

Finally, Jops, the difference in contrast is just down to amateurish lighting and inadequate photographic skills.

Cheers!
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

Banned

Don't diss your own photographic skills too much. It's REALLY difficult to get the same contrast in both displays when you put them side by side. I had the exact same problem when I tried to compare the contrast of a hydro modded 5600 to a standard 5600. I ended up putting the watches in the exact same position shooting one after the other.

Till

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information