Which model is the closest to the original G-Shock?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Which model is the closest to the original G-Shock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which model is the closest to the original G-Shock?

Hi there,

Was wondering if there is a modern interpretation of this model? And if its easy to attain?

Thank you!

Re: Which model is the closest to the original G-Shock?

It probably depends on how you define "interpretation" of the original G-Shock.

Since the original one was designed to be a widely available, affordable, everyday watch for the masses, the modern interpretation of THAT is the DW-5600E. Available for around $50 (or less) from Amazon.com, Walmart, Target, and all over the internet. It features all of the original features, a better illumination system, and a calendar that will last until 2099.

If by "interpretation" you mean "a close copy of the appearance of, and the steel-cased screwback of the original," there have been special and anniversary models released over the years -- but they weren't as affordable as the DW-5600E when they were new, and since they're generally viewed as "collectible" they're generally even more expensive today.

DW-5600e, GW-M5610, GW-5000, DW-5030-1 (from G-Set) or even GXW-56-1B (gets my vote).

It depends how you define "modern interpretation".

Please read here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/tri...t-1006278.html

Cheers, Piowa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It probably depends on how you define "interpretation" of the original G-Shock.

Since the original one was designed to be a widely available, affordable, everyday watch for the masses, the modern interpretation of THAT is the DW-5600E. Available for around $50 (or less) from Amazon.com, Walmart, Target, and all over the internet. It features all of the original features, a better illumination system, and a calendar that will last until 2099.

If by "interpretation" you mean "a close copy of the appearance of, and the steel-cased screwback of the original," there have been special and anniversary models released over the years -- but they weren't as affordable as the DW-5600E when they were new, and since they're generally viewed as "collectible" they're generally even more expensive today.

Thank you for that information.

Which models specifically would be physically very close to the original? Steel cased screwback not necessary but the color scheme of the face would be good!

Mike is right. The 5600 series watches are originated from the adW-5600C, which is a direct successor of the DW-5000 (the so called G-Shock DNA-line). However, if you like to spend more, you can look for a 5000 style model. These models (DW-5000, DW-50XX, GW-5000) have the same original steel case of the DW-5000C with screwback.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Dw-5000-1jf is the closest that I know of:

Name:  May28.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  193.8 KB

But it may be a bit hard to find, it depends on where you want to look and what you want to spend. For an easily attainable alternative, check out the GW-M5610, it has the same kind of colour scheme with the modern benefits of solar/atomic if you're into that.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    Dw-5000-1jf is the closest that I know of:

Name:  May28.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  193.8 KB

But it may be a bit hard to find, it depends on where you want to look and what you want to spend. For an easily attainable alternative, check out the GW-M5610, it has the same kind of colour scheme with the modern benefits of solar/atomic if you're into that.
    The 1JF, released around 2000, is in my opinion the successor to the original G-Shock. It was a re-release of the DW-5000. It is not an anniversary edition, it has the same primary model number, and is almost identical to the original (I believe the 200 m to 20 bar is the only change on the screen). It has the newer style steel case and updated module which makes it a whole lot easier to own than a vintage piece.
    Andrew_navigator and Crater like this.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

I have now found the DW50001JF but it looks like it will be pretty difficult to find one!

I found a GWM5610 and it looks visually pretty similar to the DW50001JF! Except I think the borders are (a little bit) darker.

I was lucky and managed to find a DW-5000 awhile ago! (unfortunately has a small hairline scratch on the crystal)

But that base is covered in terms of stainless steel casing!
    Was now looking for something visually similar to the original ;)

Fullers1845 and mitadoc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by illition View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody!

I have now found the DW50001JF but it looks like it will be pretty difficult to find one!

I found a GWM5610 and it looks visually pretty similar to the DW50001JF! Except I think the borders are (a little bit) darker.

I was lucky and managed to find a DW-5000 awhile ago! (unfortunately has a small hairline scratch on the crystal)

But that base is covered in terms of stainless steel casing!
    Was now looking for something visually similar to the original ;)
    I went through the same process not long ago, and decided screw back with the brick pattern is what I want, and the GW-M5610 did not suffice. I ended up buying a DW-5000-1JF and a DW-5030-1JR. I think it is worth hunting down a DW-5000-1JF if you want the closest to the original
    jrp316 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I went through the same process not long ago, and decided screw back with the brick pattern is what I want, and the GW-M5610 did not suffice. I ended up buying a DW-5000-1JF and a DW-5030-1JR. I think it is worth hunting down a DW-5000-1JF if you want the closest to the original
    I dont need screw back. But I like the brick pattern. Do you think the brick pattern is a lot more pronounced on the GW50001JF compared to the 5610?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information