Which model do you think will be retired first -- the Mudman or the Gulfman?

View Poll Results: Which model will be retired first--the Mudman or the Gulfman?

Voters
19. This poll is closed
  • Gulfman

7 36.84%
  • Mudman

0 0%
  • Merged into one

1 5.26%
  • None -- both will continue

11 57.89%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xevious

Thread: Which model do you think will be retired first -- the Mudman or the Gulfman?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Question Which model do you think will be retired first -- the Mudman or the Gulfman?

Why retire either of them? Well, before the G-9300 came out the Mudman had either the rally timer or dual stopwatch over the Gulfman. Otherwise, there wasn't much of a difference. The Gulfman is explicitly rust resistant and thus mud resistant. But with a completely enclosing bezel that covers the buttons and minimizes nooks where debris can collect, you'd essentially have a Mudman.

With the G-9300, the Mudman functionality was boosted with the addition of a temperature sensor, a moon phase indicator, and a compass. This certainly helped diverge the Mudman away from being too much like the Gulfman. But in reality... if the Mudman were given a tidegraph, wouldn't it effectively replace the Gulfman? Put a titanium back plate on it and I'd say YES.

• The compass is large enough that it could be utilized to display the moon phase at the press of a button (toggle between moon phase and compass). There's no need for a separate moon phase, and this will free up some real estate.
    • A large dot matrix section on the top part of the display can handle the date, day, secondary stopwatch, secondary countdown timer, and tide graph (the tide graph provides information that is not frequently viewed, and therefore it does not need a dedicated display). All of this information is used sequentially, and not needed simultaneously. The compass degrees and temperature can still be displayed in the main section, putting the time display above when used.
    • Power wise, can the watch handle all these functions? Yes. The tide graph consumes very little power, as it is not an active sensor--it merely does a calculation to display the data upon request.
    • The bezel can be redesigned to minimize mud collection and cover the buttons to prevent silt infiltration, while still showing some titanium accents.

So as I see it, we really don't need both. Make the Mudman rust resistant in addition to mud resistant and add a tidegraph. Redesign the display to accommodate the data a little better than what it already does, and the task will be complete. Good bye, Gulfman. You've served us well but you've outlived your usefulness.
    Last edited by xevious; June 27th, 2012 at 06:43.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Wouldn't that run counter to Casio's marketing plan: never make the perfect watch?
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I still think the GW-9300 should have been the Wademan (big, compass, thermometer). Mud resistance is not exclusively for the Mudman.

Maybe next a Mud Resistant Gulfman? Remember they are both around for about 15 year!

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@Xevious: you know, if it were a frog it could keep the Ti as well!

@Sjors: i like the way you think. I like the look of the mud resistant watches and wish more were.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: Which model do you think will be retired first -- the Mudman or the Gulfman?

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I still think the GW-9300 should have been the Wademan (big, compass, thermometer). Mud resistance is not exclusively for the Mudman.
    Very true, although I think the Mudman intent was providing extra timing functionality in conjunction with mud resistance. Thus, a more suitable watch for delving in muddy conditions. The GX-56 is mud resistant and could be considered a Mudman variant, although the module is rather anemic functionally speaking. As for "Wademan", I think of it more like "Fisherman"... but CASIO put that into the non G-Shock category and then chose the Gulfman to assume that role with better rust resistance.

Chrisek is right, that CASIO would probably want to keep things diverse so they make more money, but eventually they'll come to a point where consolidation will simply make sense. We are also in a stage of exploitative manufacturing, churning out so much excess and extravagance. Going "Green" means being more conservative with precious resources. Eventually, companies like CASIO will realize that it makes more sense to follow this practice, which will help uphold a positive image in the eyes of the consumer. That's just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Maybe next a Mud Resistant Gulfman? Remember they are both around for about 15 year!
    The Gulfman first came out in 1999, so it's coming up on 13 years. The Mudman arrived 4 years earlier. So yes, the distinct lines have been around for quite some time. Why was the Raysman retired? Because solar was new for the G-Shock and introduced it. Once solar spread out to other models, the Raysman didn't make sense any longer (especially as yacht timers made their way into other models too). Same is true of the Antman, as atomic sync eventually appeared in other models. That's why I'd feel like the Gulfman should retire. Aside from titanium back plate, it offers nothing else that other models have. Look at the moon phase and tide graph, showing up everywhere now (especially in the G-Lide). Make a G-Lide in titanium and you've essentially got a Gulfman.

Anyway, marketing rarely makes sense to the consumer. CASIO must have some special secret revenue optimization plans going on.
    G-Shock Absorber likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Which model do you think will be retired first -- the Mudman or the Gulfman?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Anyway, marketing rarely makes sense to the consumer.
    Maybe so, but marketing decisions made by Casio even less...

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Isn't talk of killing off a major product line heresy in these parts?

"OFF WITH THEIR WATCHES"!

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    Wouldn't that run counter to Casio's marketing plan: never make the perfect watch?
    I agree with Chris. It looks like Casio's basic parameter is not functions but aesthetics, so I really doubt that they would retire a different looking watch just because "the other one has similar functions".
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Perhaps what it all comes down to is the overhead costs in making each watch model/line. If the costs are relatively low for each watch model, then there's no incentive to consolidate if the sales are there.

I would really like to know how much revenue CASIO makes from each of the primary model lines. I have a feeling that the Mudman is a more popular watch than the Gulfman. Does the Mudman outsell the Gulfman by a significant margin? Regardless, does the Gulfman sell enough to provide sufficient revenue to keep it going?

I agree with you LUW, that CASIO is more focused on cosmetics. In reality, you could really get by with fewer models than they are making. CASIO mixes up the following factors into a variety of combinations:

• Functionality
    • Model class (size, shape)
    • Cosmetic treatments

Look at the G-Lide. The G-Lide used to have it's own unique model class (size and shape), but now this designation is applied to existing model classes like the 5600 and 6900 (previously others like the G-2300). You take a 5600 or 6900 and give it moon phase and tide graph--> you have a G-Lide. Now mix it up with solar/atomic or lack thereof, positive or negative display, and then a myriad of different cosmetic treatments to the dial imprinting and resin bezel/band. There you have it... some odd 25+ variations. Put a titanium back plate on one of them, and you can call it a Gulfman.

I'm thinking it must be very inexpensive for CASIO to conjure up a wide variety of dials, bezels, and bands, then put together an assembly manifest for each production season. The module is probably where most of the R&D was invested. But they hardly change now, so it's all "cash cow".

I'm fine with CASIO doing this if they can make money by providing great visual appeal and diversity so that customers can buy a G-Shock without it looking exactly like everyone else's. But they should give sufficient attention to the other segment of the customer base, that being the folks who are more into the functionality than the cosmetics. They have listened. I have seen gradual improvements, but then sometimes I see them fall back by reducing on previously delivered functionality (like shorter STW and CDT). Anyway, I'm beginning to wander and ramble...
    Last edited by xevious; June 27th, 2012 at 18:56.

Thread Information