Moon phase indicator
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moon phase indicator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moon phase indicator

I'm wondering what the deal is with these. This isn't a question of how to set it up, but rather why are they so prevalent? My older G-shock has a tide chart with a moon phase indicator so I understand it in the context of predicting tides. My new Mudman only has the moon phase and moon age. What's the purpose of knowing just that? I feel like I'm missing something since more and more G-shocks have these indicators.

Re: Moon phase indicator

Not sure.. I'm a much bigger fan of sunrise sunset data which is in precious few Gs

I use my moon phase for hunting and fishing! It is "somewhat" of a predictor of wildlife movement. Deer, Elk etc. and fishing. I also use it to set up hunting times. When there is a full moon the deer will eat at night and hunting in the morning is not as good. Its not perfect science but a fun tool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I find the moon data is interesting in the least, and helpful in planning some photography of mine. The only thing I really wish I had was sunrise / sunset data, and from what I've seen that's only available in a couple ProTreks.

Quote Originally Posted by comeoutpunching View Post
    Not sure.. I'm a much bigger fan of sunrise sunset data which is in precious few Gs
    Really? I always thought that this feature can only be found in Protreks.
    Please excuse my imperfect English :)

MY SMALL COLLECTION @WATCHSHOCK: CLICK

LUW

I think it's pretty cool to know the moon phase by just glancing at my wrist .

I also don't know of any G with sunrise/sunset data .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I like the moon phase as a "human predictor".
    MDPlatts likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Why would the Mudman have the moon phase? Well, this model is probably the most favored by the military. You'll be very interested in knowing what phase of the moon is upcoming if you have a night mission scheduled.

The G-Shock moon phase icon by itself is pretty much a novelty at this point. It doesn't tell you when the next full moon or new moon will be. What good is knowing that it will be a full moon on the upcoming evening if you don't know when it will rise and set? I find that rather useless. Regardless, it's very easy to find out what phase the moon will be in for the upcoming evening by looking on-line or by using a little app on your smartphone. Such apps can also tell you when the moon rises/sets. Same for the sun.

By the way, there was an early Gulfman (1999/2000) that came with moon/sun rise/set information. You can see for yourself in the module for the DW-9700. I think the Dolphin & Whale version (DW-9700K) was a JDM release only. And I'm not sure what kind of availability there was for the standard issue DW-9700, but given the lack of used inventory in the USA I suspect it wasn't released there.
    Last edited by xevious; June 3rd, 2012 at 03:47.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I have a gl-130 that has tide, moon graph, moon up and down, and sunrise and sunset. And dot matrix time. One of the faves :)

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by comeoutpunching View Post
    I have a gl-130 that has tide, moon graph, moon up and down, and sunrise and sunset. And dot matrix time. One of the faves :)
    I didn't know that about this particular Glide model. Apparently they also provide this additional data in the GL-150 (module 2463), GL-151, GL-160, and GL-180. The GL-130 to GL-180 range was produced in 2001-2003. In 2003, the GL-190 was released that omitted the sun rise/set data. Every Glide since then (like the GL-7500) lacked it as well, including moon rise/set times. At that point, they did away with times for sun/moon rise/set. A perfect case of CASIO doing away with perfectly good functionality. I wish it were possible to find out why.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information