Most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch

Hey there,
    I'm looking for the most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch that there is.
    Am willing to pay an extra few-hundreds for it to last my 9 years military service (and longer).
    I managed to ruin EVERYTHING, even unbreakable glasses and phone cases (costed me 200$ and I still broke my phone) so that's very important to me. Also I would prefer it to be well-featured and completely digital.
    Thanks a lot!!!

Re: Most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch

Quote Originally Posted by Tomer Michaeli View Post
    Hey there,
    I'm looking for the most durable and heavily-featured G-Shock watch that there is.
    Am willing to pay an extra few-hundreds for it to last my 9 years military service (and longer).
    I managed to ruin EVERYTHING, even unbreakable glasses and phone cases (costed me 200$ and I still broke my phone) so that's very important to me. Also I would prefer it to be well-featured and completely digital.
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Depending on what you put the watch through, don't know if any g-shock will last you 9 years of military service. The resin may deteriorate before then, don't know. But you could always buy an extra strap. Or, just a new watch after 4-5 yrs.

My recommendations are the GW-9400-1 Rangeman, or the GW-9300-1 Mudman. Mudman not quite as many functions/features as the Rangeman, but a decent set of features and still a durable watch.

ZFC

Here‘s my list of recommendet watches for you: GX-56, GW-9110/9100, GD-100, GD-120, GD-400.
    I really doubt that any military person will goin to use wristwatch to measure temperature, atmospheric pressure, altimeter etc. just sound silly since they have their own tools for this purpose(if is needed anyway). You say the watch should last at least 9years. So it is best to be solar. this reduce the list to GX-56 (prob the most durable and shock resist g-shock) and GW-9110 or GW-9100(light, relatively small, titanium bezel, back and screws ,and is master of G). So if you have big wrist go for GX 56, if not GW 91xx is for you.
    Of course GW 9300/9400 are great watches with tons of features, but are all plastic without alpha gel i.e not the same level of shock resistance as GX 56. Oh I almost forgot Frogman is also an option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tomer Michaeli View Post
    There are literally dozens of threads around here with titles like "Best G-Shock for the army?" https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Besides durability -- and pretty much EVERY G-Shock is going to be much more durable than a "normal" watch -- there are many other factors you should probably consider, such as "will it fit under my uniform sleeve?" and "will it be easy to tell what time it is at a glance?" ("Tacticool" negative displays are stealthy-looking, but they're not always easy to read in real-world situations.)

As other have said, nine years may be longer than a lot of G-Shocks are going to last without some maintenance, like strap or bezel replacements. "Heavily featured" sounds good in theory, until you actually understand how some of those features work. The altimeter on "ABC" watches is tied to the barometer, so every time the air pressure changes due to weather, the altimeter needs adjustment. The thermometer on those watches is relatively accurate (and adjustable) but it won't give accurate readings while it's strapped to your wrist because of body heat. An atomic watch may be appealing because of the extreme accuracy while you're in range of one of the six broadcasting towers around the globe, but it won't do you any good if you're stationed for months in parts of the world where there isn't any reception.

Read some of those threads in the link above and you'll probably realize why so many people recommend more "basic" G's for military service: they're inexpensive, quasi-disposable, and won't draw attention to themselves!
    Shofixti, RHJones and Crater like this.

when i read this kind of thread i always wonder why people arent looking for the watches with the dimmest displays and no alarms and no sounds it seems to me a bright watch with distractions and noise and flashing lights is a good way to get killed.
    wristbiter 9100 gulfman and mellow yellow g100-9cm

For my money, it would be between the GD-350 and the GD-400 in one of their various color variations. It all depends on whether you prefer vibration alarms and battery life (350) versus multiple time zones and tough design (400). Fwupow has videos on both on his YouTube Channel. By the end of these videos, you will have picked your favorite.
    Last edited by alexs12; June 28th, 2015 at 19:34.

My choices: Mudman, Rangeman, Frogman, and Gulfmaster. Out of all those, I would go with either Gulfmaster or Rangeman. Between the two, I would go with the Gulfmaster because it has analogue (with digital) because analogues allows me to see time at a glance.

Sub4

These are extremely durable but only have the usual standard digital features...STW, CDT, Alarms, etc.

King G-Shock, GX-56 and GWX-56 are even more heavily protected than standard Gs.

Last edited by yankeexpress; June 29th, 2015 at 04:58.
    Rocat likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sub4 View Post
    My choices: Mudman, Rangeman, Frogman, and Gulfmaster. Out of all those, I would go with either Gulfmaster or Rangeman. Between the two, I would go with the Gulfmaster because it has analogue (with digital) because analogues allows me to see time at a glance.

Sub4
    my choice would be the same.gulmaster/mudmaster and rangeman etc are very tough watches with a lot of useful features

I was looking for something dependable and rugged as well. Ended up buying a G-7900 as suggested by cal..45
    It has 2 stopwatches, countdown up to 24 hours, moon phase (althought it's tricky to set), tide (useless, but fancy), various timezones (haven't tried it myself, thought I think it can manage unusual timezones settings, like Caracas(?) -4.5 during DST) , 4 independent alarms + 1 snooze alarm, chime. And the buttons are a pleasure to press, unlike the stiff ones on the mudman.

Further reading here

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f105/tr...ck-536176.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information