MR-G worth the price?
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: MR-G worth the price?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

MR-G worth the price?

Hello everyone, I have been trying to pin-point my "grail" watch for quite some time. In my opinion, none of the big names are worth the price tag for what you really get. I have always admired my G's for their unbeatable toughness in every task imaginable, especially with how inexpensive they are compared to other brands. But I never really took the time to know that they had a flagship, top of the line model until recently. The MR-G. I am currently interested in the G1000B-1A model with the DLC coating on it.

I think it's perfect, the good looks of a high end sports watch, with the functionality of a indestructible modern tank. But, at around $3k I have a couple concerns that maybe you guys can help me with. With a watch more technology based than movement, I am hoping that this watch will not lose value too fast. I think that Speedmasters and Rolex subs stay around the same price for years, how about the MR-G? Secondly, is all the technology in the MR-G a pretty good deal for the price, compared to other G's, such as the Rangeman, Frogman, MT-G, etc.?

Thank you for the help.

Re: MR-G worth the price?

I wouldn't say the MRGs are good value for money, as functionally speaking, it is the same as the GPW-1000 for a third of the price, and both have a lot less feature than a Rangeman, which surely is the best value for money G

But, watch is an emotional purchase, and I like the combination of high end materials like sapphire and titanium, and to me, I like the idea of a high quality watch with a lowly name, that's why I have one

tbh if i have that amount of money burning a hole in my pocket, id be looking at used rollies
    TwoSixSided likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

I dont know about the value of MT-Gs in future.
    I bought used MR-Gs from the nineties for 1/4 of the retail.

For me 3K is just to much for a watch, whatever brand.
    I can buy 30 regular Gs for that money and have a different watch to wear for each day of the month.

Rubber-clad models are more scratch resistant, too.

Dang I thought the MR-G had all their top of the line technology inside of it, and that's why it was the most expensive.. This is turning into a even harder decision.

The answer to your question will vary depending on the individual, and none of the opinions given will be incorrect. Many will say 3K is too much to spend on a watch, and that is correct for them. For me personally, 3K is too much to spend on a quartz, and that is the right answer for me. However there are some members who have and enjoy the MR-G that will tell you that it is well worth the price for them, and they are also correct.

As for resale value? Pure speculation on my part but I would say it will not hold its value well, especially when compared to Swiss mechanical pieces. That is not to say that G-Shocks do not hold their value, some rare and sought after pieces even appreciate a great deal over time. However since much of the appeal for this particular watch is technology driven, I think it would likely loose value once the next generation comes out.

Also, to many of us (myself at least) the flagship G-Shock model is the Frogman. For 3K you could buy a nice Swiss mechanical military/sports watch that is plenty tough and robust (Marathon, Glycine, Fortis, etc.), and still have enough left over to buy the new Limited Edition Frogman. That is a watch which most of us would agree will assuredly hold its value and most likely appreciate in value. In fact, you would still have enough cash left over to buy a few more G's to be honest, even a GW5000. Point being, 3 grand will buy you a nice collection, even of higher end G's.

All that being said, I understand that the above might not be the answer for you if you are looking for your end-all be-all "grail" watch. So if this piece speaks to you as "that" watch (and it sounds from your post like that may be the case), I say go ahead and grab it if it is within your means. You only go around once, and I'm sure the quality of the MR-G will not leave you disappointed. If you plan on keeping it for a lifetime then resale value isn't much of an issue. However if you plan on flipping it in a couple of years to upgrade with a new watch, I wouldn't be surprised if the resale value will have diminished greatly.

Again, this is just one man's opinion, and if I had more money and less responsibilities I would buy them all, and I'm sure I would enjoy this one.

this thing afaik has an original price of $1000 3 years ago

Thank you, that was a very good post. It gives me a lot to think about. As someone who will not ever have a ton of disposable income, I am trying to fixate on just one grail watch. Your post has opened my eyes that maybe another brand would be the way to go.

Modern MRG is definitely not worth their ticket price, they are more "luxury" item than practice, and "luxury items" never worth the money that you pay. :)

The MRG is really for the hard core collectors or enthusiasts, its a niche market.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    they are more "luxury" item than practice, and "luxury items" never worth the money that you pay. :)

The MRG is really for the hard core collectors or enthusiasts, its a niche market.
    I fully agree with the above. I don't agree however that MRG isn't worth the price because, as stated above, price for luxury is in the eye of the beholder. Intrinsic value notwithstanding.

With MRG you are not buying a better module (movement). You can get the same features in a cheaper watch. What MRG brings to the table is material and manufacturing excellence. If all you care about is module features or resale price then I would suggest MRG is not for you.

If on on the other hand you're looking for the ultimate in Japanese watch technology (solar, atomic, tough mov't, etc.) wrapped up in a package using distinguished processes and materials (e.g. DLC finished Ti) and this package is "worth it" to you, then by all means. You won't regret it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information