MRG-1 bezel disintegration
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LUW
  • 2 Post By kung-fusion

Thread: MRG-1 bezel disintegration

MRG-1 bezel disintegration

I just took delivery of an outstanding vintage MRG-1 G-Shock circa 1996.however when strapped on the bez fell apart like an eggshell.the rest of the watch is perfect,the all Ti case is pristine,and the Xstal is mint,new battery/seals/pressure test,its all good.is there anywhere on earth to score a replacement bezel and strap,even aftermarket,any help greatly appreciated.

CHEERS
    john

LUW

Re: MRG-1 bezel disintegration

A new MRG-1 bezel? That's a (very) TALL order, sorry to say .
    Would you have any pics? i would be curious to see how the watch looks.
    iamsupersam likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I have 6 MRG-1's (including all 4 models) - two are naked but the other 4 are ok - though I think one of them is a little brittle and I've not "stressed" the others. One is the newest model the MRG-1Z-1 which is a year or more newer than the oldest ones.

They are (I think by comparing white, gold writing/buttons and black highlights with GPS) :-

Top Row - MRG-1B-1
    Middle Row - 2 x MRG-1-1
    Bottom Row - MRG-1G-1 (but with wrong strap on it), MRG-1B-1 and MRG-1Z-1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by MDPlatts; June 26th, 2012 at 20:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is a trick you can use. The MRG-1 takes the exact same size and shape bezel as a DW-9200K icerc. You can buy a dirty old yellowed DW-9200K on yahoo japan auctions for around $40. When you get it, remove the bezel and dye it black. The clear resin seems less susceptible to me to resin rot. I have never seen a clear resin bezel crumble like the old black bezels do. When it is dyed black, you won't know the difference between it and a real MRG-1 bezel.
    GatorJ and KVM888 like this.

Thanks - will have a look see when my (self imposed) FromJapan/Yahoo.co.jp fast finishes in a month or so.

Way south of the border by way of the Equator, in Niteroi - next to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

Another option to substitute the bezel is to use a GL-110 piece. Indeed, I have just today received one (colored navy blue) and installed it in my MRG-1. Aside from the different color (which looks pretty good, actually) the other outstanding difference is that the button holes are square instead of round. But inasmuch the new bezel protrudes a little bit more than the original towards the outside of the watch, the buttons remain covered from view but still readily in reach to the user.
    Cheers,

Marcello GT
    ---------------

From top to bottom, we are now @ 14270 meters deep in watches and still counting!

Thread Information