MRG-121T Refurbishment/Restoration Project

Thread: MRG-121T Refurbishment/Restoration Project

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MRG-121T Refurbishment/Restoration Project

I bought a MRG-121T around 7 years ago and even though I took care of it early on, it eventually became my beater watch. I got tired of it after a while, moved on and let it rot in some dark corner in my house. Lots of pics, click to enlarge.

I recently unearthed it and decided to refurbish it. This is what I found (not for the weak of heart):

I started working on using some #00 steel wool for the deep scratches and the finishing it off with some #0000. Titanium is soft so its easy to remove fine scratches with steel wool. Results starting to look good (dramatic even!), it seems to be losing some of its shine but the matte finish glows:

This is what I have so far, after working it over with Windex. It's still not finished, I need to buy a Dremel tool and work on the face a little. The scratches are way too deep to get with steel wool. Also take a look at Mitch100`s watch, its similar, notice how it alternates between mirror and matte finishes all over the place. Matte finish is easy to achieve but the mirror finish is not, and the mirrored sections are now more matte for me.

Rubber backing needs replacement...it stays on but is really loose, I used to play with it a lot and wore it out.

Did some more work on the strap and have pretty much given up on the face. Also, added a new battery to get the sweet green glow back.

Ok I would call this project almost complete now.

Couple things before this is fully restored, would love some help here (updated):
    1. Sheared top left screw, can`t open watch face. Where to buy replacement screws?
    2. Rubber backing loose. Where to buy replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by nomik2; August 10th, 2010 at 23:04.

Re: MRG-121T Refurbishment/Restoration Project

Hi nomik2:

Nice project! I do no have experience with titanium but for polishing the crystal you will need several grades of a diamond compound polishing paste (depending on the depth of the scratches). Not sure if this MRG has a sapphire crystal or a standard mineral glass. Both can be polished with the diamond compound, but the sapphire will take more efforts (a powertool, like the Dremel, is definitely a must if the scratches are deep).

As I said I have no experience with titanium, but achieving/restoring a (factory like) mirror polish on a steel watch is nearly impossible, unless you are a robot. Of course it is possible to get it quite shiny, but a real mirror finish does require a lot of skills (and tools).

I wish you the best of luck!

JH

P.S.: Here are some links to a thread on polishing the standard dw5600c

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/inside-dw5600c-part-3-polishing-round-2-a-368942.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/inside-dw5600c-part-4-final-polishing-round-including-crystal-modem-burner-408132.html

Few models would be more worthy of restoration.

Welcome to the forum.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nomik2 View Post
    Couple things before this is fully restored, would love some help here:
    1. Sheared top left screw, can`t open watch face.
    2. Very deep scratches on face.
    3. Dead battery.
    4. Rubber backing loose.
    5. Matte finish easy to restore, but mirror finish impossible.
    A few thoughts:
    1. Leave the screw as is. IF you really need to work on it try tightening the screws before attempting to loosen.
    2. The scratches are part of your watch's history. Leave them.
    3. Don't send the watch out anywhere. Have the local jewelry store do it if you're not comfortable.
    4. That rubber piece will be near impossible to replace. If it's falling off keep it somewhere safe in the meantime.
    5. Cleaning off dirt is one thing but polishing scratches can be the slippery slope. A little goes a long way. Don't go too far. Your watch has earned those scratches and bumps, they add character, leave them.
    Last edited by casiophile; August 10th, 2010 at 01:16. Reason: punct.

Well the rubber back is easy it was just glued on originally so just glue it back on.

The battery exchange is easy. Here is a pictorial walkthrough.

MR-G1789 electric battery exchange repair

The glass is mineral and in theory could be polished (hard) however if you used a power tool it would not be in danger from the heat like a digital with printed decals.

The broken screw is difficult but a professional should sort it no problem.

To polish the mirror finish is probably a professional job.

The deep dings are pretty impossible as you would have to remove a lot of metal and it would be hard to maintain the overall shape of the case.

The MRG-121T is a great watch though and it would be nice to see it brought back to life.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks! This is my 2nd G-Shock, I lost my first one unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by casiophile View Post
    4. That rubber piece will be near impossible to replace. If it's falling off keep it somewhere safe in the meantime.
    5. Cleaning off dirt is one thing but polishing scratches can be the slippery slope. A little goes a long way. Don't go too far. Your watch has earned those scratches and bumps, they add character, leave them.
    Damn! The rubber piece stays on (it wraps around the metal plate) but slides around, I was hoping Casio would provide replacements.
    In theory they add character, but if you had seen this watch a couple days ago you would have cried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    The glass is mineral and in theory could be polished (hard) however if you used a power tool it would not be in danger from the heat like a digital with printed decals.
    Surprisingly the glass is not scratched at all. Or this may not be a surprise at all...

I am looking to purchase a dremel, I think I can do more work on the face. I'll leave the deep scratches (for character ) and just bring some of the finish back to the face. It looks really odd with swirl marks from the steel wool. A cotton finisher with some polish would really smooth it out.

I did some more research and with the comments above, it seems like bringing the mirror finish back would be impossible. Ill just matte out the whole watch. It looks odd right now...the mirror finishes look like a scratched up mirror...really ugly.

Edit: Mirror finish itself is not very hard, but its hard for this watch as the mirror finished parts are really small and hard to get to. To get this mirror finished I will have to somehow seperate those parts. Very time consuming!
    Last edited by nomik2; August 10th, 2010 at 03:30.

Updated OP.

You might be successful with a Dremel, but even their slow speed is fast, meaning that it's difficult to work progressively. Mistakes can happen in a hurry...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Well the rubber back is easy it was just glued on originally so just glue it back on.
    Really? On my MRG-100 and MRG-1000 the covers are clipped on, so to speak. They snap over the back cover's corner which is like a ridge. On my MRG-1000, the back cover became wider with use and I finally ordered a replacement from Casio (Germany). Last time I inquired about a cover for the MRG-100 I was told that they were no longer available.

The broken screw is difficult but a professional should sort it no problem.
    Casio seems to glue-secure some screws. I totally ruined the band attaching screws on my GIEZ and had to replace them all. Casio might be able to provide the needed screws, though they will probably be pretty expensive.

Nevertheless, the most difficult task is likely to get the damaged screws out of the watch as their recessed location doesn't provide good grip, even with pliers.

damn i found that watch in great condition some years back on a flea market, but i didnt know anything about it, just didnt want to pay more than 10 euro. so i started with 5, and the seller just smiled at me and i smiled back. he asked 20 euro and i was shocked, but today i understand this was a bargain as i am sure i could trade him down to 15 or so. but i was used to spend not more than 5 euro on old plastic casios without battery, cause normally the seller dont know about it, and just have it in a big basket. my best find was a ts-1200 with no battery and band in mint condition for 1 euro.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information