MRG GPS Fail
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: MRG GPS Fail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MRG GPS Fail

Well I went to Tulum for a short break and was very excited to sync my watch using time and position in cancun.

I exited the airport, held the sync button down until the second hand pointed to t+p and waited.
    It synced and pointed to Chicago and set the time back one hour.

However that's not correct... Cancun / Tulum and NYC are the same time.

Kind of disappointed but not sure why the GPS module wouldn't know this.

Borealis Adraga
    Citizen AQ4020-03E
    GMW-B5000D/TFC, GWF-D1000NV
    IW378401, IW356501
    MKII x HALO Airborne, PMWF Graywater GMT
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze
    SBDX013, SBGA001
    116610LV, 116520

Re: MRG GPS Fail

It could be worse.... you could have discovered that it didn't sync properly in...Omaha, NE!!

That's odd though. Hope it's not broken!

I don't really know how the GPS watches work -- do they determine their location and then pick from a pre-programmed list of time zones?

If so, and if that model watch is more than a year old, it might have something to do with Cancun and the surrounding area only recently switching to NYC time this time last year: Cancun Will Change to Eastern Standard Time - ABC News
    cbkihong and r00t61 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I don't really know how the GPS watches work -- do they determine their location and then pick from a pre-programmed list of time zones?

If so, and if that model watch is more than a year old, it might have something to do with Cancun and the surrounding area only recently switching to NYC time this time last year: Cancun Will Change to Eastern Standard Time - ABC News
    It's too bad there is apparently no way to update the firmware in these watches to handle timezone changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

I think you are spot on there with the cause of the problem, there is no way for the watch to update its internal table of time zones, so it will fail when the time zone and daylight saving algorithm changes. There really need to be a way to do software upgrades on the watches to fix this problem

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I think you are spot on there with the cause of the problem, there is no way for the watch to update its internal table of time zones, so it will fail when the time zone and daylight saving algorithm changes. There really need to be a way to do software upgrades on the watches to fix this problem
    Casio heard you and just introduced a smart watch to save your day! Obviously sarcastic ...

Exact same with my Beast- it set to Chicago time. Could be that it is very close to the line and it's kind of weird how they carved up the Yucatan Peninsula time zones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    It's too bad there is apparently no way to update the firmware in these watches to handle timezone changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    The good news is that this doesn't happen all that often -- the only other time zone change that I'm aware of was in North Korea last year. (Trolls came out of their way to f17 to LOL about "it's North Korea -- who cares what they do?" when my point was that this sort of thing could happen anywhere, and apparently it did in Mexico!)

Casio can't anticipate time zone changes, which don't happen that often, and DST changes, which happen more often. This is WHY Casio doesn't attempt to program DST dates into their "world time" watches, since there's a good chance that some of those dates would change within five years -- and that's why we have to manually turn DST on and off on our watches for other regions.

Again, I don't know much about the GPS system, but the lower-tech, atomic clock radio transmitters actually encode "DST on" and "DST off" into the radio signal. I would think that GPS does the same thing, but it still won't help if the watch "thinks" it's in a different time zone.

Operator error, the watch is fine. Set it on the correct time zone, ZD+5.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; January 28th, 2016 at 06:34.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Operator error, the watch is fine. Set it on the correct time zone, ZD+5.
    I thought the "fun" of owning a GPS watch was that it's supposed to figure out the location and time zone itself -- which this one almost did, and would have if the Mexican government hadn't switched the time zone last year.

Did you read the whole thread?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information