MTG-920DA black out

Thread: MTG-920DA black out

MTG-920DA black out

I put my MTG-920DA out in the Florida sun to charge up the battery. It charged up to full, but then went down to half charge again. So I put it out for some more rays. When I came back the second time the entire face was blacked out, it looked like the ink or whatever its is had blead all over the face.

I brought it into the shade and a few minutes later the blackness began to blead back to where it came from. Now it looks perfect and is still fully charged, days later.

ever see that happen? i thought the watch was ruined, but it seems to be fine

Re: MTG-920DA black out

I've had this happen with other LCD items. I once left a calculator in a hot car for several hours, and when I returned the display was completely black.

After it cooled off, it was fine.

WallaceD

From the manual:

"Also note that allowing the watch to become very hot can cause its liquid crystal display to black out. The appearance of the LCD should become normal again when the watch returns to a lower temperature."

Watch should be fine

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is not unheard of and is even talked about in the tech manual. I had this issue with a GW-300. The manual says to put it in a cool place & everything returns back to normal. Not sure of the reasonfor this reaction. Perhaps Sjors or Ozzie would know the technical reason for this. I would guess that it's not something you would want to repeat on a frequent basis. It scared me & only happened the once. I learned to keep an eye on it after that.

G's are so cool, you couldn't do that with a Rolex :-D

Wink Re: MTG-920DA black out

Liquid Crystals work under specific temperature ranges. G-Shock LCD have a extreme temperature range. Not many LCD displays work under -18ºC, but there are limits. A liquid crystal is a very special structure that has both crystal( solid) and liquid properties. Like any other matter, this state can change under influence of temperature. With extreme heat this can result in a liquid state, which blacks out the LCD or makes it clear (depends on the polarizers).

There Liquid Crystals are very complex molecules, often cholesterol derivates, I think that extreme heat eventually will cause this molecules to fall apart or denaturate , destroing the display eventually.

It seems the Florida sun is very heavy. I have never experienced this. On vacation I often place my raysman on top of my tent to charge it. It never blacked out.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

See, I told you if anybody would know it would be Sjors! Where else but this forum could you get such a wide range of experts with the same love of watchs + speak/read & write English!! Truly amazing. Thanks, onced again for all the contributions.

Wink Re: MTG-920DA black out

Ha Ha,

I suspect AtomicSolar (a Chemistry colleague) and Cesium to know more about LCD's than I do. I had a very bright student last year, who did an extra study in his vacation about Liquid Crystals. He had shown me his dictates and rapports. That's why I know a little about this subject

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thread Information