MTG-G1000D vs MRG-G1000D question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjha

Thread: MTG-G1000D vs MRG-G1000D question

MTG-G1000D vs MRG-G1000D question

so with the addition of gps capability on the MTG-G1000D is there really any significant differences between this and the MRG-G1000D anymore?

granted, the MRG has the titanium band and the aesthetics are slightly better but is that really it? titanium is lighter than ss, but i actually like a little weight on my watches.

the layout on the MTG dial has a p/a and 12 hr subdial rather than a 24 hr subdial on the MRG, but other than that are there any other functionality differences??

please enlighten me if i'm missing anything, but if that's all then i'd rather purchase the MTG over the MRG and pocket the extra $2k!
    madman01 likes this.

Re: MTG-G1000D vs MRG-G1000D question

Here are my thoughts:

MTG over MRG:
    - Cheaper
    - Newer and better module with 24 hour SW instead of 24 min and new motors with faster hands for the sub dial

MRG over MTG:
    - Smaller in size
    - Lighter due to titanium construction
    - All metal body, the MTG has a resin case sandwiched by SS plates

MTG-G1000D wasn't released when I purchased my MRG-G1000D earlier in the year, but if I'm making the decision now, I'll still go with the MRG for the following reasons:
    - If I'm buying a metal G, I want it to be all metal, not resin mixed with metal
    - Lightweight and smaller, I looked at the MTG-S1000D and found it to be too big and heavy. Obviously this is subjective, but as my wrist is only 6.75", the MTG was simply too big

Hope that helps

thanks aalin. i'm relatively new to the gshock brand, a convert from the swiss brands after i bought the beast this year. i'm a sucker for time accuracy and low/no maintenance so once i discovered gps + atomic time keeping + solar, i was all in. the beast has been great for casual wear but not so much for professional wear due to it's thickness. i can't get the darn thing under my sleeve! will the MTG fit under a sleeve without issue? is it that much thicker vs the MRG?

all good points in the comparison. i must admit the MTG's resin on steel band was a turn off. first time i've seen that combination on a watch at that price point and not sure why it's done that way....that's a mental hurdle i need to get over if i decide on the MTG.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jjha View Post
    thanks aalin. i'm relatively new to the gshock brand, a convert from the swiss brands after i bought the beast this year. i'm a sucker for time accuracy and low/no maintenance so once i discovered gps + atomic time keeping + solar, i was all in. the beast has been great for casual wear but not so much for professional wear due to it's thickness. i can't get the darn thing under my sleeve! will the MTG fit under a sleeve without issue? is it that much thicker vs the MRG?

all good points in the comparison. i must admit the MTG's resin on steel band was a turn off. first time i've seen that combination on a watch at that price point and not sure why it's done that way....that's a mental hurdle i need to get over if i decide on the MTG.
    Actually, thickness is about the same between MTG and MRG, but the width and length of the watch is much bigger on the MTG. Can't comment on fitting under the shirt though, best to look at them in person if possible

As for the resin, just bear in mind that the watch case itself is also partly resin, this can be seen from the watch's aide profile. It is still a well made watch, and I really like the new blue one, but I still prefer an all metal watch

jjha, not sure what is your wrist size but you might want to check earlier MRG/MTG releases.
    I also have small wrist (6.75). I tried the MTGS1000 and it was too big.

With budget of $3K you can get 3 watches MRG8100B, MTG1200 and MTG1200B from Japan including shipping. Duty excluded of course.
    All 3 have the same functionality except of GPS.

If you live in Atomic clock signal reception area then it should be good enough for you.
    Even without atomic sync I believe 8-10 sec drift per month is still better than most of automatics.

my wrist size is 7 1/8". based on casios spec's the mrg and mtg are identical in thickness and about 2 mm less than my gpw-1000. my guess is the mrg was designed for professional wear so it should fit under a sleeve without issue. is that an accurate assessment for anyone currently wearing their mtg or mrg with a long sleeve dress shirt without an issue?

gpw-1000 ==> 18.8 mm
    mtg-g1000 ==> 16.9 mm
    mrg-g1000 ==> 16.9 mm

i do like the gps functionality so i'd like to have that. i hardly travel out of my timezone these days, but do like it for the tech and bragging rights.

so, knowing now that the mtg has gps capability and on equal footing with the mrg in terms of functionality and is $2k less, what would you choose and why?? i think the price premium may not be worth it since both have the exact same functionality and both are very handsome watches. on a scale of 1-10 i would say the mtg is a solid 7.5 - 8 and the mrg is a 10.

the biggest factors for me to choose the mrg over the mtg is the all metal band and the dial layout with just the right amount of color to bring it out, much like two beautiful women, one with no makeup and the other, just the right amount. perhaps this is worth a $700-800 premium, but $2k?? what say you?

Only you can decide on which is better for you, I made my decision and I'm happy with it

Just want to chime in that fitting under sleeve depends on the size of your sleeve as well, I can fit my MRG under my sleeve if required, but it is a tight fit and feels a bit weird. The MRG is just small enough for my wrist, whereas the MTG has the lugs just a little wider than my wrist. Also, unlike a resin strap watch, an oversized bracelet watch has the tendency to move around more due to the watch and the straps not being fixed at an angle. Not sure if that make sense, but something to consider and ideally best to try them on in person

Hi aalin how are you. I bought the MTG G1000GB 1a last month. Its black on gold DLC treated so the resin is not too noticeable.

I do like the MRG G1000 in DLC black but at almost 2.5times the price I am not there yet. With the GPS feature and DLC treatment the gap between the MTG G1000 GB-1A and the MRG G1000 has narrowed a lot. Of coz as u rightly say the MRG G1000 is all titanium with no resin and is smaller. But I already have a Seiko Astron all titanium GPS to fill that place in my small collection.

And I also like that "bank vault" tough look of the MTG G1000GB 1A. lol its even larger and more bad ass than the previous MTG line

I will leave the MRG G1000 for next year maybe. lol

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    Only you can decide on which is better for you, I made my decision and I'm happy with it

Just want to chime in that fitting under sleeve depends on the size of your sleeve as well, I can fit my MRG under my sleeve if required, but it is a tight fit and feels a bit weird. The MRG is just small enough for my wrist, whereas the MTG has the lugs just a little wider than my wrist. Also, unlike a resin strap watch, an oversized bracelet watch has the tendency to move around more due to the watch and the straps not being fixed at an angle. Not sure if that make sense, but something to consider and ideally best to try them on in person

Thread Information