Are the MTG910 and MTG920 ALL metal?

Thread: Are the MTG910 and MTG920 ALL metal?

Are the MTG910 and MTG920 ALL metal?

Considering the MTG910DA1V or even the 920. From the Amazon site, they quote the 910 case material as stainless steel as well as the band. But from a couple pictures I have seen, it seems actually to be plastic or resin.

Now I had a DW004 many years ago which at the time I had for about 10 years and the resin case was actually falling apart.

I'd like something durable for the long haul that won't fall apart like that, but I am hoping that the 910/ 20 are all metal.

Can anyone confirm? and even if not a metal case, how durable is the resin cases of the MTG?

Also, I live in the caribbean... I somehow doubt it, but does the atomic system work in Trinidad?

Thanks in advance...

Re: Are the MTG910 and MTG920 ALL metal?

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    To answer your question - no, the MTGs are not completely stainless steel but a resin/steel-mix. If you want a case that's completely stainless steel with a little resin on the outside for extra protection - go for either a GS (GIEZ) model, a vintage or modern day MRG, or a DW-5000/GW-5000/DW-5025, a vintage DW-5600C or a Frogman (old models were titanium - new GWF-1000 is stainless steel with resin cover). One of the cheapest ways to get a stainless steel G-Shock with screwback and resin bezel is the DW-5000SL or a vintage DW-5600C:

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Wink Re: Are the MTG910 and MTG920 ALL metal?

Hi Mishi,

Welcome to the G-Shock forum! Likew Sedi already answered, it is Metal/Resin mix. It is actually mentioned in the series name MT-G. MT-G menas Metal Twisted G.

Talk about a beaten up DW-004. I bought it 9 years ago an my son has worn it for another 8 years.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcomes...

I didn't know that about the MT-G acronym... always thought it was Metal- G shock.

I had a green to that one you had Sjors... but with the leather/ nylon watch band. What started happening is that the soft resin areas where the band held began to "dry rot" and break apart. I couldn't even find a way to put a band on it.

Eventually the top part of the resin (like the white in your picture) began to just fall apart...

The thing with the other watches are while there are the stainless cases, the bands are resin... and while there are the full metal ones, they are analog...

I had my heart set on the MTG910 but I am unsure on whether or not that resin mix would be durable... is it a hard resin or soft like the dw004?

Last edited by MISHI; September 9th, 2010 at 03:16.

Well,

I bit the bullet and ordered the 910da today... should get it sometime next week. Hopefully we'll see how it goes.

It's a hard resin case. FWIW, I've had my MTG910DA for 4+ years and it hasn't yet shown signs of deterioration. Nothing lasts forever, but I'm confident that I'll get my money's worth out of it.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

True. I received it a couple days ago and I am quite impressed... the resin part of the case is quite solid and looks as if it can take a lot of abuse...

And it's nice to know that this side of the world (Trinidad and Tobago) can be updated via the atomic timekeeping mode.

The only thing I have an issue with really and I'm not sure if it's just me, is that we don't use DST here and turning it off, causes the GMT time and london etc to be 1 hour MORE than the actual time with DST on. I don't know if it means when SAT comes into play that the watch will go 1 hr slower (hope not) but we'll see.

DST has to be manually set for each country. Check the setting for London.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I figured out the issue. because it was set to NYC time it carries a -5 GMT and -6 GMT (in DST) time. Up to this point I always thought NYC would be -4 GMT... guess I was wrong.

So I set it to Caracas and the times are now all synchronised, but at the cost of the automatic timekeeping mode not available any longer. Pity... I liked that feature...

Thread Information