MTG950/960, decisions decisions..

Thread: MTG950/960, decisions decisions..

MTG950/960, decisions decisions..

I bought an MTG950BDJ off eBay for $120 about a year ago, and I've loved this thing ever since. As fate would have it though, it ventured with me through some rough activities about two weeks ago, and the metal band broke.
    Literally, the pins that hold some of the links together snapped.
    However the watch has survived, which proves how tough these suckers are.

I went searching the interweb and found that Casio came out with a new model, the MTG960DA
    Looks nice, but the module is only 2818.. what's the difference between 2819/2818?? The 950 is also a bit more expensive than the 960.. what did they leave out of the 960??

Then I found this on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Casio-Atomic-G-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Completely different model, but same 2819 module?
    I can't find that watch anywhere else as well, but only because google gives me sites in Japanese when I search for it, hmmmm.

So what I'm asking is:
    How hard is it to have the metal band replaced on my MTG950BDJ?
    Would it be better to buy a new one (ignoring cost)?
    Which one would you get, another 950, or the cool steel blue 960, which happens to be cheaper, and has module 2818 (as opposed to 2819)?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Re: MTG950/960, decisions decisions..

platonic, i've raised this same question before. what i've found is that all the black metal models seem to be more expensive than the silver metal models for some reason. i have a 960 and its a great watch. i don't see any difference between the module of a 960 and that of a 950. i think it just depends on your color preference. i hope this was helpful.

T'was helpful. Thanks

I'll aim for the silver/blue 960 for now, because blue is my favorite color, and it looks so sexy with silver.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
    ..and if time permits, this community looks pretty decent, I may hang around

Bryan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, yes, the Blue Bezel is very cool. I also like the Stealthed out rest of the watch.

I take it that you have already had a Reverse Display G-Shock. If not, in my opinion, I would stay away from them. The Reverse Display is very difficult to see unless you are in Very bright sunlight. I have both the Regular GW-5600 and the Reverse Display GW-5600. The Reverse Display one I never wear and will most likely sell it, even though it looks really cool.

If you don't mind not having the Blue Bezel, I would maybe look at the MTG910DA. See link below:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=37870

Todd.
    Last edited by Newjeep; November 29th, 2006 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Newjeep View Post
    Hi, yes, the Blue Bezel is very cool. I also like the Stealthed out rest of the watch.

I take it that you have already had a Reverse Display G-Shock. If not, in my opinion, I would stay away from them. The Reverse Display is very difficult to see unless you are in Very bright sunlight. I have both the Regular GW-5600 and the Reverse Display GW-5600. The Reverse Display one I never wear and will most likely sell it, even though it looks really cool.

If you don't mind not having the Blue Bezel, I would maybe look at the MTG910DA. See link below:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=37870

Todd.
    Yep, I still have an MTG950BDJ in my posession (with broken band), and in fact prefer the reversed display over non-reversed.
    I never seem to have an issue reading it, even in somewhat low light conditions. There's always a backlight if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by plat0nic View Post
    Yep, I still have an MTG950BDJ in my posession (with broken band), and in fact prefer the reversed display over non-reversed.
    I never seem to have an issue reading it, even in somewhat low light conditions. There's always a backlight if I need it.
    Ya, I have heard that not all Reverse Displays are hard to read. Buy the model that's on eBay. But I wouldn't pay that much for it. I only paid $75.00 for my MTG910 at Costco, in fact that was so cheap, I bought 2. I'm sure you can find yours for a lot less than $150.00.

Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Newjeep View Post
    Ya, I have heard that not all Reverse Displays are hard to read. Buy the model that's on eBay. But I wouldn't pay that much for it. I only paid $75.00 for my MTG910 at Costco, in fact that was so cheap, I bought 2. I'm sure you can find yours for a lot less than $150.00.

Todd.
    LOL, I paid a lot more than $150 for my GW-700BTJ-1JF. It's a titanium model that I had to get from Higuchi, though.

The 2819 module (also in my GW700) has a radio receiver that works in the USA or Japan. The 2818 is a USA only model that only receives updates from Colorado.

I didn't think it mattered to me until I went to Japan this past spring. Having my watch work there was too good.

It won't make any difference to you if you're not going there though.

Manuals:
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2818.pdf
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2819.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    LOL, I paid a lot more than $150 for my GW-700BTJ-1JF. It's a titanium model that I had to get from Higuchi, though.

The 2819 module (also in my GW700) has a radio receiver that works in the USA or Japan. The 2818 is a USA only model that only receives updates from Colorado.

I didn't think it mattered to me until I went to Japan this past spring. Having my watch work there was too good.

It won't make any difference to you if you're not going there though.

Manuals:
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2818.pdf
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2819.pdf
    If that's the only difference, then I can most definitely live with that.
    I hope to visit Russia sometime in my lifetime, but I don't really foresee Japan.. and losing sync ability for a short period isn't the end of the world either.

Thread Information