Mud resistance?
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mud resistance?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,189

    Mud resistance?

    What does it actually mean?
    I mean my Frogman is not mud resistant as far as i know as opposed to the Mudmaster and Mudman.
    What would happen to my Frogman or any other G Shock that is not Mud resistant, if it would be covered in mud?

  2. #2
    G-Shock Mod stockae92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern California - USA
    Posts
    13,507

    Re: Mud resistance?

    The older mud resistant model has bezel that covers the buttons, so its less likely that mud would stuck around / over the button (or mud filled the space around the button) to ensure you can operate the buttons even when the watch is covered in mud.

    think of its as if the "area" around the button on a DW6900 is filled (and packed) with mud, (and/or you are wearing gloves), its would be very difficult to operate the buttons. I kinda tested that in snow. G9000 Mudman doesn't share that issue. :)

    In Mudmaster, it has double seal on the button stems and oversized buttons for the same reason.
    watchw, xevious and umarrajs like this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  3. #3
    Member Time4Playnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: Mud resistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchw View Post
    What does it actually mean?
    I mean my Frogman is not mud resistant as far as i know as opposed to the Mudmaster and Mudman.
    What would happen to my Frogman or any other G Shock that is not Mud resistant, if it would be covered in mud?

    Your Frogman would be rendered completely inoperable. So by all means - AVOID getting it muddy!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member xevious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about
    Posts
    6,100

    Re: Mud resistance?

    There are people who wear their G-Shocks in muddy conditions. Mountain biking. Wet weather hiking. Spelunking. But I image it's a small fraction of G-Shock owners. "MUD RESIST" is nice to have... just like having a "RUST RESIST" with titanium case and/or backing. In actuality, the stainless steel quality is so amazingly good, the only way it would rust is if exposed to salt water frequently and the wearer is negligent with doing a full rinsing every time. How often will you end up with mud/silt caked in underneath the bezel to interfere with button operations? For a vast majority of people, never.
    Last edited by xevious; September 22nd, 2017 at 05:48.
    watchw and Fergfour like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    136

    Re: Mud resistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    There are people who wear their G-Shocks in muddy conditions. Mountain biking. Wet weather hiking. Spelunking. But I image it's a small fraction of G-Shock owners. "MUD RESIST" is nice to have... just like having a "RUST RESIST" with titanium case and/or backing. In actuality, the stainless steel quality is so amazingly good, the only way it would rust is if exposed to salt water frequently and the wearer is negligent with doing a full rinsing every time. How often will you end up with mud/silt caked in underneath the bezel to interfere with button operations? For a vast majority of people, never.
    I even lost a button of my g-7500, because of mud trapped in between the case and the button itself.




    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Mud resistance?

    "Mudresist" is first and foremost a marketing gag, just like "tough solar", "tough movement" and what not. It seems a miracle that basic G's like the DW6600/6900 or DW5600 without any mud protection have survived for decades on the wrists of hundreds of thousands of soldiers in the harshest of conditions....

    Of course there is rumour that higher priced G's in the approx 1000 $ range are specifically prone to mud and other nasty things, it's said the marketing cost of such models is so high, that Casio spend extra thin gaskekts (eg low protection) to compensate the cost.....


    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

  8. #7
    Member Tetsu Tekubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, AU
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: Mud resistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchw View Post
    What does it actually mean?
    I mean my Frogman is not mud resistant as far as i know as opposed to the Mudmaster and Mudman.
    What would happen to my Frogman or any other G Shock that is not Mud resistant, if it would be covered in mud?
    it means its a model with extra features for muddy environments.
    it doesnt mean other models arent, (actually quite the opposite) its just those models have features and marketing towards that market.

    what would happen? nothing.
    what should happen is you doing a search before making a post, i swear its like you have a 6th sense to making a post about the more frequently asked topics. cant wait for you to bring up the rangeman lug non-issue
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin


    IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

  9. #8
    Member Steelerswit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9,840

    Re: Mud resistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    "Mudresist" is first and foremost a marketing gag, just like "tough solar", "tough movement" and what not. It seems a miracle that basic G's like the DW6600/6900 or DW5600 without any mud protection have survived for decades on the wrists of hundreds of thousands of soldiers in the harshest of conditions....

    Of course there is rumour that higher priced G's in the approx 1000 $ range are specifically prone to mud and other nasty things, it's said the marketing cost of such models is so high, that Casio spend extra thin gaskekts (eg low protection) to compensate the cost.....


    cheers
    ??? What the ??? Wow, just wow.

    Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

  10. #9
    Member Miklos86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,673

    Re: Mud resistance?

    As others have already mentioned, the "mud resist" feature actually means extra protection for the buttons, so little particles aren't supposed to enter when you press them. The Rangeman also has mud resist, the extra pair of gaskets around the buttons.

    It may be a marketing gimmick, but it gives me extra peace of mind, as mud and sand are quite deadly for mechanical watches. When building stuff from sand in our sandpit with my son - which is by definition the intended environment for tough watches - I am at ease leaving the Rangeman on my wrist. I even go as far as letting the boy operate the big light button which is his favourite (same as during bathtime).
    Adam020 likes this.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    136

    Re: Mud resistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    "Mudresist" is first and foremost a marketing gag, just like "tough solar", "tough movement" and what not. It seems a miracle that basic G's like the DW6600/6900 or DW5600 without any mud protection have survived for decades on the wrists of hundreds of thousands of soldiers in the harshest of conditions....

    Of course there is rumour that higher priced G's in the approx 1000 $ range are specifically prone to mud and other nasty things, it's said the marketing cost of such models is so high, that Casio spend extra thin gaskekts (eg low protection) to compensate the cost.....


    cheers
    As already said, I know for sure that regular Gs won't stand mud abuse, as my G-7500 failed.

    It's a wise move from Casio to acknowledge and adress this problem by issuing watch like the well-named mud-something serie or the rangeman.


    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....
      By petew in forum Reviews
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: October 8th, 2012, 12:36
    2. "Mud vs Mud" a Quickie Comparison
      By ilovewatches in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 19:08
    3. FS: Casio G-Shock Mudman Mud Resistance Watch G9000-3V Dark Green
      By lcheetec in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: January 27th, 2007, 08:59
    4. Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....
      By petew in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: July 26th, 2006, 23:10

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •