Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....

Thread: Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....

Since thereís been so much talk and buzz about the new and old Mudmen around here lately I thought itíd be fun to do a quick and informal comparison between the father and son. Iíve got both a DW-8400-BM-1T and a G-9000 so these are the two Iíll use for the review. Your mileage might differ if you have a GW-9000.

Lets jump right in.

The hallmark of and probably the major change from tradition that Casio introduced with the original Mudman was the covered buttons. The thought obviously was to eliminate little crevices that mud and dirt could penetrate in thereby affecting performance.

Both the old and new Mudmen have addressed this in different ways. With the old, Casio has covered up the normal buttons with a pliable plastic/rubber covering. With the new, the buttons are a much harder plastic with no pliability. Is one better than the other? Well, itís hard to say.

It is a fact that the old do have a limited lifespan. Anyone whoís been a long time searcher of the Mudmen series of watches has undoubtedly comes across old Mudmen for sale with torn or ripped out buttons, so itís quite possible that Casio realizing this inherent weakness has made the change in the new model. I will say that the new ones certainly inspire more confidence than the old.

Cases and straps are probably the Achilles heel of all old Gís. They rip tear or otherwise just disintegrate. Is the old better than the new? Thereís no way I can objectively answer this question. Of course weíd like to think that Casio is improving their plastic compounds with all new releases, but thereís no way to tell.

I do think Casio took a step in the right direction with the plastic covering over the caseback on the new model. If in fact mud resistance is a real concern, Iíd bet this caseback covering could provide an extra layer of resistance over the 8400. Anyone whoís ever taken apart an old well worn G can attest to the gunk that can seep into the gaskets over time. Incidentally, I see this both with the old heavy back screw in cases as well as the newer 4 screw plate cases. Lastly, I will note that eagle eyed owners will see that the plate screws in the 9000 are just a little more beefier than those in the 8400.

I have also noticed that the strap on the 9000 is slightly thicker than that on the 8400. As far as overall weight (not that itís any indication of quality) they both seem to me to weigh the same. Since the 9000 is a little smaller, I suppose you could say it feels a little more dense than itís older larger relative.

When you get to the functions, itís easy to pick a winner. The 9000 clearly wins with its enhanced stopwatch and alarm functions vs. the 8400ís older traditional capabilities. Of course, letís not forget the cool Dual Illuminator technology as well.

Obviously when you look at overall physical design, no one can pick a winner. This is a totally subjective area and everyone will have their own opinion. The 8400 is definitely a bigger and thicker watch. On the wrist, the 8400 comes across as big and chunky while the 9000 projects a sleeker modern more purpose built profile. Both are fun to wear for this Gshock collector.

When you look at actual model variations, itís easy to give credit to the 8400 series which came in multiple color scheme variations. Only time will tell if Casio does the same with the new 9000.

Bottom line, both are fine watches and besides that the fact that the 8400 is certainly at this time more collectible, Iím pretty sure no one can objectively say that one is overall better than the other. And just because the 9000 can be had for much less than an 8400, donít think in any way at all that it is any less of a G.

Hope you enjoyed the quick and dirty write up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Mud vs. Mud Pictorial and Essay....

Thanks for the pics. I love the crean Mudman.
    Jason T. Castillo
    The WatchDawg

Quote Originally Posted by petew
    Anyone who’s been a long time searcher of the Mudmen series of watches has undoubtedly comes across old Mudmen for sale with torn or ripped out buttons, so it’s quite possible that Casio realizing this inherent weakness has made the change in the new model. I will say that the new ones certainly inspire more confidence than the old.
    Indeed, I've seen quite a few Mudmen in such condition, here's a link:

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g46797215

I've seen at least 2 or 3 other Mudmen like that...

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e57775254

Really gotta wonder what happened to that one :-X

Excellent pictures

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well done. I do believe that newer G-Shocks are made of longer lasting materials.

Quote Originally Posted by petew
    Hope you enjoyed the quick and dirty write up.
    Not quick and dirty at all - more like thoughtful and objective. Some of the recent focus on the new Mudman has actually made me want to stay away from it!

Thanks.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Nice Essay

I have both Mudman watches & can see Pro's & Con's; but being G-shocks I can be happy with that.

BradB-)B-)B-)
    Brad
    Have a great day.

PeteW - Thank you. That was a very nice and objective evaluation. No voodoo. No black magic. No lofty phrases. Just the facts. It was both well-written and informative.

Hello Petew,
    I'll echo everyone's statements here. A great piece. I think credit goes to Casio for producing this watch which pays homage to the G-shock II. The recent re-release of this models confirms this for me.

About the size of this watch (indeed size in general of Casio's model of late)
    Having seen a few photos of the dw-5600E on the arms of Japanese people I can see why Casio downsized. Even this small watches look GARGANTUAN. However for other markets this is claimed to be a problem (too small). Still, I saw the movie JARHEAD and Mr and Miss Smith wear the actor wore a dw-5600 and g-2310b (like mine!! ) respectively. They watches looked very chunky:-D . So wonder if it's not a case of making the watches bigger, but perhaps Casio moving away from the "shaped fit" system. That is, allowing to bands to rotate through a larger radius.

I think it's fair to say that this model isn't a replacement for the dw-8400 MUDMAN and I don't think Casio has yet made replacement for the Master of G series...yet. Fingers crossed.

If Casio did re-release the Masters it would Carnivale! If they re-release predominately screw back watches...there would be rioting in the streets :-D .

Eitherway I thing the new MUDMAN is the a step in right direction.
    I liked the recent g-8000, the gw-056 and the Silencer. However admitadly these models failed to fire. With the debacle of the failing solar cells in mind also it's good to see Casio pick up the bat and have another swing.

Again, great article Petew. Food for thought.

EDIT: One area that I would crtique the g-9000/gw-9000 on would be what some have reported to be an inability to accept band adaptors. Hopefully someone will suprise us all with pictures to the contrary.
    Last edited by Resinbandit; July 25th, 2006 at 03:52.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSolar
    Indeed, I've seen quite a few Mudmen in such condition, here's a link:

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g46797215

I've seen at least 2 or 3 other Mudmen like that...

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e57775254

Really gotta wonder what happened to that one :-X

Excellent pictures
    It's resin rot I tell 'ya!:-D Same thing happened to my beloved 5300 and 6600 bezels.

Nice Pete!! - I learn from you daily :):) Guess my GW-9000 is a Muddie..

Thanks, Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information