Mudman 999 Hour Stopwatches

Thread: Mudman 999 Hour Stopwatches

logician

Mudman 999 Hour Stopwatches

It occurs to me that it's somewhat amusing to include two 999 hour stopwatches that count the entire term to hundredths of a second on a watch that is accurate to only +/- 15 seconds per month... Has anyone noted a higher degree of accuracy from their new aquisitions to make these stopwatches useful, or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Re: Mudman 999 Hour Stopwatches

That is rather funny. The stopwatch can be no more accurate than the watch. I've never looked at it that way.

logician

Indeed. At 720 hours, it'll be off by as much as 15 seconds, rendering 2 complete fields of the display useless. At this level of accuracy, they should have made it a 48 hour maximum, at least the seconds count would be more or less 'guaranteed' to be accurate. Leaving all those flashing digits over such a long time period creates the illusion that it's accurate. It's precise, yes, but not accurate. I'd rather have an imprecise, but accurate display to the minute. It can just be done mentally, sure, but the aesthetics of the situation is distasteful. The kind of people who need a stopwatch like this will find it useless - which is why they use thermocompensated crystals on stopwatches designed to accurately time 'long' events...

What could have been done is to make the watch radio controlled. When a user starts the stopwatch, the exact time is stored into a register and the stopwatch displays a calculated result of the time now minus the time stored in the start register. In this fasion, the stopwatch could then make use of the atomic signal corrections and run continuously for these long periods with an accuracy of +/- 1 second for the duration of the event, no matter how long...
    Last edited by logician; September 28th, 2006 at 16:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some thoughts.....

First of all...of course there's a marketing aspect involved with it....the watch is associated with I think Toyota and their involvment with ultra long off-road races.

So I guess I don't understand your point....if the guys in the truck want to measure their time in a one month long endurance race, is 15 seconds off such a big deal? It's a good chance that the "official" stopwatches used for events like this...or even perhaps something as high profile as the Tour De France, are much more accurate...their probably just using off the shelf digital stopwatches.

I could be way off, but I've never seen any super high accurate thermo compensated stopwatches for sale anywhere.

logician

Re: Some thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by petew
    So I guess I don't understand your point....if the guys in the truck want to measure their time in a one month long endurance race, is 15 seconds off such a big deal? It's a good chance that the "official" stopwatches used for events like this...or even perhaps something as high profile as the Tour De France, are much more accurate...their probably just using off the shelf digital stopwatches.

I could be way off, but I've never seen any super high accurate thermo compensated stopwatches for sale anywhere.
    My point is that the 'accuracy' of the stopwatch is misrepresented. Yes, for official events I'm sure they employ better ones. If you've never seen such a thing, check Hewlett Packard for high quality frequency standards - they're the world leader in such equipment and I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you one for many thousands of dollars. My solution works with existing casio hardware and requires only a software change, however, making it much cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by logician
    It occurs to me that it's somewhat amusing to include two 999 hour stopwatches that count the entire term to hundredths of a second on a watch that is accurate to only +/- 15 seconds per month... Has anyone noted a higher degree of accuracy from their new aquisitions to make these stopwatches useful, or is it just a marketing gimmick?
    That gives me new appreciation for my humble DW-5600 (which I'm wearing today) - there's actually a very good reason for it to disable the hundredths on the stopwatch after an hour! (the alternative being using the box in the upper right for hundredths and not showing the time - a lame alternative).

After one hour, it might be as much as .08 hundredths off if it's running in spec, which renders the hundredths digit totally useless. After 75 minutes, it could be off by a full tenth. Mine actually runs a little out of spec (gains 20 or so seconds a month), so it's even more true.

Still more evidence that module 1545 is awesome (as if we needed any)!

Thread Information