Mudman DST questions, and Rangeman question
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisek
  • 2 Post By einsteinjon
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Mudman DST questions, and Rangeman question

Mudman DST questions, and Rangeman question

Hi all - I am new here and am looking at getting a G-Shock. It will probably be either the G9300-1 Mudman or the new Rangeman when it comes out. Long story short, I was looking for a watch that could take some abuse, be easily cleaned when I sweat on it, not be a desk jockey watch, etc. Needless to say I came to the decision of getting a G-Shock.

Sorry if my questions are answered elsewhere. I tried the search function but I was just getting piecemeal answers in various threads, so I decided to create my first post.

My question for you all is...I know the G9300-1 Mudman has a DST function, but if I were to turn on the DST mode, does it account for every time zone, or only my home city? Guessing from the user manual, it sounds like I would need to set every individual time zone on a case-by-case basis, which seems cumbersome. I don't do a lot of out-of-the-country travel, so I technically don't need other time zones updated, but my personality is such that I'd be annoyed if I didn't have all the time zones correct at any given moment. In other words, is the watch smart enough to know when DST should be on/off for various time zones? I know the double-edged sword of a feature like this is that if it were pre-programmed and some country changed if/when DST occurs, I'd be stuck with an incorrect watch. I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, but can you all lend me some advice here? What would need to be done to this particular watch DST-wise to keep it accurate in all time zones?

The other watch I am thinking about is the Rangeman. Does anyone know at this point if the readily available version due out in November will be atomic? Or will it be a situation like the Mudman where the overseas version was atomic, and the US version of the Rangeman (like the Mudman) will not be atomic? Reason I ask is: if I were to get an atomic G-shock, would it update every time zone as appropriate if/when DST occurs? Or would it only update the time based on which atomic signal it is receiving (e.g. the Colorado signal would update U.S. time zones, but it would not update China, for instance). I'm not really sure the ins and outs of the atomic feature, so I may be way off base here with my questioning. I guess to ask it another way: when receiving the atomic signal, does that signal update every time zone on the watch, including accounting for DST as appropriate?

Thank you all for the help and feedback! I look forward to drinking in your knowledge.

Re: Mudman DST questions, and Rangeman question

Welcome einsteinjohn! Good questions about two good watches.

First, DST, as I also deal with it regularly. The simple answer is "no". Just as the US government changed DST dates recently and the watches have no "updates" Casio simply can't account for governing bodies changing their minds.

I regularly use World Time as one of my go to functions basically between various parts of Mainland USA and various countries on the west side of the pacific ocean. Once you "know" then you simply leave that DST setting while you are working with that time zone.

Fortunately Casio does know some cities don't have DST at all (ie., Honolulu) and defaults to "off" even if your home city is "on".

As for the Rangeman, the whole world is getting the atomic version. The big difference is the US market version will be getting resin straps vs carbon fiber straps. The plus side is the suggested retail drops from ¥50, 000 (approx $500) to $300 in the US. If you NEED the carbon straps, I would wait for the 2nd wave of production to release and get one from wherever.

If the resin straps are a non-issue for you, they are beginning to trickle out.

Enjoy whichever watch you get and wristshot when you get it!

sent with aloha
    gripmaster likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Chrisek - thanks for the reply! I visited Oahu almost a year ago for my honeymoon and it was gorgeous! Tell the island I say aloha.

Good to know the Rangeman will be atomic. As mush as I'd love carbon fiber, the extra $200 is not worth it to me. As for atomic, does the atomic feature update every time zone every instance it receives the signal?

Lastly, how do I convince my wife I need the Rangeman when the Mudman price is already a tough enough sell to her?
    Chrisek and Tobarm1907 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by einsteinjon View Post
    My question for you all is...I know the G9300-1 Mudman has a DST function, but if I were to turn on the DST mode, does it account for every time zone, or only my home city? Guessing from the user manual, it sounds like I would need to set every individual time zone on a case-by-case basis, which seems cumbersome. I don't do a lot of out-of-the-country travel, so I technically don't need other time zones updated, but my personality is such that I'd be annoyed if I didn't have all the time zones correct at any given moment. In other words, is the watch smart enough to know when DST should be on/off for various time zones? I know the double-edged sword of a feature like this is that if it were pre-programmed and some country changed if/when DST occurs, I'd be stuck with an incorrect watch.
    Chrisek summed it up pretty well already, but I can add more to make this subject about as clear as mud.

"...if I were to turn on the DST mode, does it account for every time zone, or only my home city?" From what I can tell, it depends a little bit on where you live and/or your home city. Casio has programmed their watches to "know" that New York City, Chicago, Mexico City, Denver, Edmonton (YEA), Los Angeles and Vancouver are all on the same DST schedule. I live in the US, have DST set to "auto" and have NYC as my timezone, so right now all of those cities are showing as DST without my having to manually adjust them.

I'm kind of curious to know if only North American market watches are programmed this way, or if someone with an -ER suffixed, European market watch would have the same results if THEY made NYC their home city.

As far as knowing the time in the rest of the world, though, I have to manually turn DST "on" and "off" on a case-by-case, city-by-city basis. As I've mentioned in other threads, at last count there are twenty-seven weekends each year when SOMEPLACE is going on or off Daylight Saving Time! That means the truly obsessive-compulsive need to check this handy chart on wikipedia regularly about eight months out of the year!

Edit: somewhat surprisingly, since the first time I looked at that list and saw a disorganized mess where governments seemed to just pick random dates, it now looks like most of the northern hemisphere has decided on only two schedules: the North American dates or the "UK and Europe and everybody else" dates. It's a lot less chaotic than it used to be.
    Last edited by Mike K; October 10th, 2013 at 01:58.
    gripmaster likes this.

I do not have those specific models, but generally, if you need to turn on DST in World Time mode, you just push and hold one of the buttons when you are viewing that time zone.

Does anyone know if the atomic feature updates every time zone on the watch with every instance it receives the signal? Or does it only update the time zones near it (for instance the Colorado signal would maybe update the CST, EST, PST, MST, Hawaii, Alaska)?

For atomic updates they are indeed to tuned to what home city is picked (as there are a couple frequencies). Only a couple are picked to not bother looking (again, Honolulu is one of them as an example). To be clear, if you pick a time zone in the continental US, it will be looking for the Colorado tower, no worries ;)

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thread Information