Mudman or Gulfman? please help me decide!

Thread: Mudman or Gulfman? please help me decide!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mudman or Gulfman? please help me decide!

Hi all, newbie here! I've decided to purchase my first G-shock watch as a sort of weekend/tool watch for swimming and recreational diving. I'm stuck however between the mudman and the gulfman and i need help deciding. I'm quite taken by the mudman's ruggedness, but at the same time i like the idea of the titanium in the gulf. I have a few stainless steel watches now so titanium would be something new. I have noticed that the mudman is quite popular among the members here and i'd like to know why exactly is that? Also does anyone know whether the gulfman's pushers can be used underwater? Lastly i have a question regarding those nubs on the mudman's caseback. I've read some saying it makes the watch uncomfortable, i've tried the watch on myself at an AD, and haven't found it to be bothersome. But i'd appreciate comments on this. Sorry if this post seems so long! TIA guys.

Re: Mudman or Gulfman? please help me decide!

I'm afraid I don't have either, but for what it's worth:

a) I tried a Mudman and as reported by various people, the button pushers are very stiff. I didn't like that;

b) I prefer the looks of the Gulfmen

I have both... Id lean toward the Gulfman. The question is, revolver or tidegraph? :)

I have had sevearl mudmans... I like the look and design. I wore my atomic muddy yesterday and my remaining non atomic today... and just wasn't feeling it. Nice mud "proof" casing but stiff buttons and slightly uncomfie knobbies on the back.

I need a revolver gulfman!!!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have both and I don't think you can go wrong with either! Personally I wouldn't push the Gulfman's buttons underwater, but I would use the Mudman underwater (because it seems to be completely sealed in rubber but I could be wrong). Having said that I can't really think of any reason to use the watch in water ... ?

Also if you try them side by side, you will notice that the Gulfman feels much more flimsy against the Mudman as far as pressing the buttons ... But it looks very cool with the tidegraph etc. and I'm certain both watches would last you many years of hard use!

Titanium - It gives me a feel-good factor but apparently the stainless steel is almost rust-proof anyway so this is not a big deal.

Nubs on back of Mudman - I like them but they leave dents on my wrist if I tighten the watch. So they're fine as long as you wear the watch a bit loose (which I do).

So maybe just pick the design you like best! Let us know which way you go.
    -- Gray
    Current Favourite: PRG240 (the orange-tinted one)

Welcome.

They're both great. Each will hold up really well. It's more a matter of personal taste.

I have a bunch of both, and I would have to pick the G-9100 Gulfman as the most G for the money. The bands and wrist presence are really different between these though, so you'll have to try them both out to see which you like better.

You can't go wrong with both.

K42

I've never owned a Gulfman, but I have 2 Mudmen.

While I think the Gulfman looks cool, I think the Moon/Tide graphs are a real deal breaker for me. Just personal opinion, but I find them useless on a watch. So, the only Gulfman I would consider would be the Solar/Atomic model. But I would still take a Mudman first.

As for the Mudman, I think the nubs on the caseback make the watch extremely comfortable, especially in warm weather. It really helps keep the caseback from sticking to your wrist if you're sweating. I've never had any complaints about the stiff pushers, with the exception of holding down the Adjust button.

Good luck deciding, but realize that it may be best to just get both.

I also have both, gulfman is actually little more comfortable for me, as for the looks, they both look good, so its a toss up for me. Considering you can get non-solar versions of each for around $60, I say get both.
    Couple of watches here and there

Both are great watches. I have both I prefer the Mudman expecial the GW9000.
    I have wide wrist and the gulfman was very uncomfortable. My 9 year old son wears it now. He loves it.
    Rolex GMT 1675
    Rolex GMT 16750
    Seiko SKX007J
    Seiko 6309 7049
    Seiko Arnie H558
    Seiko Tuna SBBN017
    Suunto Vector
    To many G-Shocks

i know for sure tribe likes the gulf, i on the other hand luv the mud.
    but before u decide, go on and check on other models.

my advice as others, get BOTH !!!!! ftw....
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by mansrow View Post
    i know for sure tribe likes the gulf, i on the other hand luv the mud.
    but before u decide, go on and check on other models.

my advice as others, get BOTH !!!!! ftw....
    i've actually tried both on and that's why i'm having trouble deciding. both seem like great watches! i also happen to have small wrists (around 6.25 inches) should this be a factor in what watch i get? i may well get both, but not just yet. a little background: i'm a fresh college grad and i just got a new job 2 months ago. so money isnt exactly pouring in for me yet. :P

on a another note: you guys reply fast! WUS must be really addicting huh?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information