Mudman Mystery: What's going on here? (UPDATE)

Thread: Mudman Mystery: What's going on here? (UPDATE)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mudman Mystery: What's going on here? (UPDATE)

Hey guys, I was hoping the G-Shock gurus here could help me out with a problem I'm having. (Pics at the end)

A couple weeks ago, I noticed an oval-ish discoloration on the face of my Mudman. It is only visible in intense sunlight, but not always visible in intense sunlight.

My first thought was, "condensation." However, I seriously doubt this now, for the following reasons:

1. I can never see the translucent discoloration in indoor lighting under any conditions.
    2. I have subjected the Mudman to numerous water resistance tests (full immersion, cleaning, showering, etc.) over the past couple weeks, and it has shown no signs of leaking. All of the functions are working properly.
    3. The oval-ish discoloration is always in the exact same spot, exact same shape, etc.

The only thing I can possibly think of is some kind of chemical damage on the face that reacts with sunlight...but that seems awfully far-fetched! I'm at a loss.

Here are some pics I took opportunistically with my cell phone. Notice how moments later, the spot is GONE. Not harder to see, but nonexistent. This is true under any indoor temperature/moisture/lighting conditions.
    Mudman Mystery pictures by XTrainer - Photobucket

So what's going on here?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Mudman Mystery: What's going on here?

Does it come and go depending on the angle of the watch to the light? If so, could it be a reflection of some kind?

If it's clearly not a reflection, then I might be thinking along the same chemical reaction lines as you. Or if not a reaction, then some residue on the crystal.

I guess you've tried cleaning the crystal to check that it's not on the surface of the crystal?

Other than that, I'm as stumped as you are.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Definitely not a reflection, at least not in the sense you're talking about.

I have cleaned the crystal, but maybe not with the right agents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

maybe it's on the inside of the crystal? only noticable in strong light (sun)? just a thought.

Kev

It looks like condensation in the first pic, and it's in the right place for it too. Just because it isn't obviously leaking when you've tested it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have the potential to leak under certain conditions.

As you've obviously eliminated any obvious problem on the outside, I think you're going to have to crack it open and have a look.
    'I never done it'

I've got that on my Suunto Observer. Took it to swim plenty of times and no signs of leaking. It's just condensation. I don't know where it comes from but it's there. I've opened the case,pulled out the module and gently hairblowed the whole thing. Did not work,the thing is still there and it's a lot bigger than yours.
    Last edited by gettocard; September 16th, 2010 at 00:06.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It looks like condensation in the first pic, and it's in the right place for it too. Just because it isn't obviously leaking when you've tested it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have the potential to leak under certain conditions.
    I think so too.
    It could be a minimal amount of moisture which is sometimes gassy and transforms under certain conditions.
    And it's such a low amount that it doesn't affect the functions at all.
    Only atomic clocks tell you what time it is - all others try to do so.

Looks like condensation, for the record I had a watch that passed a watertight test for 50m but every time I wore it it got condensation in it, it was most likely sweat seeping through the seals .. very very slowly ..seals changed then all good.

However it is also known that when the watch is closed if the air you closed it in was humid it traps the humidity inside and if it is in fact watertight it will never get out , this can cause a very slight patch like you say you have , so it should be closed in a room that has low humidity IE Air conditioned . You might try leaving it open for half an hour then closing the back in an airconditioned room .

Your watch is haunted! We must perform an exorcism. Max Von Sydow is on the way.

Ok , so that is definetly mosture trapped inside your watch, I will tell you what to do and you will have no problems after, and this works for cell phones droped in water and other electronics.
    First you need an air tight tupperware so no air enters it once you have started the operation, sencond you need to fill it up with rice, yes with rice, after that open your watch and put all its pieces in the rice so that there are all covered up, and leave it for 24 hours, after that just put the watch back togheter and it will be good as new, please post the results if you decide to go with my metod .
    Not Enough Time !

Mike!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information