mudman rally - modding the red metal bits?

Thread: mudman rally - modding the red metal bits?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mudman rally - modding the red metal bits?

I just got my first g-shock, a new mudman rally. I really like this watch but I'm not crazy about the red bits, both the metal parts under the shroud and the red g-shock text on the shroud itself.

I pulled the shroud off and it appears the red bits are just anodized aluminum. I'm guessing I could sand the red off pretty easily with a scotch brite pad.

So, this leaves me with two questions.

1) is there an easy way to darken the metal after removing the red anodize? perhaps some chemical I could brush on in small quantities to prevent damage to the rest of the watch.

2) what are the best methods for blacking out the red G-SHOCK and white SHOCK RESIST text on the shroud?

Thanks.

Re: mudman rally - modding the red metal bits?

For the red metal on the case, I would skip the hassle of sanding and finding a special chemical, and simply paint over it with black enamel paint (like for scale models) or nail polish. As for getting rid of the paint on the bezel, use a product called Goof-Off and an old toothbrush.

http://mygshock.com/wiki/Stealth_a_G-Shock
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=294221
    Last edited by sl8763; October 1st, 2009 at 18:44.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    For the red metal on the case, I would skip the hassle of sanding and finding a special chemical, and simply paint over it with black enamel paint (like for scale models) or nail polish. As for getting rid of the paint on the bezel, use a product called Goof-Off and an old toothbrush.

http://mygshock.com/wiki/Stealth_a_G-Shock
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=294221
    the goof off wont hurt the resin will it? ive been pondering the same thing. the bright white shock resist gets to me..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I did the goofoff today. I dipped just the resin shroud for about ten minutes and the paint came off with no other obvious changes to the material.

I tried painting the metal bits as well, but all I could find was a really old bottle of black nail polish, it's so old that it's really thick and gunky. I'll have to go pick up some new stuff tomorrow.

Thanks for the links sl8763.

Quote Originally Posted by dblj View Post
    the goof off wont hurt the resin will it? ive been pondering the same thing. the bright white shock resist gets to me..
    Nope, it won't unless you let it soak for a while. I personally don't do the soaking method. I brush some Goof-Off on a dry bezel and let it sit for a few seconds, then brush with a toothbrush, reapplying Goof-Off as it evaporates. Every now and then I like to dunk the bezel in a bowl of water to minimize the effect of the solvent on the resin. Takes a little while, but works well and guaranteed not to harm the resin. People have found that soaking can lead to the plastic deforming.

mayostard - good stuff! Glad it worked for ya
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

now if I could just wrap my head around the concept of the rally timer.

I didn't even bother removing the red on my rally Mudman and just painted over it w/ Ace indoor/outdoor enamal spray paint (Of course, I masked off the rest of the watch before painting). Also, this paint works on any colored buttons, writing, bezel pieces on any g-shock 'cause the color matches really well. Any overspray can be removed or will wear off as needed.

I actually like the spray paint idea. The metal parts pry off pretty easily, there's just a bit of double-sided tape holding them in place.

Quote Originally Posted by mayostard View Post
    now if I could just wrap my head around the concept of the rally timer.
    Believe me - it's one of the most useful features on that watch. Just think of it as a countdowntimer with ten freely programmable start times that are available at the press of a button - very useful for all kinds of stuff. I use it in the kitchen a lot and at work.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Nice to see some love for the Cylon :D I've had mine on for the past couple of days - super watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information