Mudman or something else?

Thread: Mudman or something else?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mudman or something else?

Good day gents.

I am looking to purchase my first G-Shock. I am leaning towards the basic Mudman (G9000-1V) at this point in time after reading the forums.

These are the requirements I have for the watch:

Interval timer (workouts, etc) that repeats

Waterproof for swimming, fishing, boating

Easy to read

Tough

To add the twist, I am contemplating a move to New Zealand. I would be using the watch for the same things there but don't think moving up to a Atomic Solar would be worth it as there is no atomic signal there (as far as I can find out).

Does the solar add to the Mudman or does it really matter with the length of time the batteries usually last for? Can I get a signal for the atomic function in NZ?

If so I would buy the Atomic Solar Mudman (GW9000A-1).

I don't think a tide function would be functional in NZ as they have some odd tides that are hard to predict for the most part so the Gulfman is down the list quite a ways (though all bets are off if I can get a LNIB Orange Gulfman for a decent price).

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Wes

Re: Mudman or something else?

Welcome to the forum! The basic Muddy is a great choice, the atomic solar muddy's both have there set backs, the 5 eye doesn't display day, numeral and date on the same screen and the rally has that big ugly square in the center that almost never has the G displayed in it, it only displays it when recieving the atomic signal. There are alot of great models with the functions you prefer, just a matter of picking the one you find most pleasing to the eye.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Banned

I think solar is worth having, and so it is worth finding a G with solar that you like the look of. I wouldn't worry about atomic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The basic Muddy seems to be alot of new members 1st G. I feel you can't go wrong with it Good Luck & Welcome
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

I actually just bought a mudman yesterday, it is great. It does everything you said, it is very tough, and is waterproof to 200m so fine for diving/swimming. I like it being non-atomic/solar because i can sync it manually in less time than it can sync automatically, and my solar watches always run out of battery on me. It is also pretty easy to replace batteries, not a big deal for me. The only downside of the mudman is the hard to press buttons, but I don't really mind them. I expected them to be harder, and they don't press when i bump the watch into things, which is good. I would say to go with the mudman unless you need more features, since the features are pretty basic.

The Mudy is a Great G It and my Gulfy get worn about the most. I like solar but it is a trade off that in some cases is not worth it. On the standard Muddy you get dual stopwatches which to me is one of the best features. I run a 4 mile path by my home and I keep my best time and reset the second stopwatch until that becomes my best time Also the EL on solar is not as bright as standard battery EL's . Changing batteries is not hard and the battery should last over 5 years anyway. The battery costs about 2 bucks so solar is not worth the extra money in my book.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by wesm View Post
    Good day gents.

I am looking to purchase my first G-Shock. I am leaning towards the basic Mudman (G9000-1V) at this point in time after reading the forums.
    I too have a mudman, but honestly wouldn't buy one anymore. it's buttons are simply too hard to press which i find totally impractical for daily use (especially with wet/sweaty hands and/or gloves). as a result mine sits 99% of the time in the box. the functions of the G-9000 are great, but since the G-7900 hit the market, there is in my opinion no reason to buy a mudman anymore. the G-7900 does excatly what the G-9000 does plus it is also a G-9100 gulfman - all in one watch. and - most important - it got the biggest and easiest to push buttons of all g-shock's to date (thick wintergloves are not a problem) so it outperforms the mudman in every aspect.

These are the requirements I have for the watch:

Interval timer (workouts, etc) that repeats
    sound to me that a G-7700/7710 would be probably a better choice for you. it features two 100h countdown timers which can be set individually down to the second.

Waterproof for swimming, fishing, boating
    any g-shock will do that, no matter what model.

Tough
    same here.

Easy to read
    the G-7710 with negative display is a real star in legibility during daylight, it will put many positive displays to shame. however if you are looking for a watch that is also often used in low-light conditions, a positive display might be the better choice for you - but it's a personal matter really.

To add the twist, I am contemplating a move to New Zealand. I would be using the watch for the same things there but don't think moving up to a Atomic Solar would be worth it as there is no atomic signal there (as far as I can find out). Does the solar add to the Mudman or does it really matter with the length of time the batteries usually last for? Can I get a signal for the atomic function in NZ?
    not a chance to receive a signal in NZ, so forget about atomic. also another vote against the mudman: i don't know why but the mudman is the least precise g-shock i ever had (and i know at least two people with the same results). it gains about 30-45 seconds per month which is quite much for a quartz watch and not in casio specifications.

about solar: it has it's place when a rechargable battery is a substitute for silver-oxide cell driven watches, but other than that it is usually completely overrated. compared to watches which run on CR2025 lithium batteries (G-9000, G-7900, G7710) it is not only unnecessary but rather counterproductive.

If so I would buy the Atomic Solar Mudman (GW9000A-1).
    sorry, thats about the worst choice you can make. besides the hard-to-press buttons, the GW-9000 has only a very basic and limited module. only a 60min timer for instance with no repeat function at all.

I don't think a tide function would be functional in NZ as they have some odd tides that are hard to predict for the most part so the Gulfman is down the list quite a ways (though all bets are off if I can get a LNIB Orange Gulfman for a decent price).
    like i said above: the G-7900 is also a gulfman, so no worries. the tide graph might not work well in your area, but the moongraph surely does. only two features which might not necessary but none-the-less nice to have. but your most important goal should remembered first: easy to operate buttons under all conditions.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

G 7710 Neg - absurdly good watch for the price.

A simple fix for the stiff buttons, (which I never found to be a problem) would be to remove the bezel and boil it for a few minutes, I have read that it will help. Other wise a great model, I have found myself really wanting the all black stealth MS version here lately, definately on the short list.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    A simple fix for the stiff buttons, (which I never found to be a problem) would be to remove the bezel and boil it for a few minutes, I have read that it will help.
    i have done this on quite a few mudmans (my mom's, friends, mine) and although boiling soften the buttons a bit, makes not much of a difference. I wouldn't speak of a problem with the buttons either, they are just not very comfortable to operate in my opinion. and using them during watersport activities or with wet hands, can be quite frustrating.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information