Multi-Band 6 in Eastern U.S.

Thread: Multi-Band 6 in Eastern U.S.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Multi-Band 6 in Eastern U.S.

Has anyone living toward the end of a signal's coverage area found that Multi-Band 6 models do not sync as consistently as Multi-Band 5 or less models? As the weather turns cooler, I find that even in Manhattan (not a great area for atomic sync. generally because of all the buildings and r/f interference), most of my watches are sync'ing reliably. The two that are the least reliable are my two Multi-Band 6 models. They reside in a six slot watch box with four other atomic/sync. models and often are the only two watches in the box that don't sync. on a given night.

Re: Multi-Band 6 in Eastern U.S.

No MB6 watches here. Mine are currently in a drawer and all of them usually sync. But, I'm not in a big city w/ lots of interference either.
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

I'm in nyc as well, my riseman does miss some syncing while the other MB5 models sync on a more consistent basis. Weird eh?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kleptoix View Post
    I'm in nyc as well, my riseman does miss some syncing while the other MB5 models sync on a more consistent basis. Weird eh?
    Yeah. It makes me think that adding the capacity for receiving a sixth signal, somehow required a compromise that made the radio a little less sensetive overall.

Sounds like the making of an entry in You Know You're Watch Nut When: "You know you're a watch nut when you need to go upstate this weekend, because your G-Shock hasn't synched downtown all week and could be +/-.03 seconds off by now."

Seriously, it would be interesting to learn that the sixth signal hit a technology threshhold and required a compromise.
    Last edited by AutoLou; September 22nd, 2008 at 22:59.
    current watches Seiko 5 SNXS77 · G-Shock DW5600E-1V · Timex T2M489

Not a Multi band 6, but a 5 band: having the same issue north of you (Boston area). My Silencer never missed a signal (including in a box in the Post Office!). It always synced whether it was on my wrist, bedside or in the watch box. New GW5525A has to be in the window facing west to get the signal, but never misses the first one.

Laughing Re: Multi-Band 6 in Eastern U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoLou View Post
    Sounds like the making of an entry in You Know You're Watch Nut When: "You know you're a watch nut when you need to go upstate this weekend, because your G-Shock hasn't synched downtown all week and could be +/-.03 seconds off by now."

Seriously, it would be interesting to learn that the sixth signal hit a technology threshhold and required a compromise.
    My God, that really COULD be me! Is there any help for me? Is it already too late?????

Quote Originally Posted by Snowback View Post
    Not a Multi band 6, but a 5 band: having the same issue north of you (Boston area). My Silencer never missed a signal (including in a box in the Post Office!). It always synced whether it was on my wrist, bedside or in the watch box. New GW5525A has to be in the window facing west to get the signal, but never misses the first one.
    Those of us on the Eastern Seaboard are pushing it a bit, I guess. Back when I had more free time, I used to occasionally listen to shortwave radio. I had two pretty decent Sony shortwave portables. Even with a dedicated radio and a fairly good antenna, the signal from WWVB in Fort Collins, CO was not always clear. (There is an audio signal [or at least there used to be] -- you can listen to the seconds ticking and an automated voice announcing the time every minute.) It is pretty amazing that a wrist watch can receive that signal at the same location -- even if it doesn't do it perfectly every night.

Down here in Miami my Riseman is resilient to sync. So I guess I am out of range?

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiJAG View Post
    Down here in Miami my Riseman is resilient to sync. So I guess I am out of range?
    Well, if my guess that MultiBand 6 G-Shocks have radios with lesser range and sensetivity is correct (and my guess is nothing more than an uneducated stab in the dark), you might have better luck with another atomic model.

Also, I suspect reception will improve -- even in Miami -- as winter approaches. My recollection from the years I used to listen to shortwave is that signal propagation is better in the winter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information