Multiband 6 ATOMIC sync issue (Florida)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JonL
  • 1 Post By robfurrow

Thread: Multiband 6 ATOMIC sync issue (Florida)

Multiband 6 ATOMIC sync issue (Florida)

I live in Florida and yes, it's a long way to Colorado, where the signal originates, but is there a trick to getting it to recieve signal?

I own the GWX-8900:

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390916411321.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390916427639.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  43.2 KB

Can't seem to get my watch to sync. I have tried multiple places and even outside, with no luck. Im about ready to wrap aluminum foil around my head and point towards the stars, if that will atleast get it to sync once!

Re: Multiband 6 ATOMIC sync issue (Florida)

Have you tried to let it automatically sync at night? If you try to manually sync during the day, there is far greater electromagnetic interference during daytime hours, the sync will most likely fail. I live in NYC, and have never had a manual sync work in the day. But most of my atomics sync without issue every night. Try to place the watch near a window in a west or northwest facing window and let it sync overnight. You might have to try different spots. It should be possible to get the signal from Florida ... mine have had no issues when traveling to South Florida... and even Jamaica too.

But if it doesn't sync, don't fret - it'll keep great time on it's own.. just periodically check on timeanddate.com
    trainerKEN likes this.

Do you live in downtown amongst the tall buildings or out in the suburbs?

There could be interference with your surrounding area. I live in South Carolina and my watches sync each night while facing west to the beach.

I believe there are some models which sync easier than others but off the top of my head I do not remember which one(s) they are.

Are all your functions turned off. I think Sedi stated in one thread before where a watch will not sync if other features are running.

Have a great day,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I live in North Carolina near the coast. My G's only sync every couple of days. The one that sync most frequently is the GW500a. It is kind of frustrating when I can't get a nightly sync but oh well.......I still enjoy my G's :)

I've read several posts from members in Florida who had the same problem until they tried....

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Have you tried to let it automatically sync at night? If you try to manually sync during the day, there is far greater electromagnetic interference during daytime hours, the sync will most likely fail.
    The signal carries a LOT farther at night. Here's a handy reference map from the National Institute of Standards and Technology showing the approximate coverage area of the radio signal from Ft. Collins over a 24 hour period: WWVB Coverage Maps

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    I live in NYC, and have never had a manual sync work in the day. But most of my atomics sync without issue every night. Try to place the watch near a window in a west or northwest facing window and let it sync overnight. You might have to try different spots. It should be possible to get the signal from Florida ... mine have had no issues when traveling to South Florida... and even Jamaica too.
    I'm in Ohio and have only gotten a "good synch" during the daytime a handful of times -- but mine synch every night from a west-facing bedroom.

I'm on the opposite corner of North America, I'm in Vancouver BC and my watches will only sync after midnight and ONLY certain spots in my condo. It took a while to figure out the "sweet spot" (in the condo), but now... they sync every night

...oh and yes, they have to be AT the window... I mean, literally, my watches are sitting on the windowsill

Oh man! That map is outstanding, Incredibly informative too! I am proud to say, after 6 months of wearing this watch, I got my very first sync this morning, when I turning off and on the radio and manually updating outside, positioning the face toward the Colorado's. Thank you so much for all your help and support.
    Last edited by robfurrow; January 28th, 2014 at 20:47.
    Mike K likes this.

Oh! Canada! We stand on cars, and freeze!

Glad you got this sorted.
    I live near Buffalo, and my GWA1000 syncs every night on my wrist in bed (ground floor behind a small hill to the west).
    I'm only a couple of hundred miles closer to Ft.C than St.Pete's...
    Last edited by fatiredflyer; January 29th, 2014 at 00:35.
    “Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it". Flannery O'Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Are all your functions turned off. I think Sedi stated in one thread before where a watch will not sync if other features are running.
    The watch will not sync when a timer is running or when it's not in timekeeping or worldtime mode - a running stopwatch is not a problem however.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information