WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

This was my 1st ever Casio--what was yours?

42K views 191 replies 144 participants last post by  oldspice 
#1 ·
I was about 11 at "Big School" and saved to buy a watch from Dixons.

After looking at their display this is what I bought.

CASIO AE-9W

(not my actual watch but an image from the web)

It was (to me at least the future!) and I wore it with pride until it broke.

Hope you like it, so what was your first Casio?

Regards,

Lotus

See less See more
#8 ·
i had a casio when i was about 5. it was square and my dad got it from a trip to hong kong. i dont remember the model number or what it looked like anymore. what i remember is that it was black and it had blue around the display. that was 31 years ago recently i got bitten by the casio bug again and this was my first ever casio g.

#9 ·

I know it's in a briefcase in the house somewhere - I just can't find the briefcase!

#11 ·
Here it is - a Casio F-5. I got one for Christmas I THINK in 1981 (I was 7 years old). It started my love of watches. I am sooo bummed that I didn't hold onto it (along with all of my other watches from the 80s and 90s.)

At one point I was trying to find another one. I even had the highest bid on one on Ebay with 2 seconds left in the auction then someone outbid me with a split second to go.

BTW OP I once had that exact watch you are showing. ANOTHER one I wish I had kept :(.

Attachments

#15 ·
This is not the exact watch I had, but it is the exact same model, which I picked up recently on ebay. I had this watch back in junior high. I don't remember what happened to it, but I remember thinking it was the best thing ever. The thing I liked the most about it was the curved display. Other calculator watches at the time had flat, angular displays, and this one looked so much more modern. Shortly after I got it for Christmas, I accidentally scratched the face on a wall. It wasn't a bad scratch, but it was bad enough to bother me.

#20 ·
This is not the exact watch I had, but it is the exact same model, which I picked up recently on ebay. I had this watch back in junior high. I don't remember what happened to it, but I remember thinking it was the best thing ever. The thing I liked the most about it was the curved display. Other calculator watches at the time had flat, angular displays, and this one looked so much more modern. Shortly after I got it for Christmas, I accidentally scratched the face on a wall. It wasn't a bad scratch, but it was bad enough to bother me.

I had the same exact one as my first Casio. I remember winning a school contest for selling the most amount of candy, and this was the watch I bought with my winnings. Had that watch for over 10 years, it was beat up pretty bad by the time I went to my first G-Shock. Funny thing was, around the time I got it, James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) was signing things at a local comic book store, he was wearing a gold version of this watch, I kept drawing attention to it lol.

#16 · (Edited)
I had a resin analog diver with two-way rotating bezel. It's so old I can't even find a picture of it on the web. It was quite chunky and had gold accented letterings and a gold accented crown and 3-hand movement and a date.

Used it as a student and started my working life with it. It was almost the size of a G-Shock, but not so thick.

I remember it had pretty good lume.

#33 · (Edited)
My first also had a temperature sensor and world time.

Got it 'round 1982ish, this page has pics of some that are close to it:

Nouvelle page 1

I distinctly remember the little white round sensor in the middle below the display. I'm thinking it probably had the module 215.

Pic from the above page of most likely suspect (Think it was the same case, but black steel band):

Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Clock Fashion accessory

#23 ·
This is the 1st casio I ever owned, not this actual one, but one exactly like it. I bought this one new/oldstock at a Jamesway back in 1992. The original one from 1987-88 was so worn from wearing it to work, I had to trash it. Since 1992 I think it's had one battery change. It always struck me as sort of classy looking for some reason, even tho it was a cheap Casio alarm/chrono. I also wore a f84w alarm/chrono back in 87-88 which one of the band lugs snapped off of and it was trashed. I managed to aquire one the year before last for old time sake on the bay. sorry for out of focus pics, still haven't mastered the photography thing yet.

#24 ·
Reactions: rodia77
#27 ·
This was my first or second and its still running on the orignal battery. The resin is shot.

This analog / digital is over 13 years old. Has gone through a few batteries and straps and keep on ticking. This it the original version. The original has a rounded digital area the remake is more square.
These 2 watches have between 18 and 13 years worth of wear on them. I found this forum looking for a replacement bezel for my DW5700.

Reactions: rodia77
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.