My 4th G arrives! Kinda by accident...

Thread: My 4th G arrives! Kinda by accident...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 4th G arrives! Kinda by accident...

I was on my way home from the Post Office, and my WAR (Watch Acquisition Radar) started pinging as I passed a thrift store where I did some community service years ago (for high school graduation credit, not a misdemeanor offense lol). I parked out front and wandered in.

Typically in thrift stores, I look for belts and other leather goods to turn into straps, so I started with that. A lot of surprisingly expensive stuff, including a pair of Mossimo shoes for $25, which I'm pretty sure is more than Target charges for them new I was tempted to pick up an Armani Exchange belt to turn into straps, just for the logo. But it was $17

As I was wandering around, my WAR pinged again, this time toward the jewelry case, now that there weren't other customers in front of it interfering with my signal. I checked the case, and there were a few watches on the bottom shelf, but ultimately, as usual, they were just nice-looking fashion watches ultimately of little interest. This isn't what I was pinging.

On top of the jewelry counter were a few bags stuffed mostly with cheap women's fashion watches with dead batteries, but out of one of those bags, I saw something staring back at me. I knew I had found what was pinging me:

It's digital display was ticking away defiantly against the horological squalor that surrounded it. 57....58...59.... and when the minute changed, it did a little dance before displaying the new digit.

I had to have it.

I stood around looking as obvious as possible (which I figured would be easy, being the tallest and youngest person in the store) while I waited for the lady to finish a very long-winded conversation with a customer that was either an old or every new friend. Finally it was my turn, and I asked if I had to buy the whole bag or if I could just have one item out of it. Unfortunately, I had to buy the whole bag, but it was $25, so I bought it and brought it home:

The caseback says it's a G-2210, but I can't find this color variant in the G-Shock Archive. It wasn't too dirty and only had a few light dings, but I wanted to start with a fresh canvas to put my own dirt on it, so I took it apart:

It wasn't as grody as I had anticipated, and the glass didn't fog up when I held the module under cold running water I did lose one of the bezel screws down the drain, though >_< Doesn't seem to be any less sturdy without it, though. After re-assembly, I strapped it on:

With the rest of the family:

EL is still very bright:

The rest of the bag was mostly junk, as expected, but I did salvage a couple of nice straps (like that grey cloth one visible in the bag), and a vintage Timex automatic in very good shape that is ticking happily away, 4 times per second
    Last edited by SquishyPanda; September 11th, 2009 at 00:30.

Re: My 4th G arrives! Kinda by accident...

Nice find. Congrats!
    Steve

Great find! I see your collection is growing steadily.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice score. It cleaned up nicely. I don't think these are too common nowadays.

It looks like it's a G-2210-2V from 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    I was on my way home from the Post Office, and my WAR (Watch Acquisition Radar) started pinging
    Now that's what I need.... WAR....

Good story, nice find, and you did a great job of cleaning it up. Looks quite nice!

Now.. I'm off to find out where to get a WAR implant...ha...ha..ha...

Cheers...

Nice pickup!
    Couple of watches here and there

Good and entertaining story. Have fun with the watch! It's always sattisfying to catch a bargain...
    Jurphaas.
    G-Shock, when time counts....

Congratulations on the find.

Be aware that the 2278 module lacks a countdown timer and World Time, but it's no less impressive to me in large part as a mnemonic device.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Congratulations on the find.

Be aware that the 2278 module lacks a countdown timer and World Time, but it's no less impressive to me in large part as a mnemonic device.
    It does have a 2nd time zone, which I usually set to HK time so I know when I can expect stuff to ship . I can't figure out what the 2nd mode is for (it says *DC then displays... some numbers:
    '01
    1- 1
    -31 75
    days

???

The databank has one name in it, Jenny, and 619. So I know she's somewhere in San Diego lol. I'll have to look up the instructions for this one so I can clear that out. I'll probably never use it myself, but no point in keeping someone else's area code in it. It's my watch now :D

good writing and photos. that cloth strap you mention jumped out at me, too. do you have any pictures to share of leather straps you've made from thrift finds?

great g- very much of its time and soon enough to be retro.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information