My 5500 brown camo review

Thread: My 5500 brown camo review

Smile My 5500 brown camo review

I have all the while been intrigued by the classic design of the 5500 series. Would love to get the iconic black case with red buttons G-5500-1JF but its not available in Singapore We only have the Jamming Colors camo series and Rastafarian locally.

The G-5500MC-5JF is probably the only one that I'll probably purchase as a substitute. Sjor's great pictures of it pretty much affirmed my decision, together with the much lower revised price of the Jamming Color series (seems like its unpopular here) I would feel guilty not to give this one a new home!

Some fellow forumers recommended the 5500 for the smaller wrists. This big flat G-5500 sits on my small wrist better than my 6600 on original straps, with much less gaps at the lugs.

Buttons are way harder to press than my 6600 or 2300, definitely not good when you want to time precisely using the stopwatch as you have to squish through that rubber mass before reaching the 'buttons' The ability to silence the watch is a good feature as I don't really like the beeps when I want to use the functions discreetly.

I would rate the module as below average. 59'99 min stopwatch and 60min timer are way too short for me.
    World Time function in this module is a failure compared to the 2300. Everything is preset and doesn't seem to be adjustable whereas in the 2300 existing timezones are adjustable to the seconds and there are even blank slots for you to set additional timezones. The 5500 also lacks a delicated GMT/UTC timezone until i realise London and Lisbon is at +0.00 which is essentially the same as GMT/UTC. No home time display on all modes although it doesn't matter to me at all.

Having owned a 2300 with such a splendid module I naturally had set the bar high and thus making me so anal about rating this 5500 Despite these few critical shortfalls, its still too good looking to be despised!

now a picture speaks a thousand words...........

*note this is the right hand orientation, thus the display looks a little less crisp than usual
    Last edited by chromehead; September 11th, 2008 at 06:52.

Re: My 5500 brown camo review

it sure does is bigger than the 5600. the reason the button is hard because it suppose to be mud resistant. this G5500 is a predecessor of the DW-5500C which is the original mudman. thanks to Sjors for the lesson. i got one in white and luv it much

"My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Nice review, Chromehead!

Just about an hour ago, I was watching the History Channel, and saw a U.S. Army Soldier serving over in Afghanistan wearing this very same watch. It blended well with his issued digital camo fatigues...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good one dude ! Nice buy
    I have got Green 5500 (G5500C-3) , it fits really well in my wrist.

Nice camo 5500! This design has always intrigued me. I had the yellow version earlier this year.

Congrats!

3D at bencoolen is selling this camo series at an unbelievable SGD68!

pity they don't have the gray camo inversed display version any more....

Is the G-5500-1JF hard to find or not available in Singapore? What's the diff between that & the camo version?

Thanks guys for reading! I was afraid i would offend g-5500 lovers with my too frank review. Still I love this new G alot

siLence79 : G-5500-1JF looks strikingly charming to me in that retro black with red buttons combo even before i learned it was based on the DW-5500 model. G-5500-1JF functions the same with all those Jamming Color series with differences in color scheme and LCD displays.

reznor : That latest price of SGD$68 was exactly the trigger for me to get it The last price I could remember for it was SGD$110 which is also the current price for the black Rastafarian 5500. The basic DW-5600 was going for a raised price of $62 vs $68 for G-5500, my choice is rather easy here

ultramanpat : Your yellow caterpillar 5500 is sweet too! and congrats to your Eric Haze 5600! Knew that watch won't sit in the shop for long

sameerb : The good fit from such a large and wide watch was kind of surprising yea..

Schuey2002 : Think it would be awesome if they release some future Gs in digital camo

mansrow : heh i actually tried filling the recess between the bezel and crystal with water and it held the fluid pretty well. Tried on 6600's recess the water just leaked through lol. That says much about 5500's sealing -----TIGHT

Thread Information