My 5600/5000 collection completed - at least for now ;-)

Thread: My 5600/5000 collection completed - at least for now ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My 5600/5000 collection completed - at least for now ;-)

Hi,
    so today I had the pleasure to fetch my DW-5600MS from the post office which kind of puts a stop to my "5600 buying spree" over the last few weeks/months which included the following:
    GWX-5600B-7
    GW-M5600A-3
    GLS-5600L-1
    DW-5600MS-1
    I wanted a little variety in the modules and functions and also design-wise. So I think it's time to present the current state of my 5600s. Let's begin with the newest addition - the DW-5600MS (edit: please ignore the incorrect date - I just noticed I forgot to set it correctly - I only set the time when I got it not taking into account the time-zone change from Hong-Kong to Germany):

the strap:

the PVD buttons:

some group shots (the DW-5600WC "FIFA" is missing - looks like my wife lost it):

and a little more detail:

DW-5000SL and DW-5600MS:

The negative displays together:

I'd say the MS is the best, followed by GLS and then GWX.

Black and white:

That's it for now. It was kind of fun to order that many different versions of basically the same model - it give you a new look everyday while maintaining the same "feeling" while wearing them. Most of them are also very different considering the features. I'm lucky I still got the "old version" of the MS with the normal buttons (since there already are "Made in China" DW-6900MS I think the DW-5600MS will be next). I assume that the new ones will also have the IMO stupid design change made on the GWX-5600 which makes the buttons only useable by using my fingernails - this makes an easy-to-use model almost unuseable. I wonder what Casio was thinking. So should I feel the need to get some more 5600/5000 I's start looking for the older versions - preferrably "Made in Thailand" or with "Japan" on the back - not that I think the quality of the newer "Made in China" versions ain't good - it's just the stupid decision to make the shafts of the buttons shorter. But for now I'm all good anyway. Currently wearing the new MS of course. I have to say the oldie but goldie 1545 kind if grew on me - didn't like it much when I got my first one but now it's one of my personal favourites. So the "Spike Lee" and MS will probably get the most wrist-time in the next few days...but wait - tomorrow my DB-37 will probably arrive .

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; January 4th, 2011 at 00:08.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: My 5600/5000 collection completed - at least for now ;-)

Very nice collection but... BAD WIFE for losing the 5600WC.
    Peace
    Last edited by kurzjak; January 4th, 2011 at 01:22. Reason: no reason
    Have a great day!

So - initial post updated with all the pics.
    about the "WC" (I wrote "C" but it has to be "WC" of course for "World Cup") - it's not that bad, you can still get those fairly easily on ebay Germany. The old one was kind of ruined anyway 'cause I had to dye the bezel after it got stained with color from a rug I took out of the washing machine. That's the reason in the first place I let her have it. Might have to get me another one.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice!

Thanks for the pics! A good selection there to choose from each morning. I like the purple GLS best - how are the buttons on that one?
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Thanks!

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I like the purple GLS best - how are the buttons on that one?
    Not as good as on the "SL" or "MS" but better than on the GWX. The GLS and GWM share the same case - so do the GWX, MS and DW-5600E. However the button design got changed somewhere along the line between DW-5600E and GWX, new DW-5600E (Made in China). The buttons on the GLS and GWM can still be operated with a thumb or pad of your finger - the GWX cannot.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thanks for that. It's so weird how Casio can downgrade certain features for no apparent reason. It's not as if you can pay more to get better buttons in the series.

My own gripe continues to be the way that the LCD contrast on something like the PAG-40, which is a duplex yet still the best digital display I've ever seen..... but the technology has been discarded in all subsequent Protreks and has never been bettered. We want progress in buttons and contrast! We know you can do it, Casio design geeks!
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    Thanks for that. It's so weird how Casio can downgrade certain features for no apparent reason.
    I also don't understand that. It already began with the change between DW-5000C/5600C. On those the buttons were centered in the crevices. Then they were off-center on the DW-5600E while finally not only being off-center but also shorter on the GWX and new DW-5600E. I can understand the change between "C" and "E" - it was probably to make modules interchangeable between more models - so the position of the buttons was changed (same ist true for the change from DW-6900 to GW-6900). But why make them shorter?

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Wow nice collection. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information