My Biggest Ever Box from Japan
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My Biggest Ever Box from Japan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Biggest Ever Box from Japan

I had something to cheer me up arrive this morning as I'm off work ill today with a dodgy tummy. I wasn't expecting anything to arrive until the end of the week, due to the parcel being posted late last week and also the last 6 or 7 EMS shipments have fell foul of the UK Customs team. After answering the door to the loudest postman's knock I've ever heard, I quickly ripped into the cardboard box. There were just two boxes inside of it, the bigger of the two is the subject of this post. The picture below will give the game away straight away as to what is inside of it, but hopefully it will be something that lots of you haven't seen before;

Name:  DSC_0395.JPG
Views: 759
Size:  457.0 KB

Inside that box, were two more...

Name:  DSC_0398.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  602.3 KB

And the contents of both of those...

Name:  DSC_0399.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  662.7 KB

So, that's three brand new France 98 G-Shocks (a blue jelly screw-back DW-9600, a red jelly DW-9550 and a white DW-004) all untouched and with tags and a wooden presentation display case. When I won this auction on Yahoo Japan I knew that it came with a presentation box but I didn't know it was wooden. I now realise why the postage on this package was £45!

Here's better pictures of the watches and box...

Name:  DSC_0403.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  680.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0413.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  615.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0404.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  580.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0405.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  661.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0406.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  561.6 KB

So, two out of three needed a battery change and the most surprising aspect being that the DW-9600 didn't need one. there's no evidence that the screw-back has been removed either; so could that be a 14 year old battery still going strong (well, I could test this by pressing the EL but I'm not that desperate to find out). As I needed to replace the batteries I took the straps off of them all (9600 too for good measure and a photo)...

Name:  DSC_0423.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  706.2 KB

Both watches that required a change were pretty easy to get into; the DW-004 just being more work due to the outer case having more screws. They both had the little rubber back protectors on too that needed taking off...

Name:  DSC_0427.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  564.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0435.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  615.4 KB

Sadly I've got to leave it there for now as it's time to pick the kids up from school, I've got some more pics of the battery change and then the results in the case to add later.

Well, after an interesting evening in Accident and Emergency (my son sprained his ankle playing cricket at school) I'm back to put the last few paragraphs and pictures up. So, the backs are off of both and if you hadn't already guessed it, both watches use the same module (1647). Everything was pretty easy when replacing the batteries except that the spring for the sound is right underneath and slightly to the side of where the battery slides in and out. I had to slide them to right a little to avoid the spring.

Name:  DSC_0429.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  676.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0437.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  660.4 KB

After greasing each gasket and performing an AC reset on both, they were working great. Next to see how they look in the presentation box. I really like this box; it's solidly built with clips at the rear holding the back on. The metal plates on the front are a nice touch, especially the bottom one that shows the groupings for the first round (league stage) of the 1998 World Cup. Here are the final four photo's, the group shot and close ups of the now working watches.

Name:  DSC_0448.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  659.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0441.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  613.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0442.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  560.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0447.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  625.6 KB
    Last edited by psweeting; May 14th, 2012 at 21:28.

Re: My Biggest Ever Box from Japan

Really love the 98 blue jelly with screwback case.

Won't be surprised if that starts going for big money in a few years...

No better medicine for a broken/ill anything than new G's!!! Congrats and wear them in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Post finished at 20:29.

Hi Psweting,

What a cool set. Congratulations. I love the French flag in the presentation box. I guess you are ready for the European Championship next month.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the pics

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Wow... how's the flipping working out? I see you sell quite a lot of these Japanese market watches up on eBay.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Wow... how's the flipping working out? I see you sell quite a lot of these Japanese market watches up on eBay.
    Yeah, I'm a chronic flipper. That's partially how I've managed to get the amount of G-Shocks that I have. The other ingredient being a lack of self control on Yahoo Japan.

The only way I can get those watches from Japan is to have some funds in my Paypal account. I find more of a thrill in actually tracking them down and getting my hands on them than keeping them boxed away indefinitely.

In a way I feel pretty happy in not having too many that I couldn't part with at some point.

that's a awesome set in NOS condition. nice!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

I didn't realize there was a FIFA world cup 9600... I thought there were only WCCS 9600s. Very cool. It is the best of the bunch by far. Full titanium case, screwback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information