My DW-6600B restoration... back to original look
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: My DW-6600B restoration... back to original look

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture My DW-6600B restoration... back to original look

I just received a pair of DW-6600B two days ago one is already restored, ready to be worn I wanted this model for a long time, just love the orange details and the strap writing and look and I had to ''hurry'' so I can wear it.

These two are now my 4th 6600 model... I had yellow 6630B, but it was too yellow for me and now it's with new (female) owner in UK getting wrist time it deserves

This was the original condition, one has more faded LCD (it will probably get polarizing filter swap in near future) and it seems like it was used for a while without bezel on it, since plastic case has some scratches on it.

Few photos for the vintage/restoration fans and for people who will be looking how to restore 6600B on google search

Both were cleaned and I soaked the spring bars in WD-40 to remove some rust, now they are like new. Strap on one is a bit more faded and stiff, but one is still very usable.

I put a 6600-1v bezel on the better one and by surprise I found a new strap for this model in a near watch store, they had 1 in stock for a long long time, nobody bought it.

Here I stealthed the bezel, removed the red color on bezel to make space for orange

Time to paint bezel... doing it first time, I read some posts and topics about it and thanks to @discodave for some usefull tips

This is enamel paint, used for painting model cars, planes, trains etc. Best to use for this kind of job, so I've read.

I used small paint brush, put a small drop of paint into the letter and then simply wiped it with my finger. It was really easy... the paint stayed in the letter and the excess came off easily. Much easier then I though

Old rag, soaked in nail polish removed, easy to remove excess

Here is almost finished...

Toothpick with some paint on it to correct the small errors

Job done... paint is still glossy when wet, but gets matte when dry

Final product

Compared to original look

Caseback has few scratches and dents, removing of them will come a bit later, they don't bother me as much Luckly crystal is very clean, just few tiny swirls

Last edited by Crater; April 18th, 2014 at 21:46.

Re: My DW-6600B restoration... back to original look

Great job, I restored one of these a few months ago. I was also surprised I could find the band. I ordered it from PacParts and it arrived from Japan in a few weeks. I also painted my bezel letters though because the original bezels were unavailable. I also had to replace the LCD because the original was faded. It was also available from PacParts.

Crater, nigelw, Ottovonn and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Great job, I restored one of these a few months ago. I was also surprised I could find the band. I ordered it from PacParts and it arrived from Japan in a few weeks. I also painted my bezel letters though because the original bezels were unavailable. I also had to replace the LCD because the original was faded. It was also available from PacParts.
    Looks great, these are defenetly worth restoring Pacparts is just an amazing source you have there, I saw the parts there, but when I saw the $75 DHL shipping to Europe, I changed my mind

A lot of these 6600Bs are heavily used and beat up, seems like people back then didn't care much for their rareness like we do today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great work, as usual. To you both.
    Crater likes this.

Looks great Crater. Thanks for posting the pics and details on the restoration. Amazing that you found a new strap locally.
    Crater likes this.
    Greg

That is so awesome. You do good work. Congrats and thanks for sharing your project with us. Very cool.
    Crater likes this.

Very nice there Crater, you are very lucky to find two prime candidates for restoration ;) !

Cant believe you managed to find a NOS band!
    So happy that people like you are interested in these old models and have the time money and patience to restore them!
    The bezel repaint is very pro, very crisp.
    Is the other caseback in better condition, could you swap it over?
    Crater likes this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Thanks idkfa and GDub, much appriciated

@greg1491, it was really a surprise. That shop sells Casio watches and somehow they had this strap in stock for a long time. Very lucky indeed

@Davidro, Yes lol, very luckly to find those two I looked and the strap for this model is either still in production or Casio has large stock of them, because you can order new strap from a Casio dealer, while it says for the bezel that it's discontinued.

I'm also surprised how the bezel painting turned out, much better then expected. The caseback on the other one is basically the same condition, few deeper scratches and some minor ones. Both will be rebrushed a bit later on.

super job nik, it came out awesome!!...........I wanted this model also, and finally found an NOS last year on ebay. I also have 4 of these 6600's, they have a nice big screen and the light on these is very bright

mine saying hello

Last edited by Vade_R; April 19th, 2014 at 10:16.

Nice, looks amazing Very nice you managed to find a NOS one, I was looking at eBay for a while and no luck, just recently got the chance to get these two.

I noticed you are 6600 fan, I also really like this model. I think this 6600B is my favourite of them all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information