my first digital watch - casio g-5600a-7
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: my first digital watch - casio g-5600a-7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my first digital watch - casio g-5600a-7

I'm not much of a digital watch person... I definitely prefer the overall aesthetic and versatility of an analog, especially a nice dress watch or diver-style. But over the past couple weeks I realized that even my diver-style watches aren't necessarily watches I want to take waterskiing or doing other vigorous, high-impact kinds of activities... they're just too heavy, too clunky, too easy to damage (superficially or otherwise), not to mention their ability to damage me if any part of the steel bands or cases were to be compromised. So to put my fears at ease I decided to take the plunge into the world of the digital watch... and where else would I turn but the venerable Casio G-Shock?

I did a bit of looking around and found I preferred the retro style of the 5600. Plus I am a small-wristed guy and, as I understand it, the 5600-style watches are slightly smaller and lower-profile than some of the other models with more modern styling.

I didn't want to go with the classic black, though. A bit too boring... I may be a hardcore nerd, I'm also a nerd with a bit of sartorial sophistication I finally decided that white would be a nice compromise between the conservative black and the wacky teals and yellows that also caught my eye. The white is interesting and different, but still relatively conservative and versatile.

I came across the G-5600A-7 on Amazon. Even though Amazon describes it as a women's watch, I figured most G-Shocks are more or less unisex. This particular model had the features I wanted (200m WR, "tough solar" rechargeability, etc) and not the ones I didn't (tide-related stuff for surfers, atomic accuracy). So I pulled the trigger and I just got the watch in the mail today.

It's everything I wanted out of a digital watch... lightweight, comfortable to wear, easy to read. It's packed with the usual G-Shock features and functionality but doesn't look like I'm wearing a small computer on my wrist - just the kind of geek chic style I was looking for. There is something about actually reading the numbers of the time that makes me slightly uncomfortable. Something about actually reading the time vs. perceiving it on an analog watch. I'll probably get over that soon enough.

To my surprise, the controls and settings were a lot more intuitive and understandable than I had feared. The one thing that puzzles me is why the Set[+] is below the Set[-]. That's not particularly intuitive to me, but oh well. Another thing that surprised me was that the watch was set correctly as is. All I had to do was change the time zone and the daylight savings adjustment. I tested it against the U.S. online atomic clock and it's accurate to within a second. Not too shabby.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my first foray into the world of G-Shock. I don't imagine myself getting any more digitals anytime soon, but I'm still pretty pleased with this most recent addition to my little herd of watches.

Rocky555, l_cypher and ericng79 like this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Re: my first digital watch - casio g-5600a-7

Very nice pick up. Congrats on your first G and wear it in good health. I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it. But, don't rule it out that it'll be your last digital. Stick your head in here often enough and you'll have a dozen more in no time!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice watch man. I like the white. I really like the classic look of the 5600. My Blackie say hi:

Congrats,

I'm looking into one myself.
    Still deciding which 5600 series is right for me.

Congratulations on your first digital watch. Man, that is an awesome watch for your first digital. It looks amazing.

Great active summer watch. It did your collection good ; )

Nice choice. Congrats I sure this will the 1st of many more to come. You just can't have just 1 G!!!
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

I have similar watch, love the white colour, it is especially nice to wear now in summertime, and on the beach. Enjoy your G

Good choice...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information