My first encounter with a watch snob jerk...
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: My first encounter with a watch snob jerk...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My first encounter with a watch snob jerk...

I've read about them but I've never actually encountered a "watch snob". Honestly, I thought they are so outside my orbit that I never would. I'm a working class guy and the few times watch talk has come up at work it's been "normal". The one and only time a watch conversation ever came up with someone outside my economic orbit (with one of the nicest guys in the business, BTW) was regarding a $300.00 watch that he was genuinely enamoured of; he had turned another crew member on to it and thought I might like it as well. This is a guy who makes $20,000,000+ a year.

So I met this guy at work who, when discussing the cheap but fun watches people like to wear to work, felt the need to go to the effort of breaking out the smartphone mid-conversation to pull up the manufacturer's website (obviously tuning out the rest of what I was talking about in order to concentrate on how he was going to reply) and show me a picture of the watch he owns that he "would never wear to work". That would be an $8000.00 watch that starts with the letter "B". Seriously? He clearly missed the "fun watches people like to wear to work" part of the conversation. On purpose, apparently because...

Unfortunately, it didn't stop there.

He went on to make an impression by bringing up the subject of his custom ordered Jeep, his custom made patio furniture, and his former entrepreneurial prowess at his father's plumbing company.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; September 26th, 2017 at 05:36.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Re: My first encounter with a watch snob jerk...

He's not a watch snob... just a general knob...

He has obviously upset you quite a bit Mick, are you ok?
    Triton9 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd give the guy a pass. Yeah he was maybe a little disrespectful but not a lot of people are familiar with watches and their history or significance of brand names or models.
    Last edited by Piston Honda; September 26th, 2017 at 06:13.
    m1ckDELTA and Triton9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    He has obviously upset you quite a bit Mick, are you ok?
    Wow. Already? What is it about my posts? I know it's not me because you've never met me. So, what is it?
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Quote Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
    I'd give the guy a pass. Yeah he was maybe a little disrespectful but not a lot of people are familiar with watches and their history or significance of brand names or models.
    I understand your point, and his tone was definitely disrespectful, but who goes to such lengths to make such a comparison between cheap Japanese watches and top of the line Swiss ones other than a "watch snob"?
    Piston Honda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    I understand your point, and his tone was definitely disrespectful, but who goes to such lengths to make such a comparison between cheap Japanese watches and top of the line Swiss ones other than a "watch snob"?
    People who don't know. Not that we're better but we're a minority who know about brands. And granted, some people have no discretion but that's because they don't know. To them Breitling, Rolex and Omega are tops.

I only become a snob when people at work show off their 100mm Invicta wrist clocks and brag about overpaying for them.

read the second post here, his knobness seems to far extend beyond just watches.

you shouldve stirred him more, ask him how often it needs servicing, what do those services cost and how accurate it is then play dumb and ask shouldnt he expect more from such an expensive watch ;) or even better just ask what does it do other than tell the time or just start talking about smart watches haha
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Wow. Already? What is it about my posts? I know it's not me because you've never met me. So, what is it?
    I'm legitimately asking you if you are ok Mick?, as you sounded a bit rattled by the whole ordeal.

Cheers

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information