My first G-7510
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My first G-7510

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LUW

Thumbs Up My first G-7510

First of all, a BIG thanks to Sedi for suggesting this watch ! I wanted a big digit digital that showed current time in SW mode, and he sagely suggested the G-7510 (mine is version G-7510-2DVR). This was the watch that took f-o-r-e-v-e-v-e-r to arrive, to the point I opened a dispute with eBay (I started a thread about this some time ago). But when the time was almost up for me to escalate to a claim (three days before the deadline, in fact), just like magic, it arrived. Despite taking so long it arrived here last week safe and sound.

As always, a new watch means bike ride (), and the weather today, after two weeks of a miserable mixture of cold and rain with just a few hours of sunshine, was beautiful. And that's exactly why I wanted it: a watch with big digits that displayed current time in SW mode that I could easily read at a glance without having to take my hand from the handlebar. But here's the catch: the 2943 module does not display current time in SW mode, so how do I do it ? The beauty of the 2943 is that if you use the CT and set it to just 1 minute, when it gets to zero it becomes a SW (shows just minutes and seconds, though), and the CT does show current time .

The 7510 is a bit different on the wrist then most Gs, because of the tonneau case instead of the habitual & regular round case. The case has 55 mm × 48 mm × 17 mm (H×W×thickness). Since the case is longer then wide, it's comfortable to wear, because it has a lot of contact surface with your wrist, but does not wear big like say a 9300 Mudman with it's 53 mm of diameter. It's an interesting feeling, something totally new to me, since I'm used to more symmetrical cases. It's also light enough, with just 70 g - good to go along on a ride.
    This is my sixth Thailand Y model, and the second that fogs up . No biggie, it's easy to resolve, but still... The 7510 has a nifty "telememo" function where you can store quite a few numbers. For airheads like me, that sometimes forget my own home phone number (speed dial's fault! ), it's a pretty nice feature.

The foggy blue G-7510.

But maybe what most people remember the 7510 for is the vibration function: you can have it beep or vibrate when alarms or the hourly signal goes off. Though the idea is pretty cool and I was really curious to have a vibrating watch, I can't say I'm very impressed. Yeah, it's nice to have a silent alarm, but in all honesty it doesn't vibrate enough to be more of an attention grabber to me then the beeps. If I'm kind of expecting that the alarm is about to go off I'll feel the vibration, but if not, it's not "as loud" as the beeping. I haven't tested it, but I really doubt it would wake me, while I have more confidence on beeping to get the job done (and yes, I do wake up with the alarm from a G, as long as the watch is close to my head).

This is how the CT looks after it got to zero and starts counting up.

Except for the foggying, I loved the watch ! I haven't opened it up to dry yet because I wanted to show the world, but this week I'll fix that. The other thing is that I'm kind of thinking that it will look better in black instead of blue . I've already found online some suitable black clothes, so maybe in the near future I'll change it into a 1DVR and keep the blue resin as a back-up. Other then that it was a great buy, and totally worth the gignormus time of waiting. Now I can understand why Sedi likes these watches so much .
    Last edited by LUW; June 27th, 2012 at 02:45. Reason: Corrected the title
    xevious likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: My first G-Lide: G-7510

Congrats on the new arrival Luciano!
    Glad you like it! The vibration does wake me, but only when I get sufficient sleep - it won't wake me after 4 hrs. And I think much depends on how tight you wear it - if you're "in between holes" and wear it losely it won't work but I can wear it pretty snug without being uncomfortable so I do feel the vibration fairly well. Enjoy it!

cheers, Sedi
    iamsupersam likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Congrats on your G-7510, Luciano. It's a very fine watch, one of the better G-Shocks that has sort of slipped into the background these days. Incidentally this isn't a G-Lide model, although it is a very close cousin. The G-Lide variation (GL-7500) has tide and moon graph in place of the telememo function.

I've also found that the vibration alert is not very strong, but I find it enough to catch my attention when I'm awake. It does not wake me from sleep though (I'm a sound sleeper). Despite being a rather tall watch, it sits comfortably on the wrist. The CDT is rather unusual, with periodic timer alerts (at the top of each minute, at 30 seconds in the last minute, for each second in the last 10 seconds, then final alert at zero). It would be great to have an option to switch it out for a conventional alert (long series of beeps at zero, instead of just one). Anyway, that conversion to STW mode is useful and the display of the current time a nice bonus.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Congrats! I've never seen that before, I like it.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

LUW

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    And I think much depends on how tight you wear it - if you're "in between holes" and wear it losely it won't work but I can wear it pretty snug without being uncomfortable so I do feel the vibration fairly well.
    I was thinking if that would work, have to try it .

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Incidentally this isn't a G-Lide model, although it is a very close cousin.
    Darn ! I mixed them up, hope a mod could fix the thread's title.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I think you can change it yourself when hitting "edit" and then "advanced". What should be the new title?

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

LUW

Thanks, with "advanced options" I was able to fix it .

And now I see I forgot to mention one point that I find quite important: the EL. Of all my Gs, except for my light-bulbed DW5600, this is the only G I have with what I would consider a "weak" back light. Is that a model characteristic or maybe mine is just a fluke or a case of weak battery ?
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Would have to check on my GL-7500s when I get home. I don't remember it to be weaker than others.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

LUW

Mine is definitively weaker, to the point of even my 5yo noticing. I would appreciate if you could check yours .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information