My first G-Shock (and a good bye to Pathfinder)

Thread: My first G-Shock (and a good bye to Pathfinder)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first G-Shock (and a good bye to Pathfinder)

Greetings fellow Casio enthusiasts,

I've been wearing Casio watches for many years now, beginning with the now ancient PRT-40, over to a PRG-40 and a PRW-1300, and a couple others that I no longer remember

However, recently I came to the conclusion that I really don't use any of the Pathfinder features, and here is why:

The Barometer: I have no idea what I could possible use this for.

The Altimeter: Calculated by the barometer data, 5m scale, useless for extended trips or during weather changes.

The Thermometer: Measures the temperature of your wrist just fine. Too bad this temperature has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual temperature in your environment. Removing the watch and let it adjust for 30 minutes? I don't think so...

The Compass: Works, ok I guess. Never needed it tho.

The only things I actually do use my watch for were the multiple daily alarms, the countdown timer and the stopwatch. Well, I can get that for a lot less money with any recent G-Shock

So when I decided I needed a new "tough" watch for work, I went ahead and ordered myself my very first G-Shock: A Mudman G-9000-1VER, the version without "Tough Solar".

Quite a bargain at ~$100 with shipping, compared to the $300 to $500 Pathfinder monsters.

I really don't think that I will ever buy another Pathfinder/Protrek again.

Re: My first G-Shock (and a good bye to Pathfinder)

Congratulations on your first G-Shock.The Mudman's a great choice for it too. Basic but tough as nails, can't beat it. Enjoy...

Welcome to the world of G-Shocks.

I've never owned a Pathfinder and your post leads me to believe I'm happier staying with G-Shocks. I've found the barometer graph on the GW-9200 Riseman nifty enough, and I don't really want anything more than that in a watch. But it's really up to your personal taste. It's good to find what you like.

You can't really go wrong with the G-9000 Mudman. I hope you enjoy it.

With all that money you saved you should reward yourself with a Gulfman or something.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

not sure if your choice was a good one. if one doesn't need the ABC functions of a pathfinder - fine. you can ignore them or choose another watch like you did. the problem I have with the mudman is, that the buttons are way to stiff to be comfortable for a daily use watch. I'd rather would live with a pathfinder, soft buttons and functions not used, than to be angry about the hard buttons every time I need to push them...

the module of the non-atomic mudman however is on hell of a great one, but you would also find it in the G-800BD-1V (one of my very best G's, I think)...

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    With all that money you saved you should reward yourself with a Gulfman or something.
    Of all the different G-Shocks out there I like the look of the Mudman and Gulfman the most

If I'm ever going to buy a Gulfman, it probably will be a MIRO!

The truth is, most people probably don't need the ABC functions of a Pathfinder/Protrek, unless you're someone who does a lot of field oriented work and would prefer to use a portable measuring device like a Pathy when you don't need super accurate data.

Most people probably buy them purely because they're interested in changes in the weather etc. I can think of many obvious reasons why this feature would be extremely useful.

As for accuracy, there appears to be quite a range depending on the model you have. PRG/PAG-80's are known to be quite accurate and well temperature buffered (do a search here). Anyone using the ABC function regularly will probably also be recalibrating the the watch for the circumstances, so it's not really some kind of painful chore.

The temp guage of Casios I find to be very accurate off wrist and I have used them in this way often when I needed to know the temp. To suggest it's useless is meaningless. It works like a compact weatherproof thermometer...there are many potential uses for such a device. And usually 15-20 minutes is enough time off wrist to get a stable reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    not sure if your choice was a good one. if one doesn't need the ABC functions of a pathfinder - fine. you can ignore them or choose another watch like you did.
    The problem here is the pricetag of the Pathfinder vs. the (non-atomic) G-Shocks. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

the problem I have with the mudman is, that the buttons are way to stiff to be comfortable for a daily use watch. I'd rather would live with a pathfinder, soft buttons and functions not used, than to be angry about the hard buttons every time I need to push them...

the module of the non-atomic mudman however is on hell of a great one, but you would also find it in the G-800BD-1V (one of my very best G's, I think)...

regards, holger
    I wasn't aware of the button problem you describe. I've ordered the watch online and it has yet to arrive :oops:

Thank you for suggesting the G-800BD-1V, it certainly looks interesting

Quote Originally Posted by coredump00 View Post
    Of all the different G-Shocks out there I like the look of the Mudman and Gulfman the most

the Orange is cool but have you looked at the ICERC Gulfman or the new Men In Ice White.

Im waiting on the Ocean Grey Gulfman my first atomic Gulfie should be here by tuesday.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

The problem here is the pricetag of the Pathfinder vs. the (non-atomic) G-Shocks. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

I wasn't aware of the button problem you describe. I've ordered the watch online and it has yet to arrive :oops:

Thank you for suggesting the G-800BD-1V, it certainly looks interesting

The mudman buttons are very stiff and not for everybody. I have got used to it and love the dual stop watch feature the gulfman is almost the mudmans twin in size it has more crystal protection, the tide graph / moon phase, but the big advantage is the large easy to push buttons on the gulfman. I have both and like the Gulfie more

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    the problem I have with the mudman is, that the buttons are way to stiff to be comfortable for a daily use watch.
    There's an easy fix to loosen up these notoriously stiff buttons. Just remove the bezel and let it soak in nearly boiling water for a few minutes. That will loosen 'em up real nice. There's been a few forum posts going over the details of this solution. I've gotten the benefit of this as a side result of dyeing a few Mudman parts. Gs are great, but I don't think any is 100% perfect out of the box.

I'm a big fan of all the Gulfman models. The MIRO looks great, but be prepared for the super bright and glossy orange parts. It's too much for some. It should be a great collectible though if don't end up wearing it much (if that's your thing). The regular black and blue models are really great deals too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information