My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

Thread: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88

    My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Hi everyone. Im new to the G-Shock world, and I'm not familiar with the many different models out there. Im more into dressier analog watches, but have decided to buy a G-Shock to follow me on my weekend trekking and other outdoor activities.

    Considering that I want the G-Shock as a "functional watch" for my trekking and outdoor activities, altimeter/temperature/compass are functions that I'd really like the watch to have.

    Having a wrist a bit on the small size, the smaller I can get, the better.

    Being also a diver, 200m would be desirable (not obligatory though).

    Doing my research on the Internet, I came accross the Pathfinder PAW1300-1V model, which really caught my eye as being very nice-looking, has all the functions I wanted with the plus of being Solar-powered, quite thin compared to the regular G, not too big diameter, and retailing for about $160 with the resin band, which is a very acceptable price for me.

    My question would be what do you guys think of this model? Are there other models that might attract me? Is there anything I'm overlooking on other Pathfinder models?

    Thanks a lot for your help!

  2. #2
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    I think your research has taken you in just the right direction.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  3. #3
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post
    Hi everyone. Im new to the G-Shock world, and I'm not familiar with the many different models out there. Im more into dressier analog watches, but have decided to buy a G-Shock to follow me on my weekend trekking and other outdoor activities.

    Considering that I want the G-Shock as a "functional watch" for my trekking and outdoor activities, altimeter/temperature/compass are functions that I'd really like the watch to have.

    Having a wrist a bit on the small size, the smaller I can get, the better.

    Being also a diver, 200m would be desirable (not obligatory though).
    well, looks like the GW-9200 riseman is the perfect choice for you, and pretty much the only one if you are looking for a g-shock with the functions you just mentioned. it doesn't have a compass though (no current G does), but you can always put a small wrist compass on the strap which is in my opinion the better solution anyway.

    Doing my research on the Internet, I came accross the Pathfinder PAW1300-1V model, which really caught my eye as being very nice-looking, has all the functions I wanted with the plus of being Solar-powered, quite thin compared to the regular G, not too big diameter, and retailing for about $160 with the resin band, which is a very acceptable price for me.

    My question would be what do you guys think of this model? Are there other models that might attract me? Is there anything I'm overlooking on other Pathfinder models?

    Thanks a lot for your help!
    the PAW-1300 is flat but still pretty big in diameter. my experience with the PAW-1300 is rather disapointing. I had three of them and all had the worst altimeter drifts I have ever encountered on any protrek/pathfinder. not sure if casio solved that problem now, but after three attempts I gave up. also the resin strap is rather uncomfortable to wear (goes for other protrek models as well), so I highly recommend to go with a bracelet model instead or - if possible - convert to a nylon strap (a maratca zulu is my favourit in that matter).

    there are lots of different pathfinder models out there, but since you are looking for something smaller the PAW-500 might be most interesting for you, but like the GW-9200 this one also has no compass. personally I own a SGW-100 that has a compass and a thermometer but no altimeter and barometer. I din't buy that watch for those functions anyway but only for the purpose of a big, uncluttered display that shows me time, day and date in the main menue and current time in all other modes.

    most pathfinder models have a 100meter WR rating, but I wouldn't hesitate to bo take them to a dive because 100meters means 100 meters and usually 99.99% of all divers never go that deep. the SGW-100 is one of the very few that is 200m rated and I believe the only other one with 200m is the PAW-1500.


    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    LUW
    LUW is offline
    Member LUW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    I have a PRG-130T (same watch as the PAW-1500, but is not atomic) with a Ti bracelet. It's very light and comfortable to wear, being a very thin watch for a Pathfinder. However it's BIG in diameter, my biggest watch so far.


    Right now it's my current "adventure watch", being tough, good enough WR (unless you are a professional diver you do NOT need anything more then 10 bar), very readable and has the ABC functions. The ABC functions are not 100% accurate, and I don't think you can ever have 100% accuracy on any watch, but good enough to use if you plan on navigating with the watch. While trekking I did that in a number of times and the functions were good enough to get me home. However all the functions on the watch, with exception of the altimeter/barometer, I only rely on as a back-up to a good compass and even a GPS unit.

    I would say it's a VERY solid watch, but it has two flaws. The light button is in a bad place, right next to the adjust button, making it easy to hit by mistake at night. The other problem is the compass bezel. While the compass is pretty good, the bezel is absurdly loose, my jacket sleeve will rotate the bezel. Of course you can use the compass in an emergency - the compass per se works fine - but the loose bezel is a problem if you wanna lock your heading. And of course the light button is a PITA, specially if you want the watch to work as, well, like a digital quartz watch at night.

    Because of those two issues I'm getting a new ABC watch, and right now I'm leaning towards a Suunto Core. Definitively not as tough as a ProTrek and not solar powered, but is a very competent ABC watch. From what the guys said on the ABC Forum, the new PRG-240 has a better module then my PRG-130T but it also has the loose bezel, so it's out for me. If you want a G, I think your only option is the Riseman (GW-9200). It's a GREAT watch, all the advantages of being a G and with AB functions, so you will need a compass. On my Mudman I use one of those little band compasses, and while it's better then no compass, the thing sucks badly. And one last thing; keep in mind that on all AB or ABC watches the thermometer is basically useless unless you don't wear your watch (silly for a wrist watch).
    Cheers!
    Luciano

  6. #5
    Member ccm123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    9,556

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    I'd say that you also check out the Riseman, as mentioned.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nebraska, U.S.A.
    Posts
    596

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Like previously mentioned, the PAW1300's sensors are a bit sensitive to temperature change. I would suggest looking into the updated version, PAW2000, if you are set on having the compass function built into the watch. Otherwise, the Riseman is a great alternative choice.

  8. #7
    Member BruceS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,560

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    My PRG-110T has always been right there with my (former) Suunto Observer in everything but altimeter (since there's not altimeter lock). I however, have no complaints. In fact, I like the PRG so much I sold the Suunto after many years of use from it.

    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Quote Originally Posted by Yang1815 View Post
    Like previously mentioned, the PAW1300's sensors are a bit sensitive to temperature change. I would suggest looking into the updated version, PAW2000, if you are set on having the compass function built into the watch. Otherwise, the Riseman is a great alternative choice.
    OK, thanks for all the tips, actually I do want to have the compass function, which rules out the Riseman.

    However, I now have more doubts . So as you are saying, the PAW2000 is more accurate than the PAW1300. However, in terms of price, the PAW2000 gets into the territory of Suunto Core, and I've heard many reports stating that the Suuntos are more accurate. Now accuracy is really important to me, as I'm only considering buying these watches because of the ABC features, and not because I like to have a lot of gimmicks. So how would you compare PAW2000 vs Core in terms of accuracy?

    Right now, I'm leaning a bit more towards the Core due to its stated better accuracy, and I like its style more than the Casio. However it's a close one since the Casio seem a lot more durable and I love the Solar Power feature. Atomic clock really means nothing to me.

    Therefore I guess it's the accuracy of the PAW2000 vs Core that will help me untie the game and decide for one or another ... It's also important to note that it's not just a matter of which is more accurate, but also how much more accurate it is. I mean, if the Core is more accurate, but the Casio is just right up there, with minimal differences, I would go for the Casio ... But if the difference is considerable, I would go with the Suunto ...

    Thanks for all your insights!
    Last edited by ddkalfa; January 4th, 2011 at 03:27.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nebraska, U.S.A.
    Posts
    596

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post
    OK, thanks for all the tips, actually I do want to have the compass function, which rules out the Riseman.

    However, I now have more doubts . So as you are saying, the PAW2000 is more accurate than the PAW1300. However, in terms of price, the PAW2000 gets into the territory of Suunto Core, and I've heard many reports stating that the Suuntos are more accurate. Now accuracy is really important to me, as I'm only considering buying these watches because of the ABC features, and not because I like to have a lot of gimmicks. So how would you compare PAW2000 vs Core in terms of accuracy?

    Right now, I'm leaning a bit more towards the Core due to its stated better accuracy, and I like its style more than the Casio. However it's a close one since the Casio seem a lot more durable and I love the Solar Power feature. Atomic clock really means nothing to me.

    Therefore I guess it's the accuracy of the PAW2000 vs Core that will help me untie the game and decide for one or another ... It's also important to note that it's not just a matter of which is more accurate, but also how much more accurate it is. I mean, if the Core is more accurate, but the Casio is just right up there, with minimal differences, I would go for the Casio ... But if the difference is considerable, I would go with the Suunto ...

    Thanks for all your insights!
    I have no experience with Suunto watches so I will let others chime in. From what I've read though, durability goes to Casio. And some of the difference I remember is altimeter for Casio is in increment of 5 where as it's more precise on the Suunto. I'm sure Queen6 or Cal45 will jump in with comparisons.

  11. #10
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: My first G-Shock! Looking for a trekker

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post
    OK, thanks for all the tips, actually I do want to have the compass function, which rules out the Riseman.
    okay, bye bye GW-9200 then

    However, I now have more doubts . So as you are saying, the PAW2000 is more accurate than the PAW1300. However, in terms of price, the PAW2000 gets into the territory of Suunto Core, and I've heard many reports stating that the Suuntos are more accurate. Now accuracy is really important to me, as I'm only considering buying these watches because of the ABC features, and not because I like to have a lot of gimmicks. So how would you compare PAW2000 vs Core in terms of accuracy?
    the suunto core is a whole lot different to any of the casio pathfinders. short version: while the casios can be considered as watches with some additional ABC functions, the sunnto can be considered as a full blood ABC tool, which also is able to tell the time. accuracy (especially the altimeter) and functionality have a complete different level in the core.

    Right now, I'm leaning a bit more towards the Core due to its stated better accuracy, and I like its style more than the Casio. However it's a close one since the Casio seem a lot more durable and I love the Solar Power feature. Atomic clock really means nothing to me.
    solar is all good and fine (for normal watches), but not exactly the best idea in the world for an ABC watch. if functionality is most important to you, you will way better off with a 3 volt lithium CR2032 powered watch. good news is, that there is still a (ABC) world beyond suunto and casio. if you are looking for something with equal or even better accuracy and a more attractive price, you should read my replies in these threads first. it explains quite a few things about power and functions and ABC accuracy

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/ne...ch-488726.html

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/pa...40-484815.html



    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts