Some time ago, I moded my G-7900A-4 into what I christened a G-7900A-RD. In my eyes the watch looked MUCH better without the white lettering on the bezel, and to keep things uniform, I also painted the G on the light button. However, my paint job came out less then stellar (quite less, to be honest ), and that has always bothered me.
Once again Carence () came up to my help, and a couple of months ago he also got me a stock Men in Red light button. Since I had a bear of a time with removing and putting back on a c-clip on my last Frog mod, this time I waited to get the proper tool for the job, a Bergeon #6714 c-clip holder. The tool arrived here some three weeks ago, but because of a itsy-bitsy little rock of just 5.4 mm that resolved to take a ride down my left ureter at the time (and yes, it [u]does[/i] hurt like child birth), only now I got back in shape to sit down and finally finish the job.
First things first, after removing the straps and wrist wings, I got the watch apart:
And there's what was giving me anxiety attacks, ever since Carence's button arrived, the darn c-clip :
It's easy to remove, just push it out with a needle nose pliers (though I do that with my hand and the case inside a zip-lock bag, so if it flies out, I won't loose it). On the left is the painted button and on the right is the Men in Red original one. Looking at the tiny c-clip on the mat you may have th false impression that it ain't so terrible to deal with, BUT IT IS, I'm positive it was made by the devil himself!
And here comes the ironic part. Kidney stones not withstanding, the irony is that my $48 brand new tool that took almost 50 days to arrive, didn't work. Not the tool's fault, but Casio's. The light button is on a slanted plane, so there was just no way for me to angle the darn thing to get aligned with the groove on the light button's pin . So I had to put the clip back on with pliers (again!), but fortunately things went quite smoothly this time, and it snapped back in with just a few cups of sweat and minor swearing.
I closed everything up (and of course lubed the gasket just for the heck of it), and I went from this:
On pics the painted button may not look too bad, but on my wrist it was driving me crazy. Now the watch looks good .