My G-7900: I'm finally done!
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My G-7900: I'm finally done!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LUW

Picture My G-7900: I'm finally done!

Some time ago, I moded my G-7900A-4 into what I christened a G-7900A-RD. In my eyes the watch looked MUCH better without the white lettering on the bezel, and to keep things uniform, I also painted the G on the light button. However, my paint job came out less then stellar (quite less, to be honest ), and that has always bothered me.

Once again Carence () came up to my help, and a couple of months ago he also got me a stock Men in Red light button. Since I had a bear of a time with removing and putting back on a c-clip on my last Frog mod, this time I waited to get the proper tool for the job, a Bergeon #6714 c-clip holder. The tool arrived here some three weeks ago, but because of a itsy-bitsy little rock of just 5.4 mm that resolved to take a ride down my left ureter at the time (and yes, it [u]does[/i] hurt like child birth), only now I got back in shape to sit down and finally finish the job.

First things first, after removing the straps and wrist wings, I got the watch apart:

And there's what was giving me anxiety attacks, ever since Carence's button arrived, the darn c-clip :

It's easy to remove, just push it out with a needle nose pliers (though I do that with my hand and the case inside a zip-lock bag, so if it flies out, I won't loose it). On the left is the painted button and on the right is the Men in Red original one. Looking at the tiny c-clip on the mat you may have th false impression that it ain't so terrible to deal with, BUT IT IS, I'm positive it was made by the devil himself!

And here comes the ironic part. Kidney stones not withstanding, the irony is that my $48 brand new tool that took almost 50 days to arrive, didn't work. Not the tool's fault, but Casio's. The light button is on a slanted plane, so there was just no way for me to angle the darn thing to get aligned with the groove on the light button's pin . So I had to put the clip back on with pliers (again!), but fortunately things went quite smoothly this time, and it snapped back in with just a few cups of sweat and minor swearing.

I closed everything up (and of course lubed the gasket just for the heck of it), and I went from this:

To this:

On pics the painted button may not look too bad, but on my wrist it was driving me crazy. Now the watch looks good .
    gaopa, TedDotCom, Chrisek and 12 others like this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: My G-7900: I'm finally done!

Well done, Luciano! Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Bill P.

Yes, excellent, thanks for the pictorial essay. I've got the GW version, with the steel "buttons", and I need to take it apart to secure those with adhesive.

Nothing like the project you'd undertaken, but I needed that last little "push" to get started; you've provided that!
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great thread LUW!

I was seriously thinking of doing a similar mod, but that dreaded light button C-clip is what's holding me back...

I'd rather get a GW-7900RD-4 as I don't have much patience to deal with it.
    Wearing a different G-SHOCK ​everyday.

LUW

Thanks guys, I'm proud you like it!

Honestly, the last time a c-clip gave me so much grief that I almost vowed to never mess with them again. For "vertical" case buttons (like the A, B, C and D buttons), the 6714 works beautifully - I tried it on an old F91 case. But if you're going to tackle something that is not angled properly, like the 7900's light button, it's useless. Not impossible to do (heck, I did it, so it can't be that hard), but it ain't exactly a piece of cake.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Great job! Looks wonderful

Once you get used to them you can take off and put on the c-clip in less than a minute. I recommend small, pointy and high quality tweezers.

Nice LUW, And glad you are feeling better!
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Awesome job, and great photos. Congrats on your mod! Now you can sleep in peace.
    LEX ET ORDO

Did anyone else read that thread title in the previous screen and think: "This guy thinks he's got a 7900, and now he is done collecting G-Shocks? Let me click in here and set him straight..." :)

Nice job on the mod! You've got patience that I can only dream of!
    gripmaster likes this.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Nicely done, perseverance and all! Congrats!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information