My ideal Casio / G-Shock
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My ideal Casio / G-Shock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My ideal Casio / G-Shock

...well strictly speaking, not a G-Shock specific thread, but all the same - this is what I'd most like from a Casio and / or G-Shock model.

A year or so back I bought one of these:-

Name:  casio-wave-ceptor-wva430j-1a-3.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  134.8 KB

That's a WVA-430, solar wavecepter. And very happy with it I was. Found the lume decent enough, and liked the fact that it had a second hand (relevant given the G-Shock I replaced it with...). I found the strap reasonably comfortable, it was robust, yet I got it for a sufficiently decent price (I paid about £66 (UK pounds) for it (delivered)) I considered it my rough-and-ready watch.

Fast-forward some months, and some international travel (I'll just add for context, I live in the UK), first China, then Hong Kong. The WVA-430 just has two channels, and in my instance, gets a signal in the UK or one from Germany. So in the far east, it was never going to sync time - but I could live with that, I knew it's limitations when I bought it.

A few months after that, I had a family holiday in Majorca, and it just about managed to receive time signal for sync whilst I was there.

I'd decided that the next watch I would get, would be a solar multiband 6. Other than the number of channels my WVA-430 could get time sync on, I was more than happy with it.

Earlier on this year, I bought one of these:-

Name:  AWG-M100A-1AER.jpg
Views: 5035
Size:  140.4 KB

Which I once again managed to get for a thoroughly decent price (only a little more than my WVA-430 cost me, I paid about £72 (UK pounds) for it (delivered)). Which had all the features I wanted - solar, multiband 6, rough-and-ready, not a windowsill queen. I gave my WVA-430 to my son (at 8 years old, he's well chuffed with it).

And in fairness, I've been happy with it. Although, I have to say, I didn't find it as exciting as my WVA-430. I miss the second hand, don't know why, I just do. And I prefer the single, yet larger LCD display on the WVA-430. I also like the more simple look of the 430, and the way it looks more like a sporty analogue watch, than a chunky G-Shock.

So I guess my perfect Casio would be, this:-

Name:  casio-wave-ceptor-wva430j-1a-3.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  134.8 KB

but simply also be a multiband 6. I suspect that's a bit to specific - but is there anything like that?
    Last edited by Wongsky; August 16th, 2013 at 16:41.
    G-fob and Nemo like this.

Lightbulb Re: My ideal Casio / G-Shock

Maybe

? © Seiko Spirit
    xevious likes this.
    GW-A1000D-1ADR, FB1200-51A, FDB05001B, SBPG001, AP2010-55E, AL180AMVV-1

Re: My ideal Casio / G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by laskavy View Post
    Maybe

? © Seiko Spirit
    Not that I don't like Seikos, I do, but it's an analogue watch, with the simple look of that WVA-430, but solar and multiband 6 I'm looking for. What would be really cool is if they made the same model as the WVA-430, but as multiband 6.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That SEIKOs are solar and multiband 5.
    GW-A1000D-1ADR, FB1200-51A, FDB05001B, SBPG001, AP2010-55E, AL180AMVV-1

Have you seen the GW-2500? I don't own this one personally, but I like it a lot. Might be a little bit more expensive than you want, but it has a look pretty similar to what you want.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376675762.147231.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  128.1 KB
    xevious likes this.
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

I too really miss the second hand on the ana-digi models like the GW-2500/3500 and the AWG-M100 (the GA-1000 being a notable exception, but it is not solar/atomic).

To be certain, the various WVA (and LCW) models offer great value although at the price of somewhat reduced crystal protection. A large number of them are now offered with Multiband 6 capability. I may be wrong about this, but I have noticed that as in the case of the AWG-M100, the Multiband 6 watches are sometimes distinguished from the Multiband 5 ones by the addition of the letter "M" in the model name as in WVA-M490D or LCW-M1600D. Please, someone correct me if this is not quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by laskavy View Post
    That SEIKOs are solar and multiband 5.
    Yes, got that - I understand - but what I'm looking for is a simplistic looking analogue watch, like the WVA-430 I posted a picture of, with multiband 6, and a second hand.

I've already got a multiband 6 solar G-Shock, and I've got a Seiko solar divers (SNE109P1) - what I was really enquiring about is whether any of the simplistic wavecepters like the WVA-430 come with multiband 6.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Have you seen the GW-2500? I don't own this one personally, but I like it a lot. Might be a little bit more expensive than you want, but it has a look pretty similar to what you want.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376675762.147231.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  128.1 KB
    That's not far off - I'm guessing the right-most dial is seconds, I'd really prefer a full seconds hand.

I suspect my problem is I really liked the look of the WVA-430, less so my G-Shock, just wish I could have the look of the WVA-430 with multiband 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongsky View Post
    ...but what I'm looking for is a simplistic looking analogue watch, like the WVA-430 I posted a picture of, with multiband 6, and a second hand.

I've already got a multiband 6 solar G-Shock, and I've got a Seiko solar divers (SNE109P1) - what I was really enquiring about is whether any of the simplistic wavecepters like the WVA-430 come with multiband 6.
    This one should be right up your alley. No nits to pick other than the relatively weak (50m) water-resistance and the customary poor Casio lume. And, oh, availability is mostly limited to Japan.

Here's the link to my introductory thread: LIneage LCW-M100D-7AJF Weds Old And New

Last edited by AirWatch; August 16th, 2013 at 21:49.
    Nemo and Rocat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AirWatch View Post
    This one should be right up your alley. No nits to pick other than the relatively weak (50m) water-resistance and the customary poor Casio lume. And, oh, availability is mostly limited to Japan.

Here's the link to my introductory thread: LIneage LCW-M100D-7AJF Weds Old And New

Think I've just discovered some similar models on ebay (WVA-M630D-2AJF), here's a couple of pics:-

Name:  WVA-M630D-7AJF.JPG
Views: 2159
Size:  158.6 KB

Name:  WVA-M630D-2AJF .JPG
Views: 2099
Size:  177.5 KB

Again, like yours, both look to be Japanese models, offered for import. Spec seems the same as for yours - although I like the numbers better on the one you've found, than the ones I've found (well comparing the white faced ones, anyways).

Although I'd prefer the 100m rating of the WVA-430, it's not really an issue, I did wear the WVA-430 anywhere, including swimming baths (and now my son does) is that still reasonable with these 50m resistance watches?

Good find - I guess I just need to opt for one, now, like them all, really - yours is the one I like best, though, with the styling of the numerals.
    Nemo likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information