• 1 Post By wcannon32
  • 1 Post By Miklos86
  • 1 Post By GaryK30
  • 3 Post By Time4Playnow
  • 1 Post By GaryK30
  • 1 Post By tekmonkey

Thread: My Ideas about how to improce the Rangeman 3410 Module

My Ideas about how to improce the Rangeman 3410 Module

After having owned my Rangeman for about 6 months now, and having really grown to appreciate and love how it is really the closest thing I'll probably get to a perfect watch (for me), my engineering self started fantasizing yesterday about what I would change if the 3410 module was programmable. And in testament to how good I think the 3410 is, they are really minor changes

Thought of sharing them here, and would love to hear feedback from follow ranger owners about it as well

Legend:
    So, with that out of the way, let's make sure we're all on the same page. I am going to be using the same button naming convention in the 3410 manual:
    Name:  buttons.png
Views: 232
Size:  30.4 KB
    With that out of the way, here are my most wanted modifications to the 3410 programming, ranked by priority for me (a father, engineer, outdoor lover, fitness fanatic & ex-pathfinder)

1. Quick Access CDT: The C Button should quick start the countdown timer in the timekeeping mode
    I ABSOLUTELY love the quick press on A button, to launch the stopwatch in timekeeping mode, and use it a lot. However, as far as I am aware, the C button, does nothing in the timekeeping mode, hence I would suggest something similar

I don't think there is a lot needed to explain here, it is just the same functionality as in the quick access A button

2. Stop Watch Split Time Display Reverse
    Granted, I don't know how people use the stop watch feature, so I may not have a statistically sound sample of the common usage, but here is my idea of how the split time should work

1. Press A (in stopwatch or timekeeping mode) and the stop watch starts
    2. Press C then the stopwatch continues, but just stores the split time (note this is opposed to the stopwatch continuing, but the SPLIT time being shown)
    3. Press A then the stopwatch stops (now indicating the longer time period, if you were timing a race, this would be the 2nd place winner's time)
    4. Press C then the original split time is shown (now indicating the shorter time period, if you were timing a race, this would be the winner's time)
    5. Press C again, the stopwatch resets

The main reason I like this is because you can keep an eye on TOTAL time elapsed since an even, while being able to store a sub-time like previously. It still provides the same timing and storage capability as the original functionality, but ensures that you can always keep an eye on TOTAL elapsed time, which is not currently possibly with the current implementation.

3. CDT Setting:
    I don't know about you, but I tend to use my CDT for timing minutes way more frequently than timing hours. So I would rather pressing the E Button in the timekeeping mode to take me straight to minutes setting, and then I can navigate back and forward like before using the C & A buttons

4. E Button Long Press on World Time should reset WT to UTC
    Again, I think this is pretty self explanatory and would be cool to have quick access to Zulu time, regardless of how far the current time zone you have in there is

That is all, ladies and gents. If you have been reading so far, thank you very much for your time. I hope I did not bore you to death with my fantasy and thanks for being here for me to mumble about how to optimise my G shock; something I can't really talk to anyone else about without them falling asleep or rolling their eyes at me
    GaryK30 and BACKBLAST72 like this.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

Re: My Ideas about how to improce the Rangeman 3410 Module

Two of the four are in the GD-350 but you lose a lot of other features of Rangeman, I agree those two features could easily be adopted into the Rangman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tekmonkey likes this.

I second these improvements. Their slightness shows just how good the module of the Rangeman is, in spite of its complexity.

The good folks here have shared their two cents regarding the possible improvement of the Rangeman, no just module-wise:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fea...n-4504987.html
    tekmonkey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wcannon32 View Post
    Two of the four are in the GD-350 but you lose a lot of other features of Rangeman, I agree those two features could easily be adopted into the Rangman.
    Yes, and if I didn't absolutely love the ABC functions for the outdoor stuff I do, I would've just gotten the 350. As I've always said, a 350 with solar / multiband would be a very strong contender to replace my rangeman... or maybe a vibe alarm rangeman? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
    I second these improvements. Their slightness shows just how good the module of the Rangeman is, in spite of its complexity
    ABSOLUTELY. As I said, I'm going for Perfection / Grail tool watch here, rather than "oh this ruined it for me"

Quote Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
    The good folks here have shared their two cents regarding the possible improvement of the Rangeman, no just module-wise:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fea...n-4504987.html
    Ah, wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the link
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Quote Originally Posted by tekmonkey View Post
    After having owned my Rangeman for about 6 months now, and having really grown to appreciate and love how it is really the closest thing I'll probably get to a perfect watch (for me), my engineering self started fantasizing yesterday about what I would change if the 3410 module was programmable. And in testament to how good I think the 3410 is, they are really minor changes

Thought of sharing them here, and would love to hear feedback from follow ranger owners about it as well

Legend:
    So, with that out of the way, let's make sure we're all on the same page. I am going to be using the same button naming convention in the 3410 manual:
    Name:  buttons.png
Views: 232
Size:  30.4 KB
    With that out of the way, here are my most wanted modifications to the 3410 programming, ranked by priority for me (a father, engineer, outdoor lover, fitness fanatic & ex-pathfinder)

1. Quick Access CDT: The C Button should quick start the countdown timer in the timekeeping mode
    I ABSOLUTELY love the quick press on A button, to launch the stopwatch in timekeeping mode, and use it a lot. However, as far as I am aware, the C button, does nothing in the timekeeping mode, hence I would suggest something similar

I don't think there is a lot needed to explain here, it is just the same functionality as in the quick access A button

2. Stop Watch Split Time Display Reverse
    Granted, I don't know how people use the stop watch feature, so I may not have a statistically sound sample of the common usage, but here is my idea of how the split time should work

1. Press A (in stopwatch or timekeeping mode) and the stop watch starts
    2. Press C then the stopwatch continues, but just stores the split time (note this is opposed to the stopwatch continuing, but the SPLIT time being shown)
    3. Press A then the stopwatch stops (now indicating the longer time period, if you were timing a race, this would be the 2nd place winner's time)
    4. Press C then the original split time is shown (now indicating the shorter time period, if you were timing a race, this would be the winner's time)
    5. Press C again, the stopwatch resets

The main reason I like this is because you can keep an eye on TOTAL time elapsed since an even, while being able to store a sub-time like previously. It still provides the same timing and storage capability as the original functionality, but ensures that you can always keep an eye on TOTAL elapsed time, which is not currently possibly with the current implementation.

3. CDT Setting:
    I don't know about you, but I tend to use my CDT for timing minutes way more frequently than timing hours. So I would rather pressing the E Button in the timekeeping mode to take me straight to minutes setting, and then I can navigate back and forward like before using the C & A buttons

4. E Button Long Press on World Time should reset WT to UTC
    Again, I think this is pretty self explanatory and would be cool to have quick access to Zulu time, regardless of how far the current time zone you have in there is

That is all, ladies and gents. If you have been reading so far, thank you very much for your time. I hope I did not bore you to death with my fantasy and thanks for being here for me to mumble about how to optimise my G shock; something I can't really talk to anyone else about without them falling asleep or rolling their eyes at me
    These are some interesting ideas.

I think they should also add dual time (second time zone on main timekeeping display). Many of my other Gs have this.
    tekmonkey likes this.

I usually don't pay too much attention to threads like this, cause I'm more interested in what Gs currently offer than in dreams about what they might offer... But also, we f17 members can come up with any ideas that we want. However, I think there is next to no chance that our ideas here will have any influence on Casio and the actual design of future Gs. So, I treat this whole topic with a grain of salt.

That said, your suggestions seem very reasonable. Not particularly useful to me, but useful to many I'm sure.

Kind of related to what Gary said, I'd like the Ranger to be able to show World Time on the main Timekeeping screen. Currently, the top portion of the screen either shows the Day, or the Baro Graph. No reason a 3rd option could not be added -- World Time. And while they're at it, why not a 4th option for that screen area -- moon age?

I recently discovered that even the GW-9300 Mudman can display World Time on the main Timekeeping screen. The King does it as well, along with the GWF-1000 Frogman, and others. (for some reason, the newer D1000 Frogman does not do this) It's a very useful feature that should be on most Gs IMO.
    GaryK30, BACKBLAST72 and Mrcrooka1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    These are some interesting ideas.

I think they should also add dual time (second time zone on main timekeeping display). Many of my other Gs have this.
    On further consideration, I realized that the Rangeman does have a version of dual time, but it's in the world time mode. From the timekeeping screen, pressing Mode moves to world time mode, which shows the world time and the local time. Pressing and holding Mode returns to the timekeeping mode. So this isn't that different from the way dual time works on other Gs.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    I usually don't pay too much attention to threads like this, cause I'm more interested in what Gs currently offer than in dreams about what they might offer... But also, we f17 members can come up with any ideas that we want. However, I think there is next to no chance that our ideas here will have any influence on Casio and the actual design of future Gs. So, I treat this whole topic with a grain of salt
    Oh definitely, and don't worry, I have no illusion of all these suggestions not being looked at, EVEN if some of their features show up in future modules, it 100% not be because of my suggestions :D

But yeah, fantasizing and dreaming can be a nice activity :D
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Thread Information