My new Get Up Man G-Shock
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    LUW
    LUW is offline
    Member LUW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    5,713

    Thumbs Up My new Get Up Man G-Shock



    FINALLY I got a Riseman (G-9200-1DR)! I was after one since the beginning of the year, but there was always some other model that took it's place for one reason or another on my buying list. In truth, I was after one since 2010, and almost got the orange 9200R4 version a couple of times back then, but never convinced myself that I would like an orange watch. So this year when I started selling a few of my other watches and got back to Gs, the time finally came for the Riseman. To be on the safe side I got the plain-Jane version, but I am thinking of getting some new clothes for it .



    First thing I have to comment on is the back. To my surprise, the 1DR has the dragon badge, which I find cooler then the other (manta ray?) badge. But that's a problem, since if you look at my sig I now have the wrong badge. Anyone has a white and black dragon badge ?


    A new G, so that means a bike ride ! We were having miserable weather all week long, and today was the first time this week that we could see that glowing yellow disk in the sky, so I raced home after lunch and swapped my Final Frog for the Riseman and smashing pedals I went. The pic above is at a park about 1 click from my house, where I usually start my dirt rides. In the early 1900's my region was extensively colonized by Italians, and they thought the soil and climate were good enough for wines. In the early 1930's an enology station was created, to experiment with grapes and wine production techniques. All was going well but in the late 50's a fungus plague attacked grapevines all over the region, and by early 1960 grape production around here was finished. The enology station was abandoned, and the City bought the grounds in the 70's, but never invested in it. It became the stage for motocross races and jeep raids, that were basically tearing everything up . Some 15 years ago City Hall finally woke up and transformed it into a municipal park, and slowly it's becoming a fantastic place to hang out with your kids and family. And, it has some awesome dirt trails .


    I was genuinely impressed with the Riseman. It's VERY comfortable to wear, a watch that you forget that it's on your wrist. With 67 g it's not my lightest G, but light enough to wear unnoticed. The module is fantastic, and it's just not perfect because like with every other altimeter from Casio, it only shows altitude increments in 5 m . But the "time functions" are pretty good IMO: current time displayed in SW and CT and you have day/date/month/year in the main time screen. Also, this was the first G where I heard the hourly beeps while riding.


    In terms of size it's a middle term, with 47,6 mm of diameter and 13,3 mm of height. As you see in the pic above, it's in-between the smallish 5600 (41,6 mm) and the biggish 9300 (52 mm). For my tastes the perfect size for a G is something between 45 and 50 mm, so in the size department it's perfect. No too tall also, so it doesn't snag on shirt or jacket cuffs.


    But now I understand why some people regard the Riseman as a "fragile G". When I unwrapped it on Wednesday, the first thing I noticed was the thin strap. I won't go as far as calling it flimsy, but sturdy it ain't . It's not like I'm afraid of it easily breaking, but it's definitively not as rugged as the strap you find on a Frog or Mudman. I can't understand how Casio couldn't make it comfortable but stronger - that is NOT a tall order, since they did it with the 9300. Because of the strap, I have the feeling that I will find more "under-engineering" when I take it apart. Pity, it sure deserved better .



    All in all it was a very pleasant ride (though short - 25 km) and I loved the Riseman. I think, despite the strap, it deserves being part of the Master of G lineup, and at least in my eyes is a very good current example of what I think a G-Shock should be (again, wimpy strap notwithstanding). If you collect Gs I would say this is a must-buy, but if you just want a "casual" G, with the benefits of a pretty good altimeter, the Riseman is a great option .
    Last edited by LUW; June 3rd, 2012 at 05:53.

  2. #2
    Member xevious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about
    Posts
    6,100

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Nice review and comparisons, Luciano.

    About the strap, I'm surprised that you find it too thin. I installed the Riseman strap on my Gulfman and find it perfect. The resin seems quite durable and thick enough for most purposes. Seriously, I can't see it eligible to be called flimsy, whether installed on the Riseman or Gulfman. The Mudman strap is more rugged, as you can see the section closest to the module is wider than the rest. It's probably more rugged than it really needs to be, though.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

  3. #3
    EMT
    EMT is offline
    Member EMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    193

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    The Riseman is the dopest watch I don't have! I was all set to buy one until I found out the new G-Lides were coming out next month, but after seeing this I'm back to thinking I should get a Riseman again!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    62

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    But now I understand why some people regard the Riseman as a "fragile G". When I unwrapped it on Wednesday, the first thing I noticed was the thin strap. I won't go as far as calling it flimsy, but sturdy it ain't . It's not like I'm afraid of it easily breaking, but it's definitively not as rugged as the strap you find on a Frog or Mudman. I can't understand how Casio couldn't make it comfortable but stronger - that is NOT a tall order, since they did it with the 9300. Because of the strap, I have the feeling that I will find more "under-engineering" when I take it apart. Pity, it sure deserved better .
    .
    Just take the strap from your 9300 and put it on the Riseman! The new Mudman strap is changable with the gulfman and Riseman.

  6. #5
    Member Chrisek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    6,184
    I think everyone should have a riseman and a 5000/5600 at one time or another.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

  7. #6
    Member CanonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,097
    Looks great LUW and nice write up. Interesting to see although it appears a little smaller than the 9300 it has bigger primary digits.

    I think watches with lumps sticking out just look awesome and this is tops.

    And the std colours look great, I think we get a little carried away with garish this and reverse that and forget the std colours rock too.

    Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

  8. #7
    Member Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Torchwood, UK
    Posts
    1,596

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Enjoyed the write up LUW, your review has finally made me decide, the riseman's my next G!

    Cheers,
    Gordon uk

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    455

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Great write up, I enjoy your reviews very much. One thing though, the logo on the case back on the JDM version is a flying squirrel not a ray.

  10. #9
    LUW
    LUW is offline
    Member LUW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Thanks guys, I'm pleased you liked the write up .

    Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    About the strap, I'm surprised that you find it too thin. I installed the Riseman strap on my Gulfman and find it perfect. The resin seems quite durable and thick enough for most purposes. Seriously, I can't see it eligible to be called flimsy, whether installed on the Riseman or Gulfman. The Mudman strap is more rugged, as you can see the section closest to the module is wider than the rest. It's probably more rugged than it really needs to be, though.
    It's thinner, but as I said, I don't think it's not resistant - very probably it's the 9300's strap that is over-engineered.
    One thing that it has going for it is the raised edge on the tip, securing the keeper in place. It's my only strap with this simple and very effective feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by EMT View Post
    The Riseman is the dopest watch I don't have! I was all set to buy one until I found out the new G-Lides were coming out next month, but after seeing this I'm back to thinking I should get a Riseman again!
    You won't regret it! It has all the benefits of G and some of the features of a ProTrek.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeair View Post
    Just take the strap from your 9300 and put it on the Riseman! The new Mudman strap is changable with the gulfman and Riseman.
    I thought they had different dimensions but I just looked and you're right!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    I think everyone should have a riseman and a 5000/5600 at one time or another.
    If you're a collector, I couldn't agree more!

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew&7 View Post
    Interesting to see although it appears a little smaller than the 9300 it has bigger primary digits.

    And the std colours look great, I think we get a little carried away with garish this and reverse that and forget the std colours rock too.
    On the wrist they wear basically the same, what makes the Mudman feel bigger is that it's taller. The sensor on the Riseman is what makes it look big.
    And you are right! I feel that the Men in Garish Burning Red Military Colors is a bit contradictory in a G.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Enjoyed the write up LUW, your review has finally made me decide, the riseman's my next G!
    Finally I get some payback on this wallet-pit-of-doom that is F17!

    Quote Originally Posted by tomd1107 View Post
    One thing though, the logo on the case back on the JDM version is a flying squirrel not a ray.
    Flying squirrel - yeah, that makes more sense then a manta ray .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    223

    Re: My new Get Up Man G-Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    I think everyone should have a riseman and a 5000/5600 at one time or another.
    Why, what have i ever done to you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •