My New GMW-b5000: Thoughts and a Few Questions
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My New GMW-b5000: Thoughts and a Few Questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    So I finally got around to buying one and it is pretty much everything I expected. The only thing that surprised me a bit was the weight. It doesn’t bother me, but I did expect it to be a bit lighter. The brushed bezel in particular is beautiful. It has a beautiful grain to it for a sub $500 watch and it contrasts the bling and star shine of the rest of the watch perfectly. The bracelet articulates amazingly well and wraps comfortably around the wrist. The bracelet is the real draw for me of course, along with the case and bezel. I already own a GW-5600b, so function wise it isn’t really bringing anything new to the table. Overall, I’m very satisfied and happy to finally ad this to my collection.

I do have a few questions though. I find the clasp extremely cheap and weak, even at this price point and mine doesn’t seem to close properly unless I tuck my finger under it to give it some resistance when I press down on it. Is this common? I find this irritating and unacceptable. It closes and is secure, but like I said I have to tuck my finger behind it to close it almost every time.
    Lastly, I feel like my end links are really jangly. The end link screws seem almost loose in a way. Is it supposed to be like this to give the bracelet some flex?

Edit: How could I forget to add a pic? Here you go

Name:  20190619_185520_1560953790679.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.98 MB
    kenls likes this.
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    Seiko: Blue Coral Monster
    Casio Oceanus : OCW-s100
    G Shock: GMW-b5000, GX-56bb, GW-b5600

Re: My New GMW-b5000: Thoughts and a Few Questions

„I find the clasp extremely cheap and weak, even at this price point and mine doesn’t seem to close properly unless I tuck my finger under it to give it some resistance when I press down on it. Is this common?“

At least with one of my two it is the same.

I have to do the same with every folding clasp, including Pateks. Rest assured the G bracelet can survive extreme shocks which would destroy other brands' attempts.

Try this: Attempt to undo the clasp without pressing the dual releases.

A highly shock resistant structure may not match your intuitive concept. Any "play" in the design is a deliberate feature which helps to dissipate shock forces and remain intact, not rigidly absorb them and break.
    Last edited by tomchicago; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:48.
    Ottovonn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    I have to do the same with every folding clasp, including Pateks. Rest assured the G bracelet can survive extreme shocks which would destroy other brands' attempts. A highly shock resistant structure may not match your intuitive concept.
    Really? Weird, this is the first clasp I've ever had where I've had to do this. Not a huge deal and it sounds like it might just be part of the build.

Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    I have to do the same with every folding clasp, including Pateks. Rest assured the G bracelet can survive extreme shocks which would destroy other brands' attempts. A highly shock resistant structure may not match your intuitive concept.
    What does that even mean? Any 'shocks' that would destroy a normal watch bracelet are probably going to fubar my arm, at which point the watch will be the least of my concerns.

I've not handled the all metal squares, but in the videos I've seen they appear to have a lot of slop/wiggle ("jangly-ness" if you will) along the full length of the bracelet. I think that's the result of using springbars instead of pins.

I hadn't worn mine for a couple of months until recently; I'd forgotten how awesome it was.

Incidentally, I don't have the clasp problem you describe.

re: bracelet attachment screws:

Name:  IMG_20190611_115330.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  2.09 MB

I don't think I would worry about the bracelet after watching this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTxQlmJ9bI
    Time4Playnow and Sid_Mac like this.

Yes I am a huge Casio fan. But honestly I think your critique of the clasp is not only unfair, but also needless nitpicking. Unfair because I don't think the clasp is necessarily cheap or out-of-line for a watch of its price. Needless because I have umpteen number of watches with similar clasps, and some of them do need pressure behind the clasp when it's closed on the wrist. This includes a recent Seiko diver I just put on my wrist that has a very secure "snap" to the clasp when closed - yet I still had to put my finger behind the clasp to close it when it's on my wrist. Same principle as to why you cannot do CPR on a person unless there is a firm, solid surface underneath their back. And really, if putting a finger behind a clasp to close it is what you have to complain about - then you might want to re-think that, IMO.

As someone pointed out, the most important thing is how secure the clasp is when closed. I have never had a GMW clasp come open by itself and I own several of them.

I agree that the band is some flexible etc. and that is probably due to the use of spring bars. Hopefully the pics Tom posted answered your questions about the band attachment screws. It is a secure attachment system. No need to worry about it though I suppose you could check to make sure the screws are secure.
    ox71 and yankeexpress like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Yes I am a huge Casio fan. But honestly I think your critique of the clasp is not only unfair, but also needless nitpicking. Unfair because I don't think the clasp is necessarily cheap or out-of-line for a watch of its price. Needless because I have umpteen number of watches with similar clasps, and some of them do need pressure behind the clasp when it's closed on the wrist. This includes a recent Seiko diver I just put on my wrist that has a very secure "snap" to the clasp when closed - yet I still had to put my finger behind the clasp to close it when it's on my wrist. Same principle as to why you cannot do CPR on a person unless there is a firm, solid surface underneath their back. And really, if putting a finger behind a clasp to close it is what you have to complain about - then you might want to re-think that, IMO.

As someone pointed out, the most important thing is how secure the clasp is when closed. I have never had a GMW clasp come open by itself and I own several of them.

I agree that the band is some flexible etc. and that is probably due to the use of spring bars. Hopefully the pics Tom posted answered your questions about the band attachment screws. It is a secure attachment system. No need to worry about it though I suppose you could check to make sure the screws are secure.
    Yeah, I think I made a bigger deal about the clasp being cheap than is necessarily true. It really isn't any different than any of my sub $500 divers.

But I guess I am in the minority in reference to closing the clasp. I have owned 30 plus watches and tried on dozens more and I have never had a clasp that I had to tuck my finger behind. Generally my wrist gives it enough of a "solid surface". I never said a word about it feeling insecure or worrying thar it would open up. That isn't my concern. I like to wear my watches tight, so it is not just an annoyance but difficult to tuck my finger under it. That is my concern. Yeah, that may not be a big deal to you, but it kind of is to me. It doesn't ruin the watch or overall experience, but others have pointed out that theirs click shut without issue, so I am a bit disappointed mine doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information