My new (to me) GW-2310
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My new (to me) GW-2310

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new (to me) GW-2310

After wearing the GW-M5610 for a couple months I decided I might be a G-Shock guy after all so I decided to get a round model to go along with the square. After a lot of research I narrowed it down to the GW-6900 and the GW-2310, and it really wasn't a contest, the 2310 won hands down based on appearance alone. I just can't convince myself that I like the three eyes on the 6900 even though I know it's a classic. I've also read that some guys don't care for the shiny metal on the 2310, but I really like it. So, I started watching the eBay and the sales forum here hoping to find a decent used one that I could try, and if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out much money. I found a seller on the bay that had several available for $45.50 with free shipping so I ordered one.

It arrived today and it looks to have been worn very little, it is in excellent shape. All of the color in the lettering is still there and no real marks anywhere on the watch so I lucked out and got a good one. I wore it cutting the grass and it is very, very comfortable even though it's a bit bigger than the 5610. I've only worn it a couple hours but I think it's a real keeper that has earned a spot in the rotation. It has a J date code so it was manufactured in 2010, and it was made in Thailand. For a five year old watch it has very low mileage on it I believe.

One thing I did notice right away was that the buttons are a little easier to push than the 5610. I turned on the auto EL function and it seems very sensitive, much more so than the 5610. It comes on with the slightest movement of the wrist and it is a bright, sunny day.

Here's a couple shots of it. Enjoy!

One thing I thought was kind of cool is that it synched up with the Mother Ship at 2:04 AM while it was somewhere between New York and Indiana on it's way here, presumably in a USPS semi because the tracking showed it arrived at the post office at 8 AM today.

Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Re: My new (to me) GW-2310

Its a good little watch and $45.5 is a good price. I had the GW2310 last year and sold it. Realized I liked the style and bought the 2310R, solar only, since the bezel has red lettering and the lcd has a blue window in the top where the day is located.

Enjoy your watch.
    Ash1979, Pipboy and HoosierTrooper like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I have a GW-2310 as well. It's a good workhorse among the smaller, round G-Shocks. The strap is too short for some folks, but it works fine for me, on the 4th hole. When I bought it over a year ago I found the strap too stiff and somewhat uncomfortable, but since then it has conformed to my wrist shape and is now fairly comfortable. I wear it when I don't feel like wearing my better GW-9110-1, which is similar in size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For many years I had only a G-2300 it's the non waveceptor original model. Great little watch with green lcd. I do love my GW-6900 quite a bit more but I wish it had the killer killer Green EL light it's soo bright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ash1979 likes this.

Very nice!

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Nice buy! These are solid workhorse G-Shocks for a very good value.

My only gripe is that the alarm tones are rather weak, lower than a DW-5600E. Unless you're in a really quiet environment, you'll likely miss the alarm going off. Otherwise, these trump the DW-6900 in my book, because of the large buttons. Also, there are plenty of these around, so parts are always easy to find.
    HoosierTrooper likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I wanted to update this post to let you all know what happened with this watch. When I got it the battery level was on high and it has never dropped any lower, and all of the functions have worked perfectly. A few days ago I noticed all three power level windows were blinking so I sat it outside in the sun for about six hours and it didn't change, all three windows still blinking and the back-light was very dim. I got a new Panasonic CTL1616 battery and when I opened it up I found the battery in it is an Energizer CR1616, which is a standard lithium battery and is not rechargeable. Apparently a previous owner replaced the battery with the wrong one and it is starting to run down.

It also had two gaskets in it, which I'm sue it didn't come from the factory with. New battery installed and only one gasket put back in and it's working fine, hopefully I'll get a few more years out of it because I really like the 2310 a lot.

If there is a lesson in this I guess it would be that it doesn't hurt to pop off the back and take a look at what is inside an older watch like this one when purchased used from an unknown person.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierTrooper View Post

It also had two gaskets in it, which I'm sue it didn't come from the factory with. New battery installed and only one gasket put back in and it's working fine, hopefully I'll get a few more years out of it because I really like the 2310 a lot.
    The OC in me wants to put the 2nd gasket back inside the watch :D

btw how did the 2 gaskets fit?

Glad to hear that you got the problem figured out and a new rechargeable battery installed!

I can't help but wonder why the previous owner put a new battery in a five year old watch, though -- did he not understand how solar-powered watches work?

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    The OC in me wants to put the 2nd gasket back inside the watch :D

btw how did the 2 gaskets fit?
    They fit fine, one was on top of the other. When I took the back off one was stuck to it and the other one came partially out of the groove it sets in. I guess it's possible that when it was built two may have been put in by accident, but i don't recall ever reading about a G-Shock having two gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Glad to hear that you got the problem figured out and a new rechargeable battery installed!

I can't help but wonder why the previous owner put a new battery in a five year old watch, though -- did he not understand how solar-powered watches work?
    That is my guess. It even had the little sticker explaining how to do the AC reset on the CR1616, probably from the one he took out. I found it interesting that it was showing high this whole time, I would've thought that it wouldn't show anything in the power display without the right battery but apparently it does.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information