My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Thread: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,485

    Wink My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    I got this DW-5200 from a friend, colleague and forum member last week. It had a dead battery, but I found (5) new CR2320 batteries in the US, which arrived today. The crystal was covered with paint too, but I managed to remove it with a lot of patience. I took of the bezel and tried to clean the inside as far a s possible. There are a DW-5200 Bezel and watchstraps on their way. It will take a while, because I believe Keith (Tiktox) had to order them from Casio Japan. Well, part one was succesful. A bit scary though, because the display stayed black after refreshing the battery. Luckilly the watch revived after the reset. I put some silicon grease on the seal and screw threads, so I hope it will be water resist (although I'm not planning to swim with it.



    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  2. #2
    Member brad15470's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Hi Sjors,

    Looks like that 5200 has been used just a little:-DLOL; always good to see these G-shocks can take the punishment





    BradB-)B-)B-)
    Brad
    Have a great day.

  3. #3
    Member beckstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    150

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    It'll look like new with a new skin, very nice watch indeed.
    Hope you give it plenty of wrist time. Vintage G's to win :gold

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    It pains me to think of how many of these are in the middle of landfills. Most people don't care about their Casios like we do.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    193

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    I got this DW-5200 from a friend, colleague and forum member last week. It had a dead battery, but I found (5) new CR2320 batteries in the US, which arrived today. The crystal was covered with paint too, but I managed to remove it with a lot of patience. I took of the bezel and tried to clean the inside as far a s possible. There are a DW-5200 Bezel and watchstraps on their way. It will take a while, because I believe Keith (Tiktox) had to order them from Casio Japan. Well, part one was succesful. A bit scary though, because the display stayed black after refreshing the battery. Luckilly the watch revived after the reset. I put some silicon grease on the seal and screw threads, so I hope it will be water resist (although I'm not planning to swim with it.



    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Sjors
    Great find,congratulations it looks like it is in pretty good shape for a resto. I just ordered a yellow band and bezel for a 5600 I have that is almost new/old stock. I also ordered a few black bezels which are on backorder. Good luck on the screws,I got real lucky on the last 5600/691 mod. and my 5200 they came out real easy. I used antiseize when I reinstalled them on the 5600. The 5200 I don't plan on wearing so it may never need a new bezel. Have fun.

  7. #6
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,485

    Wink Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Hi DW,

    The screws on this onew are combined phillips, flat head screws. Not sure if they were the original screws, but they were easy to remove. I believe you get new screws with a new bezel, so I will replace them with new ones to prevent accidental breaking

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    193

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi DW,

    The screws on this onew are combined phillips, flat head screws. Not sure if they were the original screws, but they were easy to remove. I believe you get new screws with a new bezel, so I will replace them with new ones to prevent accidental breaking

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Sjors
    I usually don't get new screws when I purchase a bezel. With all due respect,maybe you should double check if you desire new screws to make sure. But new screws is definately a fabulous idea. Good luck with your project,sounds like it's going well already.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chitown, IL
    Posts
    5,451

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    I got this DW-5200 from a friend, colleague and forum member last week. It had a dead battery, but I found (5) new CR2320 batteries in the US, which arrived today. The crystal was covered with paint too, but I managed to remove it with a lot of patience. I took of the bezel and tried to clean the inside as far a s possible. There are a DW-5200 Bezel and watchstraps on their way. It will take a while, because I believe Keith (Tiktox) had to order them from Casio Japan. Well, part one was succesful. A bit scary though, because the display stayed black after refreshing the battery. Luckilly the watch revived after the reset. I put some silicon grease on the seal and screw threads, so I hope it will be water resist (although I'm not planning to swim with it.



    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Sjors,

    I shed a tear looking at that old beauty. I used it for EVERYTHING, including my summer painting job! It has withstood so much abuse. My friends and I used to try to kill ours, throwing it against the ground, etc., and it would just keep going. I'm sure I had it at least 15 years.

    Casio in New Jersey, USA said it didn't have any parts for it. I'm glad that it is now in your hands and look forward to seeing the finished product! It does my heart good to know that my old 5200 is in your hands.

    Neil

  10. #9
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,485

    Wink Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Hi Neil (yep it's very very early here, but I fried out of my bed with those tropical temperatures),

    I hope Keith can get new parts, but if there are any, I believe he will get it. Well, if you have really tried to kill it, the only thing I could find was a minor scratch (less than 0.5 mm) in the ace. That's amazing. It looks like they used a real hardened glass crystal for it. It sounds different. I'm actually wearing it now. I got some small elasic bands for braids in the hair of horses (don't ask me how I got that, but I have hundresds of them) to replace the watchband retainer teporarilly. It would be a nice low key watch, if it wasn't customized by your summer painting job:-D Actually it looks also nice this way.

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    193

    Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi Neil (yep it's very very early here, but I fried out of my bed with those tropical temperatures),

    I hope Keith can get new parts, but if there are any, I believe he will get it. Well, if you have really tried to kill it, the only thing I could find was a minor scratch (less than 0.5 mm) in the ace. That's amazing. It looks like they used a real hardened glass crystal for it. It sounds different. I'm actually wearing it now. I got some small elasic bands for braids in the hair of horses (don't ask me how I got that, but I have hundresds of them) to replace the watchband retainer teporarilly. It would be a nice low key watch, if it wasn't customized by your summer painting job:-D Actually it looks also nice this way.

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Sjors
    The bezel and band are exactly the same as the dw5600c
    the only difference are the screws which were originaly single slot - type. If you want new screws you will probably have to use phillips + type screws like the dw5600c uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Limes Klassik Vintage 1924 (review re-post)
      By stuffler,mike in forum Reviews
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: April 17th, 2009, 11:44
    2. FS: Exotic skin vintage NOS straps crocodile, reptile and lizard, some open-ended
      By Squinky in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: July 4th, 2006, 17:39
    3. FS: BNIB Harry Winston Project Z2 Diver Limited Edition
      By LuxuryBazaar in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 10th, 2006, 19:25
    4. Limes Klassik Vintage 1924 (re-post of my review)
      By stuffler,mike in forum German watches
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: February 11th, 2006, 17:19

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •