My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Thread: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

I got this DW-5200 from a friend, colleague and forum member last week. It had a dead battery, but I found (5) new CR2320 batteries in the US, which arrived today. The crystal was covered with paint too, but I managed to remove it with a lot of patience. I took of the bezel and tried to clean the inside as far a s possible. There are a DW-5200 Bezel and watchstraps on their way. It will take a while, because I believe Keith (Tiktox) had to order them from Casio Japan. Well, part one was succesful. A bit scary though, because the display stayed black after refreshing the battery. Luckilly the watch revived after the reset. I put some silicon grease on the seal and screw threads, so I hope it will be water resist (although I'm not planning to swim with it.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Hi Sjors,

Looks like that 5200 has been used just a little:-DLOL; always good to see these G-shocks can take the punishment

BradB-)B-)B-)
    Brad
    Have a great day.

It'll look like new with a new skin, very nice watch indeed.
    Hope you give it plenty of wrist time. Vintage G's to win :gold

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It pains me to think of how many of these are in the middle of landfills. Most people don't care about their Casios like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    I got this DW-5200 from a friend, colleague and forum member last week. It had a dead battery, but I found (5) new CR2320 batteries in the US, which arrived today. The crystal was covered with paint too, but I managed to remove it with a lot of patience. I took of the bezel and tried to clean the inside as far a s possible. There are a DW-5200 Bezel and watchstraps on their way. It will take a while, because I believe Keith (Tiktox) had to order them from Casio Japan. Well, part one was succesful. A bit scary though, because the display stayed black after refreshing the battery. Luckilly the watch revived after the reset. I put some silicon grease on the seal and screw threads, so I hope it will be water resist (although I'm not planning to swim with it.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Sjors
    Great find,congratulations it looks like it is in pretty good shape for a resto. I just ordered a yellow band and bezel for a 5600 I have that is almost new/old stock. I also ordered a few black bezels which are on backorder. Good luck on the screws,I got real lucky on the last 5600/691 mod. and my 5200 they came out real easy. I used antiseize when I reinstalled them on the 5600. The 5200 I don't plan on wearing so it may never need a new bezel. Have fun.

Wink Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Hi DW,

The screws on this onew are combined phillips, flat head screws. Not sure if they were the original screws, but they were easy to remove. I believe you get new screws with a new bezel, so I will replace them with new ones to prevent accidental breaking

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi DW,

The screws on this onew are combined phillips, flat head screws. Not sure if they were the original screws, but they were easy to remove. I believe you get new screws with a new bezel, so I will replace them with new ones to prevent accidental breaking

Cheers,

Sjors
    Sjors
    I usually don't get new screws when I purchase a bezel. With all due respect,maybe you should double check if you desire new screws to make sure. But new screws is definately a fabulous idea. Good luck with your project,sounds like it's going well already.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Sjors,

I shed a tear looking at that old beauty. I used it for EVERYTHING, including my summer painting job! It has withstood so much abuse. My friends and I used to try to kill ours, throwing it against the ground, etc., and it would just keep going. I'm sure I had it at least 15 years.

Casio in New Jersey, USA said it didn't have any parts for it. I'm glad that it is now in your hands and look forward to seeing the finished product! It does my heart good to know that my old 5200 is in your hands.

Neil

Wink Re: My new Vintage G-Shock restauration project...

Hi Neil (yep it's very very early here, but I fried out of my bed with those tropical temperatures),

I hope Keith can get new parts, but if there are any, I believe he will get it. Well, if you have really tried to kill it, the only thing I could find was a minor scratch (less than 0.5 mm) in the ace. That's amazing. It looks like they used a real hardened glass crystal for it. It sounds different. I'm actually wearing it now. I got some small elasic bands for braids in the hair of horses (don't ask me how I got that, but I have hundresds of them) to replace the watchband retainer teporarilly. It would be a nice low key watch, if it wasn't customized by your summer painting job:-D Actually it looks also nice this way.

Cheers,

Sjors

Hi Neil (yep it's very very early here, but I fried out of my bed with those tropical temperatures),

I hope Keith can get new parts, but if there are any, I believe he will get it. Well, if you have really tried to kill it, the only thing I could find was a minor scratch (less than 0.5 mm) in the ace. That's amazing. It looks like they used a real hardened glass crystal for it. It sounds different. I'm actually wearing it now. I got some small elasic bands for braids in the hair of horses (don't ask me how I got that, but I have hundresds of them) to replace the watchband retainer teporarilly. It would be a nice low key watch, if it wasn't customized by your summer painting job:-D Actually it looks also nice this way.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Sjors
    The bezel and band are exactly the same as the dw5600c
    the only difference are the screws which were originaly single slot - type. If you want new screws you will probably have to use phillips + type screws like the dw5600c uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information