My personal Top 10 of G-Shock releases for 2013
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: My personal Top 10 of G-Shock releases for 2013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink My personal Top 10 of G-Shock releases for 2013

Shamelessly copied from my latest 50 Gs intermezzo article. I was in doubt to post this on WUS for more than a week I think, inspired by the G-Street top 10. My only rue, only one model of a series, so I get a good variety. Of most models I took a new wristshot, but under poor light conditions, so they might look a bit pale or cyan. Don't let that take away the pleasure, so: LET'S GO!

Number 10:

Name:  top10_02.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  121.7 KB1st Bearbrick Collaboration model in white. At first I didn't know what to find of this model, with all the colored details on it. I bought it at Gorilli directly after the release party.

Number 9:

The nice Black and Yellow color scheme is one I like very much. So the Wu-Tang Clan Collaboration model, released at the beginning of 2013 should definitely be in my Top 10.

Number 8:
    One of the models I had been waiting for. Every Anniversary series should have a Project "Team Tough"DW-5000 model. I informed long before the real 30th Anniversary about a special commemoration model, but nothing was official. An important insider close to the G-Shock designer team secretly told me I should save up money for around the real 30th Anniversary in April 2013. The DW-5030C Project "Team Tough"came out with two other G-Shocks, but this was the one I wanted most.

Number 7:

The Undefeated x G-Shock is a very nicely done collaboration. It isn't just a fancy color scheme and a logo. It comes with a great ZULU style strap (or was it NATO, I keep confusing myself about these straps).

Number 6:

Crazy Colors DW-6900SC-7. In my opinion the best G-Shock model with 3D design in the nicest color scheme.Just a great watch.

Number 5:

Pictures don't do justice to this model. Poor light doesn't work right too. A perfect concept design by New Era in the color scheme of their well known stickers of their fitted caps. A big plus for the little cap which is actually a pouch for the watch. Looks great in day light, specially with sunshine.

Number 4:

Air Sea Land, The "Ill Collaboration". Bape x Stüssy x G-Shock Frogman. Another great 30th Anniversary collaboration. Both Stüssy and Bathing Ape (Bape) are known for their great and wanted collaboration models. One of the greatest things that could happen in G-Shock history is that two brands of this calibre collaborate. If you were in time at the Stüssy Store, it was even not a very expensive Frogman. I was lucky to get this with the help of two friends.

Number 3:

The Lightning Yellow Rangeman. The best looking model of this new Master Of G range. Let's hope Casio has some more special Rangemans for us in the near future. I think I do not have to explain why it's in my personal top 10. Very well readable display, packed with cool features, atomic time.

Number 2:

The Gorilli Collaboration. It took a long time from concept to this real model. A sceptic would say "It's only a DW-6900NB-7 with a print on it". Well, basically that's right, but… First of all, it is a very limited run, so Casio would not let you do other things than a special print. So, you need a print that stands out. What's better for a in Netherlands based store than to use the Deft Blue print. You find it everywhere in our country.
    This afternoon I went for a Frozen Yoghurt with my sister in my favorite Coffee Shop and saw this Delft Blue plateau, hidden behind a stove and ornaments. The Gorilli came with a special designed Delft Blue tile and a DW-5600 shaped 4Gb USB stick. What a great concept.

Number 1:

No doubt. Give me the 9 models above randomly and I will probably put them in a slightly other order, but this model is my absolute favorite of 2013. A true winner on my personal Top 10! The Kaneda version of the Akira Collaboration set. You might think, "Is this a 2013 model?" The pre-ordering started in December 2012, while the release was on April 30th. You can't forget that date. It was our last "Queen's Day", as we now have a King. This watch is packed with great details of the Akira comic and anime. A photo of this watch even made me win a G-Shock Contest. My description of the watch was that it was impossible to catch all great features of this watch in one photo.

Anyone dare to post his Top 10 for 2013 releases?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: My personal Top 10 of G-Shock releases for 2013

cool post! thanks for sharing your top 10 list!

I thought of doing a Top 10 winners list.. but then Devastator killed the other 9 nominees..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1275714_608361129206401_1219155375_o.jpg 
Views:	4138 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	1326258

I'm still waiting for 1 more watch to arrive, will try a Top 5 list then.. Can't do 10, since I did not buy 10 2013 releases.
    Last edited by starscream; December 28th, 2013 at 20:07.
    pocky likes this.

Great post, lovely reading I'm suprised by Number 1, since I never heard of it, must have been quite limited release

I don't dare to post my top 10, because I don't know much about new releases, but enjoyed reading yours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome Sjors! I'm in! Let me limit to just the watches I have.

#10 could have been any of a few watches. This one made it because everything you read about its comfort is true and surpasses it.

#9. Carbon Fiber. I don't have to say a lot more here.

#8. New Era. Very cool watch. And I love XL's.

#7. Medicom. Why is this further up the list for me? Best looking 6900 in my eyes. That is significant to me. Although recently surpassed by the Gorilli.

#6. Lightning Yellow Rangeman. My picture doesn't do it justice. Hot watch. If you have any doubt, search threads by Gripmaster ;) if I didn't already own one, I would have after his photos. This watch does not disappoint.

5. Haze. I know, above the New Era? For me, yes. I think it is a fabulous looking watch, the XL's are my favorite series, it has just been available for a while.

4. The "other" watch in the GSET. This one maybe further up for me because I don't own any of the previous era Project Team Tough. Clean and crisp design, chrome screwback. I love this watch.

OK, top 3. #2 and #3 could have just as easily swapped spots for me. So as #3, MTG. Great looking monster of a G.

#2. I saved up for 4 months for this one. Pre-ordered the whole wave to make sure I got one. Almost missed it. Got in trouble with US Customs over it (and increased its effective cost to me in the process). And it's awesome! Offset by still being new to me. This Ti Frog is all that and a bag of chips. In some ways I feel I just got lucky that the wave is so good looking. :D

#1? That's easy. My favorite watch. GW-T, baby!

Ready for the funny part? Squares are not my favorite G, and they make up a third of my list! I find that very amusing, but also speaks for how good they are in reality. :beer:

Who's got next?

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

The only 2013 model I purchased was my first and only 6900, the Limited Edition Adult Swim Metalocalypse DW-6900FSAS:

My #1 would have been the new MTG. It's the only watch that's ever made me consider selling some of mine to buy one.
    Chrisek, deathmasx and Dave B like this.

Okay, I don't have all these watches (I only bought half of them). But I think these are the best releases of 2013:

10.) GF-8250BS Bape X Stussy Frogman. I never thought I would see both of these companies collaborate on a Frogman. It seemed like an instant collectible, and in many ways it is. It represents the absolute best and worst that a collaboration can be. Highly customized (dial, backlight, band, bezel, buttons, screws, caseback), yet too subtle to score higher on the list. In many ways, it was a little too tame. If they went all out and did a Bape camo pattern on the band and bezel, and some brighter colors (maybe plated something other than black) it would have been a strong contender for the #1 spot. I didn't originally want to include it on the list, but it seems it would be wrong not to have it somewhere.

9.) GW-9230BJ Initial Blue Riseman. What--why? Because it is the swan song of the Riseman, and a very classy looking Riseman indeed. Not many made, not much said about it. The initial blue is kind of a forgotten series, but with its interesting half-gloss resin and shimmery dark blue highlights, it is one of the best versions of the Riseman. Would have scored higher if it was a positive display. The Riseman has some very small LCD elements and does not lend itself to a negative display very well.

8.) GDF-100BTN Burton GDF-100 collaboration. In many ways, I think this put the GDF-100 on the map for many people. It was the first GDF-100 I was interested in buying. Great contrast, nice details like the little mountain logo on the dial, and an amazingly comfortable strap.

7.) GW-A1030 Thirty Stars. I am not a huge fan of the GW-A1000, but everything about this watch just "works". Great use of gold without being gaudy or looking cheap. Legible hands. Looks like a quality watch

6.) DW-6901UD Undefeated. Great colors, great use of a custom NATO style strap (not a cheap strap either, the whole thing is well made). Backlight has a great orange color. Everything about it is practical and stylish at the same time.

5.) GW-9430EJ Lightning Yellow Rangeman. Best version of the Rangeman to date, and the only one with black buttons. Not a terribly practical watch for daily use (it will probably get dirty fast) but definitely a standout model for 2013.

4/3) GSET-30 DW-5030 and DW-5030D. The real collector's package of screwback squares made especially for screwback sqare collectors. Made in Japan, and came with a poseable G-man. Both watches are superb quality and met all expectations.

2.) GWF-T1030E I know, it is another from the lightning yellow. Well, the Rangeman was too good to ignore, and so is this one. Bound to be one of the most collectible Frogman watches, everything about it looks great and I love that it is titanium. Too rich for my budget, though, and NO spare resin available from Casio (unlike last year's GWF-T1030A)

1.) GW-T5030 The only titanium screwback square, and my favorite watch of the year by far. It was overpriced, for sure, but with only 200 made I didn't want to miss my chance so I ordered this shortly after it came out and I have been wearing it every week. I love that even the buckle and buttons are made of titanium, and that the DLC coating on the case and caseback is nice and thick like the GW-5000 standard model. Only complaint: no spare resin available, but it takes DW-5600E sized resin so that is always an option.

Last edited by kung-fusion; December 28th, 2013 at 22:21.

My personal top 10 is actually top 8, cause that's the number of 2013-release models that I added to my collection. With the exception of the Wu-Tang 6900 I got everything that I wanted in the category.

Very hard to rank 'em, as I truly like 'em all equally. So, here are they all with corresponding unboxing links, in order of acquisition starting from February 2013:

1. February • GD-350-8 •

GD-350-8JF Here three days after its release...Good Vibrations...Excitations!

2. February • GA-1000-2A •

Give me compass, direction, a second hand and illuminate! Just released GA-1000 delivers it all

3. March • GD-350-1B •

Black & Gold GD-350-1B Good Vibrations...Excitations! Part Two

4. March • DW-6900PL-1 •

New Release Crazy Colors DW-6900PL-1JF Makes A Dazzling Entrance

5. September • DW6901UD-3 •

Undefeated Unbound Unbagged And Unboxed

6. September • GW-9400J-3JF •

Rangeman's Cat's Meow!

7. December • GA-110NE-9ACR •

UPDATE December 7: From Big House To Photoshoot Black & Gold & Bronze New Era GA110NE-9A

8. December • G8900SC-1Y •

Crazy Color Yellow/Black/Yellow G8900SC-1Y

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Shamelessly copied from my latest 50 Gs intermezzo article. I was in doubt to post this on WUS for more than a week I think, inspired by the G-Street top 10. My only rue, only one model of a series, so I get a good variety. Of most models I took a new wristshot, but under poor light conditions, so they might look a bit pale or cyan. Don't let that take away the pleasure, so: LET'S GO!

Number 10:

Name:  top10_02.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  121.7 KB1st Bearbrick Collaboration model in white. At first I didn't know what to find of this model, with all the colored details on it. I bought it at Gorilli directly after the release party.

Number 9:

The nice Black and Yellow color scheme is one I like very much. So the Wu-Tang Clan Collaboration model, released at the beginning of 2013 should definitely be in my Top 10.

Number 8:
    One of the models I had been waiting for. Every Anniversary series should have a Project "Team Tough"DW-5000 model. I informed long before the real 30th Anniversary about a special commemoration model, but nothing was official. An important insider close to the G-Shock designer team secretly told me I should save up money for around the real 30th Anniversary in April 2013. The DW-5030C Project "Team Tough"came out with two other G-Shocks, but this was the one I wanted most.

Number 7:

The Undefeated x G-Shock is a very nicely done collaboration. It isn't just a fancy color scheme and a logo. It comes with a great ZULU style strap (or was it NATO, I keep confusing myself about these straps).

Number 6:

Crazy Colors DW-6900SC-7. In my opinion the best G-Shock model with 3D design in the nicest color scheme.Just a great watch.

Number 5:

Pictures don't do justice to this model. Poor light doesn't work right too. A perfect concept design by New Era in the color scheme of their well known stickers of their fitted caps. A big plus for the little cap which is actually a pouch for the watch. Looks great in day light, specially with sunshine.

Number 4:

Air Sea Land, The "Ill Collaboration". Bape x Stüssy x G-Shock Frogman. Another great 30th Anniversary collaboration. Both Stüssy and Bathing Ape (Bape) are known for their great and wanted collaboration models. One of the greatest things that could happen in G-Shock history is that two brands of this calibre collaborate. If you were in time at the Stüssy Store, it was even not a very expensive Frogman. I was lucky to get this with the help of two friends.

Number 3:

The Lightning Yellow Rangeman. The best looking model of this new Master Of G range. Let's hope Casio has some more special Rangemans for us in the near future. I think I do not have to explain why it's in my personal top 10. Very well readable display, packed with cool features, atomic time.

Number 2:

The Gorilli Collaboration. It took a long time from concept to this real model. A sceptic would say "It's only a DW-6900NB-7 with a print on it". Well, basically that's right, but… First of all, it is a very limited run, so Casio would not let you do other things than a special print. So, you need a print that stands out. What's better for a in Netherlands based store than to use the Deft Blue print. You find it everywhere in our country.
    This afternoon I went for a Frozen Yoghurt with my sister in my favorite Coffee Shop and saw this Delft Blue plateau, hidden behind a stove and ornaments. The Gorilli came with a special designed Delft Blue tile and a DW-5600 shaped 4Gb USB stick. What a great concept.

Number 1:

No doubt. Give me the 9 models above randomly and I will probably put them in a slightly other order, but this model is my absolute favorite of 2013. A true winner on my personal Top 10! The Kaneda version of the Akira Collaboration set. You might think, "Is this a 2013 model?" The pre-ordering started in December 2012, while the release was on April 30th. You can't forget that date. It was our last "Queen's Day", as we now have a King. This watch is packed with great details of the Akira comic and anime. A photo of this watch even made me win a G-Shock Contest. My description of the watch was that it was impossible to catch all great features of this watch in one photo.

Anyone dare to post his Top 10 for 2013 releases?

Cheers,

Sjors
    Your top 3 selection was no surprise to me. I figured you would pick those great models!

For me I can choose my top 7 list:

#7 GDF-100BTN Burton model... The best GDF-100 model to date and I just love the way it looks.

#6 DW-6900MT-7 medicom Toys [email protected] collaboration model. A great collaboration with fantastic packaging and overall great design. I have seen this one IRL and plan to buy it soon.

#5 GB-X6900-2 Metallic Smurf blue... Even though I do not own a smartphone so have no use of the "Smart functions". This is the first BT model that floored me, really stunning blue colorway (and blue is a sensitive colorway for me as there is many BLOO's I do not like ) and have a better module compared to a regular GD-X6900. Financially I made a choice between this one and one of the smoke jelly GD-X6900 models but I ended up choosing this one.

#4 GD-X6900MNM-1 Need I say more? Perhaps the most high profile collaboration ever due to the high level of fame for Eminem. Even though it is plain black. They did it very nice, it has a very sophisticated and sober look. It is not just a plain black, it is the details that does it. I do not yet own this as I am waiting for the January 2014 EU release, but since it is a late 2013 release it belongs in this list.

#3 G-8900SC-6 The Devastator. This is my choice of crazy colors, although not a collaboration or special model. It was quite limited for a crazy color model and it is now discontinued already. I simply love this model, it is my fave 8900 for sure. The strap probably have the brightest green ever seen in a G, even slightly topping the green DW-6900NB-3 and the combo with the metallic purple and very nice pink display with a fantastic pink backlight is just a killer combo.

#2 New Era GA-110NE-9 collaboration, as you pointed out a greatly done collaboration. I love how it reminds me of the Gold Defender Frogman, also very interesting how they infused the sparkling layer in a jelly resin. That is something I have had visions about in my head, so it is great to finally see it coming to live for the first time. Also really great and creative packaging.

#1 Lightning Yellow GW-9430-9 Rangeman even though I have not yet seen it IRL yet comes out at the top for me. This one competes in the all time top 10 fave category... Other fave models in this series are of course the Frogman's both of them. But this time I have a slight preference for the Rangeman so it wins this position.

To add another 4 to my list would be difficult as I can not separate my feelings for those other models I like very much. Other releases I have liked this year is models like the yellow/black G-8900SC-1Y but that one loses out due to the one model per series rule I have imposed in my list in order to make it manageable and for me it comes in at #2, the Devastator is my fave. I also really like the orange/black GA-1000-4 model but have not bought it yet. There is several other 6900 models I like such as the Undefeated, the red Akira model and the carbon fiber strap DW-6930D-1 model. Those are all competing for #6 position, but only lost out due to the packaging and the special [email protected] G-Shock man that you can get with it so the [email protected] model won but only slightly. Worth mentioning this year are of course the Baselworld star the GW-A1100 Aviator model, but did not make my list simply because even though I really like a couple of them they are very pricey models and so far does not top out my fave Aviator the GW-A1000RAF model. Also of course the new MTG must be mentioned, the silver one is my fave. But I am trying to forget about it for budget reasons so that one had to go off my top list... And also those GD-350 must be mentioned. But they have not sold very well so the future of those are uncertain. I did not get one because of budget reasons but also because i was waiting for the right color ways. But now the future is uncertain for this series.

Also worth noticing is I do not have any pictures of most of my faves, currently only the Devastator. That is because most of them had not yet seen any good light (I really am a fan of the summer time or vacation time for pictures) and some I have not yet received. So pictures will come in the future...

But for now my devastator devastating this thread will have to do...

Last edited by Joakim Agren; December 28th, 2013 at 23:33.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    Your top 3 selection was no surprise to me. I figured you would pick those great models!

May the Devastator live long and devastate without end or limit!
    Joakim Agren and starscream like this.

My personal Top 10 of G-Shock releases for 2013

Very nice Sjors and a joy to watch. Cool idea with the countdown and so interesting how one of our best mod's with staggering 600 plus GShock's did vote and you didn't disappoint the audience. Glad the Stussy x Bape Frog made it into the top 10. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Deepsea_dweller; December 29th, 2013 at 04:21.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information