My Riseman gave up the ghost :-(

Thread: My Riseman gave up the ghost :-(

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Riseman gave up the ghost :-(

Wife got me a gw-9200 for my Bday on New Years. Vaca in Fla and while swimming in the pool, I look down... Yup Dead. No Display. Buttons do nothing. I left it in the sun for a bit and think I saw some condensation under the x-tal but not really sure, it was so minimal, if there at all. What a drag! Things like that tend to make me shy away from a particular model/brand. Certainly, I'm not soured on G's but even if I do get some type of warrantly coverage, I hate having to second guess/doubt equipment like that. 3 years of pounding my 2300 and never a hiccup. Maybe a mudman or something next time. Too bad, I liked that module. Sorry for the rant. Just killing time since I can't stare at my watch anymore.
    --Steve
    --------------------
    "War and courage have done more than love of your neighbor. Not your pity but your bravery has saved the unfortunate thus far."
    --Nietzsche

Re: My Riseman gave up the ghost :-(

I have gotten mine wet, but never have gone swimming with it. When it was underwater I did see some bubbles coming from the sensor, but that didn't really surprise me as it is an open space. I would say it is my favourite G-shock that I currently own and I would be devastated if I took it out on a light swim and it broke
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

That sucks. I hope a warranty repair is an easy fix for you. They might just give you a new one if the module is toast. This might just be an isolated incident. I won't start worrying until I hear more similar incidents. There's always the chance of a single malformed part. And not a defect of the entire model line.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is the first news of a Riseman dying on someone iirc.

If you like the model, why not get another Riseman under the waranty and see how you go. It's most likely you just got a bad apple.

sml

Hmm .. guess I better not share my thoughts on the Riseman!

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post
    If it's just going to be based on your experience with a single Riseman, then I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post

What went wrong with your Riseman?

I have had mine for almost 6 months.Been through quite a lot, but my Riseman is still ticking.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

I doubt there is any type of design issue and believe it's far more likely I just got one with a misaligned seal or something. An isolated incident.

I won't become a Riseman hater over this. If I get some type of warranty relief and I get another one, I will give it a shot and put it through it's paces, but if not... I won't be paying that $ a second time. Part of that is the sliver of doubt thing.

As much as I love that module, there are a couple of things that I would have liked to see different. I wish the watch were bigger. It doesn't have a very substantial feel to it. Also, I found the accuracy of the thermometer an annoyance. To get anything resembling an accurate reading, you have to take it off your wrist for 1/2 an hour. When I'm skiing, hiking, etc, I'm not going to bother doing that.

I liked the legibility and screen/dial layout. Loved having the time visible in other modes. This is my first atomic watch and the atomic/solar combo just plain rocks! As far as G's go, I think it's a cool looking design as well.

Will follow up and let you all know what happens relative to any warranty relief after I get back from vacation.
    --Steve
    --------------------
    "War and courage have done more than love of your neighbor. Not your pity but your bravery has saved the unfortunate thus far."
    --Nietzsche

Quick update: I somehow survived the rest of vacation with no watch. Called Casio USA, they gave me the website to inquire and start the return process. Within 2 days, my status says that the warranty has been accepted. Still not clear if it's a repair or replace. While it's a bit early, I'm real happy with the response so far. Thumbs up to Casio service.
    --Steve
    --------------------
    --Nietzsche

it could a lemon

but please let us know the end of the story

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information